Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:08 PM

932 posts, read 1,675,032 times

Advertisements

I would love to be like everybody in the PGC forums and bash Silver Spring like crazy for its high crime and illegal immigrants, but I won't because I am above that. j/k.

Anyway, my suggestion is that you should look for apartments in you price range and then come visit there. Take in the sites and sounds for yourself and see if you could see yourself living there. It maybe some place that you will come to love. It is a very diverse place and I have college friends that live there and they came from great schools there.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,110 times
I just moved to Silver Spring recently and am pretty happy with it so far. Certain parts are a little rough around the edges, but overall it seems like a safe area. It's often compared (unfavorably) to its neighbor Bethesda, which is more upscale but also quite a bit more expensive....if Bethesda is like Park Avenue, Silver Spring is like the Lower East Side, to use NYC as a point of reference. SS is becoming more expensive as it develops and more professionals move in, but it's still a pretty good bargain considering its convenience to downtown DC. (I'm paying about $1100/month for an apartment now and can walk to the Metro in 5 minutes....you'd be hard-pressed to find that in Bethesda, Arlington, or any decent area in DC.) I'd recommend checking it out and seeing which areas you like, because some parts are much nicer than others.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 PM

46 posts, read 224,185 times
Silver Spring is very nice. Try to get an apt. on GA. Ave. inside the Beltway
near the metro--apt. high rises available and they are very nice. Major revitalization is near the Silver Spring Metro and you have alot a great mix of restaurants, theaters, the AFI, and bookstores. DC is 1/2 mile away.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:57 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,292,136 times
Certain parts of silver spring is nice which is zipcode 20910. places I would aviod in Silver spring is Briggs chaney,Wheaton, WHite Oak, Burtonsville anythng on New Hampshire Avenue i would avoid because in my opinion new Hampshire avenue is one of the worst areas in Silver Spring. nothing but illegals who cannot drive. Majority of the drugs and gang activities are around New Hampshire Avenue.
If I had to live in SIlver Spring I would only live in zipcode 20910 which is downtown Silverspring.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 AM

I know everything about SIlver Spring. I use to live in Briggs Chaney, White Oak, Down Town Silver Spring and Burtonsville. I still visit New Hampshire Avenue as a matter of fact I go to New Hampshire in Silver Spring almost everyday to visit friends and family. The apartments on New Hampshire are nothing but illegals and criminals that take over the complex. WHite Oak is further up on New Hampshire Avenue. The bad activities on the lower end of New HAmpshire goes straight to White Oak. The K-6 bus connects Langley park,New Hampshire and White Oak together. If you go to the Sears in WHite Oak its full of hispanics. If you donot speak spanish you should not go to that Sears. Anyone who have live in the apartments in Briggs chaney can tell you about the drugs activity. Burtonsville is just like Briggs Chaney because they are right by each other so the bad of Briggs Chaney would go right to Burtonsville.
These are all facts. I know all the areas in Silver Spring. If you give me a zipcode I can tell you the area just by the zipcode. I know SIlver Spring areas like the back of my hands.
Down Town Silver Spring is nice. My husband and i use to go to Down Town SIlver Spring and walk around or go out to eat. The Mall City Place mall which is the mall in DOwn Town Silver Spring needs to be torn down. The mall is very low budget mall and Montgomery County can do better but I guess the county put all their money into Rockeville and Bethesda. City Place mall is horrible. If you want to shop you would have to either go to Bethesda or Rockeville.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 AM

551 posts, read 1,872,156 times
I lived for 12 years in the Woodmoor area of Silver Spring (20901). It is nice there.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 PM

PG county the New Hampshire Avenue and University Blvd corridor is an area that is seeing alot of crime. There is gang activity and robberies. Read the PG Gazette and read the crime stats in the paper. This is the area called Langley Park. It is rough. It is overcrowded and overpriced. It has rundown apts galore. But it has a huge amount of immigrants who work hard and are buying overpriced houses and in order to pay the mortgage have to rent rooms.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 PM

People tend to put together Langley Park and Pg county but they forget that half of Langley Park is on Pg county side and the other half is on Montgomery county. Majority of New Hampshire is on Montgomery county side as well. I know because when I was attending Montgomey Blai r High school, my friends who lived on New hampshire ave across from the SafeWay in Langley Park attend Montgomery Blair High school. I had a few friends who lived in Hampshire towers apartment about 2 minutes walk from Langley Park went to Montgomery Blair High school as well. They had a Montgoery county school bus. Langley Park is a big problem. I hate drivng down there. The apartments are too expensive for a roach motel. A one bedroom is about1k a month for no reason at all.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,539,793 times
I grew up in Langley Park on New Hampshire Avenue, PG County side. Definitely changed since I lived there. Its like a whole other country now. It has an open air market feel to it. Used cars lined all up and down University Boulevard with tons of people strolling the street looking at them and vendors set up in front of the apartments (from sodas to full-service roach coaches). Yep, definitely different.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Silver Spring is very nice. Especially the area that borders Sligo Creek Parkway. There are great restaurants and theaters. It is worth moving there for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland