U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Opinions of National Harbor:

1) Pressed for money. They charge for everything but entrance to the complex. But, I guess that's what the garage is for.
2) Parking prices are too high and no free parking; even if just select spots.
3) If a tourist destination, then having a tourist destination in my back yard.
4) If not a tourist destination, not having stores that service the community.
5) Too few stores, next to none for men.
6) Lack of quality restaurants.
7) Prices (everything...retail, restaurants, parking) vs. value
8) Lack of bike parking
9) The development is not intuitive. It's obvious by many city-data posts that no one knows what it is supposed to be (tourist destination, true MUD, etc.)
10) Seems detached from community

What would improve National Harbor (from a community perspective):
1) Get rid of Mayorga and go with Starbucks (better brand recognition)
2) Anchor store that is brand recognizable (department store)
3) Communication of development's vision and strategy (maybe that would increase/reduce some demographics' expectations)
4) Possibly lower rent for tenants as price points may be relative to rent
5) Attract complimentary retail brands and add like brands to increase competition and add for variety

The problem with the parking at National Harbor is solely reliant on the county. The harbor has nothing to do with the parking garage and parking meter fees, I agree they are outrageous and the business owners within the harbor are hurting because of it. They have had countless meetings regarding this situation and it all boiled down to the county having the only stake in the harbour and that is the parking fees- that is the only direct way it generates revenue. I, personally, think it is absurd and for the harbor to be in my backyard I can't easily commute there without paying an arm and leg to enjoy myself. As for the coffee shop, the whole point was to bring in a tenant that was local and organic and that was Mayorga. They didn't want a big name business, alot of the stores are locally owned businesses and/or franchises. Mind you, the restaurants are not, except for McCormicks- who is based out of this area.

The harbor is detached from the community, and it is not trying to be apart of it, I don't fault them entirely for that, they need to protect their investments because lets be real here, all the other surrounding areas aren't respected and crime is in issue. I can't even go to the Safeway without hearing another robbery or attempt made on someone either in the store or outside. I mean just on Oxon Hill road I saw some kids prying open the National Harbor rod iron fence- that now is an eye sore because the kids broke through somehow. I think the harbor needs to remain prestigious and not necessarily cater to the average folk- but I do think they should be some incentives for the locals so that we don't feel completely alienated. I has already written a letter regarding the Potomac Market and not being able to park and shop. I have never heard of paying to grocery shop. Whole Foods gives you 2 hours free- not sure why we can't get there. I go to Whole Foods more often than not and unfortunately VA sees alot fo money from their stores, I would gladly give it to PG County if they had something worth me giving it to you and weren't nickle and diming me in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 671 times
Wow. Let's start a new conversation...Regarding: Rental Properties
Can anyone list from 1-10, the counties that are best to look at. I am relocationg with no children, income is low 60's; of course these will be personal opinions but, I'd like to hear some suggestions. Please do not respond with anything regarding race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland