Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times

Advertisements

I am looking into an appt. at the Palisades on Cordell Ave. I am 23 years old and would prefer an appt. building where there are some young people living that I can associate with and have things in common with. Where I am living now is so dead and i see no one around. Please someone who lives in the building or know of the rentors let me know if this would be a good choice for me. Pros and cons of the building would be appreciated also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 AM

605 posts, read 2,153,686 times
The Palisades is a nice building. It puts you within a 15-20 walk of Metro and close to shopping and dining in Bethesda. There's even a yoga studio on the top floor, if that's your thing.

Bethesda, however, is more for the stroller set than young 20-somethings. I've known a few younger folks who have rented there, and I've certainly been among the under-30s out in its bars and restaurants. The trouble is that the area is mostly single family homes and luxury condos that sell for more than most young people can afford. (That one of the DC area's two Mercedes Benz dealerships is in Bethesda should tell you something.) Having worked in Bethesda for years and having grown up in a neighboring 'burb, it seems to me that the majority of people in B'da are affluent parents in their early 40s. You can't go out on Bethesda Row during the day without getting your ankle clipped by a stroller. On the up-side Bethesda is a relatively affordable place to rent and be close to areas of DC and VA where there are more 20-somethings.

Where will you be working? Depending on your commute, you might want to look into Rockville or the Clarendon/Ballston/VA Square corridor.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 PM

46 posts, read 153,906 times
I have been checking out the Palisades in Bethesda too. It seems luxurious and affordable to rent.

I will be working at Gallaudet University in D.C. (Northeast section) at corners of New York and Florida Avenues. What would my commute be like from the Palisades to Gallaudet?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM

605 posts, read 2,153,686 times
You can walk to the Bethesda Metro in 15-20 minutes and then take the red line from Bethesda to Brookland in about 30 minutes. it will cost you $3.20 each way. Google Maps thinks that the drive is 30 minutes without traffic. Looking at the suggested route, it appears to be a 45 minute rush hour commute by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland