Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Anybody in the DC area that never heard of go-go needs to be pointed to the nearest cliff

Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And in that very large population, there is a very sizable number that has never heard of Go-Go.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
And in that very large population, there is a very sizable number that has never heard of Go-Go. The next time you're in South Jersey, ask someone if they've ever heard of a Philly cheesesteak and note the response you get. There is a difference between a culture and a sub-culture.
That's the second time you are comparing foods to music. Thats like me comparing that New Orleans music you talked about to po' boy sandwiches. I know there is a difference between subculture and culture and I am telling you that Go-Go is part of the culture of DC. That's just a fact. Especially so with D.C. residents and even more so D.C. native born residents. Even the the native born population of PG and Montgomery County know about Go-Go in very high percentages.

Now if you are going to try and say that the transients and transplants constitute as the culture of DC, you would be incorrect.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 AM

331 posts, read 1,198,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
That's the second time you are comparing foods to music. Thats like me comparing that New Orleans music you talked about to po' boy sandwiches. I know there is a difference between subculture and culture and I am telling you that Go-Go is part of the culture of DC. That's just a fact. Especially so with D.C. residents and even more so D.C. native born residents. Even the the native born population of PG and Montgomery County know about Go-Go in very high percentages.

Now if you are going to try and say that the transients and transplants constitute as the culture of DC, you would be incorrect.

As Chuck Brown would say, "Sure you right!"

Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitches77 View Post

Straight Edge: Invented here, a Youth subculture against drugs, booz & illicit sex, DC clubs put X's on minors hands & Minor Threat started the movement.
And a very self-righteous group of people they were. How does forming a movement of uptight people count as a cultural accomplishment?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Anybody in the DC area that never heard of go-go needs to be pointed to the nearest cliff
That would include 98.5% of Congress, so I'm with ya.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 PM

19 posts, read 27,437 times
OrlandoRE_Miracle: I know what yer saying about the whole SE uptight thing, I definetely agree there are many of those types out there nowadays and back then, there's always elitists in any group and that whole attitude sucks. I'm with you on that. But not all of them are that way. All I was saying was that's another trend that came outta DC. Not a bad alternative for kids who could just as easily be doing drugs as a trend.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
Quote:
That would include 98.5% of Congress, so I'm with ya.
Not a bad idea lol

Old 06-18-2010, 04:05 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
Then you and I are on the same page. We know it's about race, really.

I was born and raised here too and used to hate when we would visit relatives down south and would be asked questions like, "have you ever seen the President? been to the White House", etc. It was hard explaining to people that the city has a history and neighborhoods that have nothing to with government and monuments. The city is like any other city with neighborhoods, real live people living, working, raising families. Visiting the museums and monuments were elementary school trips. By the time I was a young adult I wasn't thinking about those buildings!!

There is a culture here -- an African-American or Black American culture. DC even has an official dance. It's called DC hand-dancing. It's a variation of swing dancing. It's called different things in different cities (Philly bop, Chicago Step, Detroit Ballroom, and New York Hustle).

That's all I'm sharing for now. I'm here to educate but I don't think half the people on this forum care to know.
Looked a video of the dance....I highly doubt Detroit ballroom came from it...or the Chitown step for that matter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC