Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

What would it take for the District of Columbia to win a bid for the 2028 summer games? Do you think that security concerns are too great to ever make DC a possible host city? If DC were to enter a bid, what improvements would the city have to make, and how would you envision the Games playing out with the several sports venues the region has to offer? (in other words, would you have some events in Baltimore or Fairfax County?). Also, what are the strongest selling points for the District and how would the District have to market itself in order to be competitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,234 times
First off, they would have to get rid of that ancient RFK stadium and too-far-out there FedEx Field. They should consolidate new stadiums around Nationals Park and the near SE/SW area. It is ripe for development. That area would also a make great Olympic Village and won't be too far from the Capital/National Mall.

As for transportation, maybe a few street car lines and bus lines would help deal with the enormous crowds.

I wouldn't host any events in Baltimore though. It's too far and has a totally different feel than DC. Though I could see some events being held in Annapolis. I think the Potomac (if they clean it) would be great for some water events, plus the background would be dramatic.

I don't think security would be a too big concern. If anything it will help win a bid, since DC is used to holding big events on an international stage.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Aren't most Olympic games a net loss for the city that hosts them?

And yeah, the Potomac would make for nice water events. Good luck cleaning it by 2028 without that water purifier from Fallout 3.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Aren't most Olympic games a net loss for the city that hosts them?

And yeah, the Potomac would make for nice water events. Good luck cleaning it by 2028 without that water purifier from Fallout 3.
Not all the time. If managed right, a city can turn a profit. Though Athens sure did set a bad example.

China: Olympics turned a profit - UPI.com

And speaking of which, won't DC look like it does in Fallout 3 by 2028? Scary...

Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
2028? sheeeeeesh I'll be 38, talk about old.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
2028? sheeeeeesh I'll be 38

Old 06-10-2010, 12:29 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Not all the time. If managed right, a city can turn a profit. Though Athens sure did set a bad example.

China: Olympics turned a profit - UPI.com

And speaking of which, won't DC look like it does in Fallout 3 by 2028? Scary...
Was going to say that "Foreign countries don't count since they're propped up by their national governments despite the city that holds it" then I realized who has a stake in DC's budget.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,322 times
DC was a bidder for the 2012 games in a combined DC-Baltimore bid, but it was taken off the table for political reasons.

Washington-Baltimore Olympic Bid Eliminated By Committee - The Tech

If you google around you can still find some of the bid proposals, including what stadiums would be used and what transport facilities needed upgrading.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
First off, they would have to get rid of that ancient RFK stadium and too-far-out there FedEx Field. They should consolidate new stadiums around Nationals Park and the near SE/SW area. It is ripe for development. That area would also a make great Olympic Village and won't be too far from the Capital/National Mall.

As for transportation, maybe a few street car lines and bus lines would help deal with the enormous crowds.

I wouldn't host any events in Baltimore though. It's too far and has a totally different feel than DC. Though I could see some events being held in Annapolis. I think the Potomac (if they clean it) would be great for some water events, plus the background would be dramatic.

I don't think security would be a too big concern. If anything it will help win a bid, since DC is used to holding big events on an international stage.
I agree that building a new stadium near Nationals Park would be a good idea. Turn the whole area into a sports district.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
If they would ever decide to move forward with something like this, I just want to make certain I am as far away as possible when it occurs. Could you imagine Metro with the addition of hundreds of thousands of spectators, athletes, media and such? It'd be like the Obama inauguration, for weeks.

It hurts the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: