Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

IF you were to go to TEMP AGENCIES...(admin type jobs)...how much would you earn per hour? Generally?

In DC, of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 AM

32 posts, read 60,156 times
Hmm... I worked for a temp agency while in grad school, this was back in 2004 but I was earning $14/hour. I had one part time job (for a semester) and one full time job (for a summer).

Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
That's low! I would have thought DC would pay more for temp work admin work.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 AM

32 posts, read 60,156 times
It was a couple years ago (2004) so the rate may have gone up a couple dollars since then. But I think it depends on what the temp agency charges the company... it could differ from job to job within the same temp agency. It's probably better to call a few and ask about the rate than to rely on my experience six years ago

Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
I've worked with three different agencies over the past 7 years (during two separate job searches). I was also employed in-house at one temp agency for a little under a year.

For a run-of-the-mill administrative assignment -- receptionist, file clerk, secretary -- you can expect to make anywhere between $9 and $13 per hour. The company using your services then pays the temp agency a 50 to 100 percent mark-up on that amount for their services.

The client companies where temps work are usually trying to pay less for a temp than they would for full-time labor. Since FT entry-level admin. jobs usually pay between $35-50k/yr., you can see how this works out to be a really crummy deal for the temp who usually only gets 50 to 65 percent of that amount and no benefits. Agencies often try to lure in temps telling them that they could be hired permanently at a client company. Such gigs are rare, though. The client company usually has to pay 50% of your first-year salary to the temp agency if it wishes to retain you permanently. Even though finding good talent is challenging, it usually does not cost a company more than $25k in time and advertising. Often, companies are conducting their own search for a full-time employee while paying a temp. If one does get hired for a full-time position, there is a tremendous incentive on the part of the client company to offer a low salary.

If you have specific law or accounting experience, you can sometimes get a higher rate as a temp. Just be sure to go through an agency that specializes in those industries, such as Accountemps. Also, government contracting experience is a real plus. You can get yourself bumped up to around $20 per hour if you have proposal or grant writing experience. Such jobs are also likely to give you overtime if you are deadlining on a specific proposal. Graphic design, computer programming, and website programming will also earn you a premium. Those are the only jobs I've ever seen that will pay a temp over the $20/hr. mark. Here again, you want to go through a specialty agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC