Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM

51 posts, read 119,938 times

Advertisements

The only thing is we are not sure that he will always be working at Dahlgren. He has said already that he wants to transfer but right now we are just looking for a place to rent anyway. So we will wait to buy a place after he transfers. I'm just trying to get some ideas of neighborhood to stay away from in Waldorf and LaPlata since Waldorf has more housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
Well that is something to think about. Well I would do exactly what you all are doing which is rent. Come visit before you all come down. Take a look at Waldorf and LaPlata and decide what is best for you. LaPlata would probably be closer to Dahlgren. Also this will give you a chance to see if the D.C. area is where you want to settle down in. Best wishes to you my friend and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljdw View Post
The only thing is we are not sure that he will always be working at Dahlgren. He has said already that he wants to transfer but right now we are just looking for a place to rent anyway. So we will wait to buy a place after he transfers. I'm just trying to get some ideas of neighborhood to stay away from in Waldorf and LaPlata since Waldorf has more housing.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM

311 posts, read 1,386,197 times
In Waldorf, stay away from Bannister, Carrington, Acton, Lancaster, and you probably want to avoid most of the townhouse developments. That being said, I live in one of the above areas, and I have wonderful neighbors and a close knit little enclave. But since you sound skeptical, I included my area in the ones to stay away from because it has an undeserved bad rep. Actually, the only area named above that I would say you DEFINITELY AVOID AT ALL COSTS are Bannister and Carrington.

You might also want to consider White Plains, which sort of bleeds into Waldorf on the Southern edge. LaPlata is very nice but it's also very rural. It really has some nice neighborhoods. Also, your hubby will be a lot closer to Dahlgren. Have you considered King George? I love that area, and it's a hop skip and jump from Dahlgren but also probably too rural for you. Eutaw Forest in Waldorf is also very nice, as is Streamview, Hampshire, Wexford Village. However all of those areas except Eutaw Forest are going to put you in the thick of traffic. Eutaw Forest has a nice little short cut your husband could take to Dahlgren.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
In Waldorf, stay away from Bannister, Carrington, Acton, Lancaster, and you probably want to avoid most of the townhouse developments. That being said, I live in one of the above areas, and I have wonderful neighbors and a close knit little enclave. But since you sound skeptical, I included my area in the ones to stay away from because it has an undeserved bad rep. Actually, the only area named above that I would say you DEFINITELY AVOID AT ALL COSTS are Bannister and Carrington.

You might also want to consider White Plains, which sort of bleeds into Waldorf on the Southern edge. LaPlata is very nice but it's also very rural. It really has some nice neighborhoods. Also, your hubby will be a lot closer to Dahlgren. Have you considered King George? I love that area, and it's a hop skip and jump from Dahlgren but also probably too rural for you. Eutaw Forest in Waldorf is also very nice, as is Streamview, Hampshire, Wexford Village. However all of those areas except Eutaw Forest are going to put you in the thick of traffic. Eutaw Forest has a nice little short cut your husband could take to Dahlgren.
Thanks, this was exactly the information I was looking for! We saw a place in Lancaster but I didn't know how safe it is there. I don't mean to sound skeptical but it's just a lot of people keep saying to stay away from Waldorf and it does seem like there are some definite areas to avoid. I just don't want to rent in one of these unknowingly. I guess i'm a little paranoid, lol!

He also has been saying that he wants to look at King George but I thought it was extremely rural when I briefly visited last year. It could be better I guess? Do you know anything about that area? Also do you know of any townhomes that seem to be in a good area or should I ask which townhouses are in the best area? We are really leaning towards renting a townhouse hopefully with a backyard and 2 car garage. We saw a few of these but I've been looking so much I can't remember if I saw any in Waldorf or La Plata, lol.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 PM

King George is rural, although they do have some nice housing developments that are more suburbs than rural. You're also very close to Colonial Beach (maybe 20 minutes?) which would give you and your kids some fun in the summer. But honestly, the further away you get from Washingon D.C., the further away you will be from all the cool kid activities. I'm not saying by any means there is nothing for you to do, but much less out in southern maryland and Va.

I'm trying to recall where you could possibly have seen a townhouse with two car garage, and the only development I can think of would be the newer ones in White Plains. Could it possibly have been a duplex? there are some nice ones in LaPlata, the name escapes me but I believe it starts with an "A" -- Agropia or something like that? That's a nice area, but kind of cookie cutter and sterile to me. Crime is not a problem, though.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
Well I currently have a townhouse out in Lancaster. I thought it was alright. Seem quite. I think the thing with that development is that there are a lot of kids, and wannabe thugs out there. The kids tend to hang out in the middle of the complex a lot. So it might look light there up to no good, but there just really chillin with there friends. At least that is what I found. I know Charles County Sherriff's department was always out there. As for it's safety well lets just put it this way. I would feel safe to walk out there even in the middle of the night. Of course I am a guy so maybe that has something to do with it.

Waldorf is getting more integrated meaning more races are coming down to the area. Waldorf 10-15 years ago was a predominately White county. It is quickly changing from that. I think with the developments and increase in population, it is not the same as it was before. So maybe people who grew up there feel that the quite town is no longer a side of the road place. Lets just face the facts when you have an increase in population, crime does go up. Now is it through the roof, probably not, but increases never the less. I will say that Charles County Sherriffs department doesn't play. They are usually vigilant and available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljdw View Post
Thanks, this was exactly the information I was looking for! We saw a place in Lancaster but I didn't know how safe it is there. I don't mean to sound skeptical but it's just a lot of people keep saying to stay away from Waldorf and it does seem like there are some definite areas to avoid. I just don't want to rent in one of these unknowingly. I guess i'm a little paranoid, lol!

He also has been saying that he wants to look at King George but I thought it was extremely rural when I briefly visited last year. It could be better I guess? Do you know anything about that area? Also do you know of any townhomes that seem to be in a good area or should I ask which townhouses are in the best area? We are really leaning towards renting a townhouse hopefully with a backyard and 2 car garage. We saw a few of these but I've been looking so much I can't remember if I saw any in Waldorf or La Plata, lol.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Jayman, I pretty much agree with your assessment about Lancaster, but to someone who is already skeptical it will probably seem a bit of a concern. You are so right about the wannabee thugs, and about Charles County police on a mission. I personally wouldn't mind Lancaster but the OP may think it's shakey.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 AM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times
King George has opened a new family YMCA. There are many discussions about King George, here on the "VIRGINIA" forum. In the search box, type "King George" or "Dahlgren".

Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of the information! I'm also happy to hear that Waldorf isn't as bad as it seems from looking online, lol.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,312 times
Is bannister bad because of the loitering or bad because of homicide...armed robberies...etc????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland