Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 PM

40 posts, read 91,374 times

Advertisements

Gaithersburg is one of a couple places I am interviewing and I feel at this point I have at least done as much "internet research" as possible.

Family of 4, coming from Southern California, looking for house at ~$750,000, priority is schools for sure, and for the sake of family am happy to commute up to 45-60 minutes if it puts us in a better overall situation.

I know...I know, internet research can't take a lot of things into account and I understand that, but given what I am working with, biased based on one parameter or another, I am leaning towards the following since I am gonna follow the numbers:

Montgomery County
Parts of Bethesda, Rockville, Potomac (based on anchoring to Walt Whitman, Thomas Wooton, or Winston Churchill High schools).

Howard County
I tried to research areas not too far east within Howard county that were anchored to their best high schools and my list was

- Glenelg
- Clarksville
- Marriotsville
- Columbia

and maybe, if not too far of a commute, parts of Ellicott City. These dont look to far but I dont know the traffic patterns well enough and really hope you can let me know if I am on or off base.

I am most interested in the Howard County cities noted above so please, to the extent you can average, how long of a commute are we talking for 'normal' start and stop times at work?

Thanks so much in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 05:48 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesluopge View Post
Gaithersburg is one of a couple places I am interviewing and I feel at this point I have at least done as much "internet research" as possible.

Family of 4, coming from Southern California, looking for house at ~$750,000, priority is schools for sure, and for the sake of family am happy to commute up to 45-60 minutes if it puts us in a better overall situation.

I know...I know, internet research can't take a lot of things into account and I understand that, but given what I am working with, biased based on one parameter or another, I am leaning towards the following since I am gonna follow the numbers:

Montgomery County
Parts of Bethesda, Rockville, Potomac (based on anchoring to Walt Whitman, Thomas Wooton, or Winston Churchill High schools).

Howard County
I tried to research areas not too far east within Howard county that were anchored to their best high schools and my list was

- Glenelg
- Clarksville
- Marriotsville
- Columbia

and maybe, if not too far of a commute, parts of Ellicott City. These dont look to far but I dont know the traffic patterns well enough and really hope you can let me know if I am on or off base.

I am most interested in the Howard County cities noted above so please, to the extent you can average, how long of a commute are we talking for 'normal' start and stop times at work?

Thanks so much in advance
With that budget I would stick to MC and zone in on Wooton. Try and find a house in the Falls Rd vicinity, especially Coppenhaver(sp) development, which are older houses exactly like mine. The commute from there to Gaithersburg is a piece of cake, I should know as I travel the route alot.

With kids you will thoroughly enjoy living up in that area as there's a whole lot for them to do. From swimming, basketball, field hockey, ice hockey, ice skating, lacrosse, track, wrestling, baseball, football..and on and on...

I would rent for a year and get to know the area before buying, as there's just so much variety in the areas you mention.

If your job ends up in Howard county, look into West Friendship Heights for a home.

Last edited by tonyc; 02-04-2010 at 06:20 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
With that budget I would stick to MC and zone in on Wooton. Try and find a house in the Falls Rd vicinity, especially Coppenhaver(sp) development, which are older houses exactly like mine. The commute from there to Gaithersburg is a piece of cake, I should know as I travel the route alot.

With kids you will thoroughly enjoy living up in that area as there's a whole lot for them to do. From swimming, basketball, field hockey, ice hockey, ice skating, lacrosse, track, wrestling, baseball, football..and on and on...

I would rent for a year and get to know the area before buying, as there's just so much variety in the areas you mention.

If your job ends up in Howard county, look into West Friendship Heights for a home.
thanks so much for the specificity! I will definitely check it out. I am interviewing next week and will literally look at that area to get a feel for it.

My wife I know will not want to rent for too long as she wants to "settle" asap, and I will respect that. However, things are moving much faster than I had planned and if things work out I would actually move ahead of the family with them joining me after their school year ends thus, at least giving me some time to check around to your point.

As relates to Howard county, why is it that you seemingly discouraged that? I acknowledge parts of MoCo are great, as you note, but for completness didnt want to close the door on Howard. Is it the commute that is the turn off? etc? Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
thanks so much for the specificity! I will definitely check it out. I am interviewing next week and will literally look at that area to get a feel for it.

My wife I know will not want to rent for too long as she wants to "settle" asap, and I will respect that. However, things are moving much faster than I had planned and if things work out I would actually move ahead of the family with them joining me after their school year ends thus, at least giving me some time to check around to your point.

As relates to Howard county, why is it that you seemingly discouraged that? I acknowledge parts of MoCo are great, as you note, but for completness didnt want to close the door on Howard. Is it the commute that is the turn off? etc? Thanks again for your help!
I've never lived in Howard, but I have friends that live there. I've lived in MC since 1987 (moved from NYC) and have grown to love it. Howard is a great location if you work in Baltimore or downtown DC and want to be closer to the Eastern shore. All of my jobs (IT) have been in NOVA so I've always needed to be on that side of the beltway, closer to VA.

There's a few threads on here comparing Ellicot City in Howard to Rockville MC with a lot of good info'. Do a search as you may find the info' handy.

I will definietely take my time as homes in the $750k bracket aren't moving quickly. You got time on your side.

How old are the kids?

Just found this... http://www.copenhaverhomes.com/

Last edited by tonyc; 02-04-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM

Sort of in you ballpark range... Homes in Copenhaver Potomac MD 20854 | MoCo Real Estate

Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I've never lived in Howard, but I have friends that live there. I've lived in MC since 1987 (moved from NYC) and have grown to love it. Howard is a great location if you work in Baltimore or downtown DC and want to be closer to the Eastern shore. All of my jobs (IT) have been in NOVA so I've always needed to be on that side of the beltway, closer to VA.

There's a few threads on here comparing Ellicot City in Howard to Rockville MC with a lot of good info'. Do a search as you may find the info' handy.

I will definietely take my time as homes in the $750k bracket aren't moving quickly. You got time on your side.

How old are the kids?

Just found this... Welcome to the Copenhaver Homes Corporation
thanks so much...again Indeed, I will do whatever I can to not rush things. On this end, fortunately there is not a single home in my neighborhood for sale and its usually not too hard to sell thankfully.

Kids are 8, 10, 12, 14

and thanks for the advice to search on the comparison...will do just that

Old 02-04-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
thanks so much...again Indeed, I will do whatever I can to not rush things. On this end, fortunately there is not a single home in my neighborhood for sale and its usually not too hard to sell thankfully.

Kids are 8, 10, 12, 14

and thanks for the advice to search on the comparison...will do just that
Wow..8 - 14, you're gonna be busy in MD. I have a 9 and 12 year old, and between soccer, wrestling, swimming and ice skating I haven't been able to get much 'me' time lately.

Your kids will love it here; there's alot to do in the summer - the beaches are 4 - 8 hours away. From flat to waves if you're into water sports, with the water warmer than out west, and also in the winter skiing withing a couple hours ...too much snow as of late though...

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Wow..8 - 14, you're gonna be busy in MD. I have a 9 and 12 year old, and between soccer, wrestling, swimming and ice skating I haven't been able to get much 'me' time lately.

Your kids will love it here; there's alot to do in the summer - the beaches are 4 - 8 hours away. From flat to waves if you're into water sports, with the water warmer than out west, and also in the winter skiing withing a couple hours ...too much snow as of late though...
yes, tell me about it regarding the kids

I can say 100% for my wife, the MOST important thing for her is ease of getting around, to include schools, girls' dance studio, son tae kwon do, etc. So...on one hand Rockville sounds great as it has it all within a small area yet on the other the traffic sounds bad which may actually make it worse????

I am going nutz trying to use the internet via searches and otherwise to undrstand the important nuances between Potomac, Rockville, and Bethesda. On paper, the 3 high schools i noted are all very good but it sure seems there is something magical about that distinguishes it.

I get the flavor of differences between say Howard County and Rockville but would you say, given your fondness of Rockville, that Bethesda and/or Potomac might also work? I will learn more next week I am sure when I visit but just trying to pacify my OCD prior to the trip

Also, as expected, while there are other nice homes in Rockville, the ones not associated with the school district I would want are cheaper, but that will not sway me.

thanks again!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 AM

38 posts, read 148,946 times
There is a shortcut if you are commuting from Howard County to Gaithersburg. I used to go from Germantown to Columbia and it took 45 minuts, so I imagine that it would have about 30 minute to got from Gaithersburg to Columbia. From Columbia, you take 108 to Montgomery County/Olney and make a left on Bowie Mill Road and then a right on to Muncaster Mill Road and then a left onto Shady Grove Road--You'll be in Gaithersburg in no time. I'm not sure what the commute is like during rush hour. It's been a while since I have driven this route during rush hour, but 108 is much better than the beltway. There are probably other shortcuts as well...

Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDkid View Post
There is a shortcut if you are commuting from Howard County to Gaithersburg. I used to go from Germantown to Columbia and it took 45 minuts, so I imagine that it would have about 30 minute to got from Gaithersburg to Columbia. From Columbia, you take 108 to Montgomery County/Olney and make a left on Bowie Mill Road and then a right on to Muncaster Mill Road and then a left onto Shady Grove Road--You'll be in Gaithersburg in no time. I'm not sure what the commute is like during rush hour. It's been a while since I have driven this route during rush hour, but 108 is much better than the beltway. There are probably other shortcuts as well...
There's even a shorter one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland