U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2010, 02:53 PM

20 posts, read 35,423 times

Advertisements

tks guys! i think i got a better view now...don't mean for this thread to be overkill, or to become annoying..i know DC has a lot to offer, this is just a minor thing that's been on my mind a lot recently.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 PM

9,999 posts, read 8,848,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Just use common sense...
-do not wear ipod head phones on the street or metro
-do not walk alone if you can help it or at least follow a group
-stay on well lit paths
-stay out of the area's that have problems
-just don't carry everything you own on you..I only carry 20-40 dollars and a drivers license. My cc/debit and other cards sit at home in my desk....
I've never followed any of those rules (agree that the iPod one is common sense) and no one's bothered me yet. There are a few really rough hoods but you'll have no reason to go out to them. I don't personally know of anyone who's been mugged, but I guess that doesn't mean too much.

I think you're overthinking it and reading too much media hype.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM

123 posts, read 296,661 times
Quote:
Just use common sense...
-do not wear ipod head phones on the street or metro
-do not walk alone if you can help it or at least follow a group
-stay on well lit paths
-stay out of the area's that have problems
-just don't carry everything you own on you..I only carry 20-40 dollars and a drivers license. My cc/debit and other cards sit at home in my desk....

you shouldn't live in so much fear...

Old 06-11-2010, 12:07 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,098,990 times
I'm 6'2 190 lbs and pretty athletic...I'm not scared like 90 percent of the board. But I used common street sense to avoid trouble and headaches for myself...I don't think a person needs to carry everything they own everyday for work..... leave the cc's, birth certificates, social security cards at home...

Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,846,369 times
Who the hell carries their birth certificate with them? This ain't Arizona.

And also why would you leave your credit cards at home? Just jot down the number for the stolen card line so you can cancel it ASAP. They remove all charges that may have been made after it was stolen. The benefits of carrying my debit and credit cards far outweight the negatives. For one, I don't get cashback at the gas station or supermarket using cash

Old 06-11-2010, 09:49 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,990,842 times
Quote:
I'm 6'2 190 lbs and pretty athletic...I'm not scared like 90 percent of the board. But I used common street sense to avoid trouble and headaches for myself...I don't think a person needs to carry everything they own everyday for work..... leave the cc's, birth certificates, social security cards at home...
If you're leaving your credit cards at home when you go out, you're scared.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 AM

264 posts, read 260,573 times
In all honesty, NE DC is likely one of the safest areas of any major North American city. By your comment, I have to suspect that you've never visited this area before. Attending a major university in DC would probably be more akin to "visiting Disneyland" than the preconceived fantasy you seem to harbor about living in the city.

In any case, the odds of ever being mugged in a place like NE DC, for instance, are probably much less than being gunned down or kidnapped by an illegal alien narcotics trafficker in Arizona.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 AM

11 posts, read 49,764 times
Dude - you're 6'6" for the most part, people generally won't target you. If you're the only "target" and they are desperate, then yes they will mug you. But as everyone else has posted, just be wise and don't walk around late and in shady areas.
I am a short, small town girl and have been living in lush, beautiful NW for the past 4 years and love it, it doesn't look like a city, it doesn't feel like a city, and the cops tease each other about working in the "country club". I live a block from a police station, and feel really safe. I LOVE this city and hopefully you will too!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,634,977 times
I'm the only one that uses an iPod? haha I ALWAYS have mine on. What's the point of having one if you're scared to listen to it?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 AM

20 posts, read 35,423 times
tks dudes and dudettes!

can't wait for the big move..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC