U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,814 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I work in Suitland, MD and am thinking of moving to Silver Spring, MD.

What is the traffic like on 495 from Silver Spring to Suitland in the mornings around 6:30 to 7 AM and Suitland to Silver Spring from 3:30 to 4:30 PM?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 AM

7,954 posts, read 8,371,614 times
Those times shouldn't be TOOOO bad. But I'd get on the Beltway no later than 7a. after that things get congested quickly. Same for the afternoon. I think the Beltway COULD be bad -- or at minimum 'catch as catch can' -- at those times no matter which direction you're traveling. It just depends.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,007,872 times
I'd skip the Beltway altogether and go local. Like 16th St. left on Blair Road, to No. Capitol St., wind your way around the Capitol, then on to 295 S., take the Howard Road exit, then get on Suitland Pkwy. Or take Pennsylvania Ave./Rt. 4 instead of the parkway. Don't quote me on the details here, but that's generally how you would do it from Silver Spring. To me, the Beltway sucks either direction during the rush hours. Is the local way worth it? It may be extra time, but the peace of mind may be worth it. Also, I would think you'd be against traffic with the local route, especially around the times you are mentioning. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM

3,521 posts, read 8,433,403 times
The Beltway on the east side of DC (or more generally Prince George's County) is nowhere near as bad at rush hours as it is on the rest of the Beltway. I think you'd probably be okay.

I would NOT use the Blair Road to North Capitol Street to Pennsylvania Avenue route - I've personally driven the first two parts of that during rush hour (or even during off-peak times) and it usually is a pain in the butt.

If you live and work near the Metro stations in Silver Spring and Suitland (like the Census Bureau in the latter case), the Metro is definitely a reasonable option, though the ride would be a long one.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 20,282 times
I commute from Silver Spring to Upper Marlboro (exit 11a) for work and I hardly hit any traffic in the morning (I leave my house at 7:30am). Coming back home, I usually hit traffic around the College Park area and the 495-95 split, but it's not terrible. It takes me 40-45 minutes to get to work in the morning and about 50-60mins to get home in the evening. I hope this helps!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:16 PM

13,936 posts, read 21,364,831 times
I'm not getting why anyone would recommend the beltway to get to Suitland from Silver Spring. That's the long way around.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 PM

512 posts, read 1,488,536 times
Well my friend it is actually the fastest way to get to Suitland. If your coming from the White Oak/New Hampshire ave exit you really don't hit traffic like that. Usually 495 North and South slows down around College Park area. Not saying this is the only way, but it's the fastest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm not getting why anyone would recommend the beltway to get to Suitland from Silver Spring. That's the long way around.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,795 times
I work in Suitland also does anyone know of any van pools. The only ones I see come from the VA area not Maryland

Old 08-14-2011, 12:52 PM

19 posts, read 73,104 times
I live in SS and have commuted all over the metro area, that commute is not bad at all for the area. I used to do SS to Lanham and it took me about 20 minutes each way, as others have said the east side of the beltway through PG county is much better than the rest. The worst by far in my opinion is the Bethesda - Tysons stretch.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,470,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecommute View Post
I work in Suitland also does anyone know of any van pools. The only ones I see come from the VA area not Maryland
the metro does go there you know take red line to green line at chinatown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland