Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM

8 posts, read 22,784 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any information about Waldorf. I'm considering relocation with three children ages 13,9 & 6.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 PM

44,885 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Charles County Government - Charles County Maryland

La Plata, Maryland (http://www.mdmunicipal.org/cities/index.cfm?townname=LaPlata&page=home - broken link)

Waldorf is an unincorporated area in Charles County.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 01-09-2010 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: delete link to site in competition with C-D; violation of TOS

Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 PM

834 posts, read 2,811,822 times
I have lived in this general area all my life, and currently in LaPlata, MD. Waldorf is an unincorporated city of about 80,000 people. It has no industry, but is largely a bedroom community for the Washington DC area, especially for Andrews Air Force Base personnel. It also has a 2-level shopping mall and is the shopping and dining hub of a 3-county area. It also has a minor-league baseball team, and an ice rink. Much of Waldorf consists of "Saint Charles", a huge planned community which has been gradually developed over the past 40 years. Waldorf has all kinds and sizes of housing. I take it, you are a nurse? Do you have a job in Waldorf, or will you be commuting to another community such as to a Federal or military facility?

Last edited by knoxgarden; 01-09-2010 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderator actions is a violation of the TOS; please read it

Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 AM

8 posts, read 22,784 times
Yes I'm a nurse, I would like to work as close to home as possible. I may consider correctional nursing at a facility in Prince George county, but I will look in to the hospitals first. If you have any suggestions regarding a certain community please let me know. I have started researching schools for the kids and I would like my daughter to attend North Point for high school.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:14 PM

The 4 closest hospitals to Waldorf, are Southern Maryland Hospital Center in Clinton MD, Civista Medical Center in LaPlata MD (where I do volunteer work), Malcolm Grow Med.Ctr. at Andrews Air Force Base, and Fort Washington Hospital (very small) in Fort Washington MD.
North Point high school is one of 6 public HS's in Charles County. It is only about 2 years old and very large and modern. It is located several miles west of Waldorf near highway 228, and is a general HS for people of that neighborhood, as well as being a magnet school teaching high-tech classes to students from all over Charles County. It has an indoor pool. Housing near North Point includes singlefamily homes and also some very new townhouses about a mile from the school.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 AM

437 posts, read 1,223,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Waldorf ... is the shopping and dining hub of a 3-county area.
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, I'm just trying to get my head around this comment... You are talking about Charles County obviously and some parts of south PG, I guess - but what's the other county, Calvert? Seems to be a bit of a stretch to call it the hub of "a 3-county area" don't you think?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 AM

924 posts, read 2,594,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, I'm just trying to get my head around this comment... You are talking about Charles County obviously and some parts of south PG, I guess - but what's the other county, Calvert? Seems to be a bit of a stretch to call it the hub of "a 3-county area" don't you think?
The tri-county area is Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's... They comprise "Southern MD"...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
St. Charles Mall, to the best of my knowledge, is the ONLY enclosed shopping mall in the 3-county southern Maryland region. I have many friends who live as far north as the Beltway in P.G. County who habitually shop in Waldorf. While it's true that Calvert and St. Mary's County have Wal-Marts, Target, and Lowe's stores, theaters, and national chain restaurants, the St. Charles Mall is bigger and has even more stores (Waldorf also has more car dealers). Granted, I've heard many residents further south in MD say they avoid Waldorf which they perceive as having more crime and hoodlums, and for this reason they shop at Malls around the Annapolis area instead. Also for residents of King George VA, St. Charles Mall is equally distant for them as shopping in Fredericksburg VA.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 AM

437 posts, read 1,223,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
The tri-county area is Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's... They comprise "Southern MD"...
Fair enough, Waldorf certainly is the largest town in those three counties.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 AM

924 posts, read 2,594,029 times
Quote:
Fair enough, Waldorf certainly is the largest town in those three counties.
Absolutely, when I lived in St. Mary's county I always went to Waldorf to go to the mall and some of the restaurants we didn't have locally...

I also would like to note that Waldorf happens to be one of the biggest areas for crime in SOMD... Not that its that bad but it is certainly not as nice as it used to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland