Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 AM

56 posts, read 207,562 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Reston, VA and my husband works in DC. The commute from here is obviously not great, so we know what we're in for in general in this area. But we would like to move to a smaller, slower, less crowded town to buy a house as we have small children.

Tell me about the commute to DC from places like Chesapeake Beach. Do many people commute to DC from out there? Do they drive all the way in or take the Metro or is there some other option? About how long does it take? Like I said, we know and accept a lengthy commute. From Reston it takes a little over an hour on public transit. I just wonder if it's any better or worse from out in Calvert County, an area that we may enjoy more.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 10,760 times
Reston! Argh! This is my two cents worth. We lived in Fort Washington and my wife worked in Lanham. We moved to Chesapeake Beach. My wife was not sure of the commute either. So...I suggested that she get up one morning and drive to where we were planning on moving and drive to work like normal. She also drove it on a weekend, twice. She was happy with the nice 45 minute commute, so we moved. Smartest thing we ever did. I had two children go to school and grow up here and life is good. BTW, your commute to DC will vary on time you leave and where you work in DC. From 40 to 75 minutes.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivettijensen View Post
We currently live in Reston, VA and my husband works in DC. The commute from here is obviously not great, so we know what we're in for in general in this area. But we would like to move to a smaller, slower, less crowded town to buy a house as we have small children.

Tell me about the commute to DC from places like Chesapeake Beach. Do many people commute to DC from out there? Do they drive all the way in or take the Metro or is there some other option? About how long does it take? Like I said, we know and accept a lengthy commute. From Reston it takes a little over an hour on public transit. I just wonder if it's any better or worse from out in Calvert County, an area that we may enjoy more.

Thanks for the help!
Go to the Maryland Department of Transportation website, to see schedules of commuter busses from Calvert County to D.C. Vanpooling is also very popular in Calvert County. Also, see the other very recent discussions, here, which go into great detail describing Chesapeake Beach.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,848 times
Well it all depends on the time you have to be at work. Look for a commute with no traffic to be about 45 mins. With traffic about a hour and some change. Coming from Route 4, traffic gets slow around upper Marlboro near the beltway. While Southern Maryland's traffic isn't as bad as Northern Virginia, I don't think it would be that much better, plus the metro isn't that convenient to get to.

The plus side of staying in Calvert county is that housing and property taxes are generally cheaper than Fairfax county.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,322 times
Depends a great deal on what time you leave / need to be at work.

If you work in DC and need to be in the office by 8:30, you're could see 1:15 from Chesapeake Beach.

If you need to be there by 9:00, more like 1 hour.

If you need to be there by 10:00, you can do 45 minutes.

Of course, a wreck or weather can mess with this. Choke points include:

Route 4/Suitland connection
Suitland basically inside DC
South Cap / 11th Bridge
The SE/SW Freeway

My best time from C. Beach to the US Capitol was 37 minutes. I hit every light on the Suitland perfect and probably went a bit faster than I was supposed to.

Buses are numerous, but they are geared toward people who work early and leave early. Last bus to DC is 7:20 am and the last bus out this way leaves downtown DC around 5:45, which never really worked for us.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 AM

15 posts, read 30,734 times
How is this commute currently? I would be going to the blue plains area where I-295 connects to the beltway. How long a commute would that be from Calvert County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland