U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
673 posts, read 820,412 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

Imo the order is

transportation: Dc
shopping: Baltimore
muesums: Dc
visual arts: Baltimore
architecture: Baltimore
diversity: Dc
crime: Baltimore
music: Depends
safe: Dc

 
Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 PM
 
114 posts, read 130,580 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
Imo the order is

transportation: Dc
shopping: Baltimore
muesums: Dc
visual arts: Baltimore
architecture: Baltimore
diversity: Dc
crime: Baltimore
music: Depends
safe: Dc
funny stuff boy
 
Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 PM
 
114 posts, read 130,580 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
SON,

HALF the problem with D.C. is yall feel your better than EVERYOTHER city yo. When wholetime your city is full of yuppies. The only time D.C. is vibrant is on the weekends. Your downtown is WACK all the buildings are flat and look the same. You guys have no culture at all, because everybody that live there is transplants. Except southeast there some natives over there but that's about it. Baltimore's Lexington Market ****s on Eastern Market. Pratt Street stay live, Baltimore Street aka the block is always live, our nightclubs are the ****. People from Columbia, Owings Mills, Towson, and Annapolis come to Baltimore clubs all the time. Club Dubai, Club Choices, Night Shift, Red Maple, Club Hustler, Grand Central Club, BWX Lounge, Lux Lounge, The Paradox, I mean come on we got endless clubs. Pratt Street downtown stay vibrant on any given day, Charles Street, Light Street, Lombard Street, Park Avenue, St. Paul Street, Eutaw Street, and don't forget the vibrancy of our AA neighborhoods. Our AA neighborhoods got there own culture and have block party's live every weekend. Pennsylvania Ave, North Ave, Park Heights, Sandtown, they **** on Adams Morgan or Bum ass Barry farms or Anacostia. You call us BAMMAS but wholetime your south of us lets be real. D.C. copy Philly and New York and claim yall started everything but wholetime all you got is GOGO which has phased out. Club music be in every major city. Baltimore Club, Philly Club, Jersey Club, Chicago House like come on if you gonna hate on our music scene then hate on everybody else too our city be poppin. Only reason why your city got more vibrancy is cause of the lame ass muesum's and monuments and government offices for tourist that never seen the nations capitol. Our population has been higher than yours for decades until recently. SO please take a seat you don't know Baltimore. WE on our own ****. We the largest independent city in the U.S. and the largest in Maryland. D.C. so small that they gotta claim Arlington and Alexandria and pg. That's why yall came up with that stupid DMV ****. We real live a party city my dude. Just face it. We even got more concert venues then D.C. Constitution Hall is terrible, Verizon center is nice ill give you that but 9:30 club is lame. Its tiny you cant even move. Downtown Baltimore got Baltimore Soundstage, Pier 6 pavilion, 1st Mariner Arena, Harborplace, Rams Head Live, Power Plant Live. We even got raves in downtown. So take a seat my dude stop trying to flex for D.C. we get it your a political powerhouse with yuppies, and young professionals
Way to add to the conversation and disprove stereotypes bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyq61qQF9ik
 
Old 01-19-2014, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
673 posts, read 820,412 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
Way to add to the conversation and disprove stereotypes bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyq61qQF9ik
LMAO bruh comeon now
 
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
673 posts, read 820,412 times
Reputation: 274
Both Downtowns are forever sprawling. There both expanding beyond there original boundaries. IN terms of having that "MANHATTEN FEEL" all i have to say is try walking the streets of downtown baltimore on any given day. SO many different kinds of people, and buildings that resemble parts of manhattan.
 
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 AM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,135,220 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
The forum was about who has the best Downtown. Having a nice downtown does include the ARCHITECTURE. If you don't believe a city's SKYLINE has nothing to do with its downtown then I don't know why your on here. Sure DC is better politically or more diverse and more YUPPIFIED. Good for DC. DC public schools are also one of the lowest performing in the nation. DC Trinidad neighborhood was closed off to residents who didn't live there a couple of years ago because the murder rate was so high. Anacostia is one of the most dilapidated areas I've seen, and DC homeless population is off the charts. DC HIV rate is the highest in the nation and your murder rate increased last year also. So no DC does certainly have bad areas and has problems, and don't forget your crack problem either. I'm not going to sit here and bash DC because DC is an awesome city. The metro is by far the best subway system I've ever seen and the concerts at the Verizon center stay live. I go to clubs on 14th street all the time. However DC does lack on having character. It just looks all the same. All the flat boring buildings with glass windows. All the 9-10 floor condos and apartments that sprawl across the city. All the matching rowhomes that have the same design on every street. I'm just saying it can use some character. Baltimore's performing arts are some of the best in the nation also how could you not mention The Meyerhoff, the hippodrome, centerstage, or the lyric? Baltimore's housing prices are sky rocketing. Thousands of rowhomes across the city are being rehabbed and renovated into luxury apartments/ rowhomes some starting in the $700. Both cities are slowly gentrifying. But I think we can agree that Baltimore has more character in its neighborhoods than DC.
No, the skyscrapers do not make the downtown. The skyscrapers make the skyline, the street life is what makes the downtown, and DC's street-life is much better than Baltimore's. I have family who lives in Baltimore and go there often, but DC is just better. You say that DC's public schools are the worst in the nation, however they are tied with Baltimore, but DC's are actually improving. "closed off years ago," exactly. It was YEARS AGO. Anacostia is about to see the wave of gentrification this year. DC's homeless rate has been on the decline over the past few years. DC's HIV rate is getting better, and Richmond actually has the highest rate in the country. The only reason DC's murder rate went up was because of the Navy Yard shooting. You talk about the "flat boring character" of Washington buildings, but at least it's unique and different. Baltimore on the other hand could be Anywhere, USA. Baltimore does have great performing arts, but I believe that DC is ahead of Baltimore on that front just because we have the Kennedy Center which hosts more events and has more visitors than any other playhouse in the US. The average home price in the Inner Harbor has actually fallen 5% this past year. Yes I do agree that Baltimore has more character. But that is only because DC is gentrifying and the current culture is being replaced by a new culture. DC's old culture was very similar to Baltimore's, but DC's new culture is much more in line with NYC because it is becoming international and diverse.
 
Old 01-19-2014, 09:38 AM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,135,220 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
Both Downtowns are forever sprawling. There both expanding beyond there original boundaries. IN terms of having that "MANHATTEN FEEL" all i have to say is try walking the streets of downtown baltimore on any given day. SO many different kinds of people, and buildings that resemble parts of manhattan.
I think New Yorkers would laugh at your comparison between NYC and Baltimore
 
Old 01-19-2014, 11:34 AM
 
479 posts, read 694,092 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
Imo the order is

transportation: Dc
shopping: Baltimore
muesums: Dc
visual arts: Baltimore
architecture: Baltimore
diversity: Dc
crime: Baltimore
music: Depends
safe: Dc
Your completely wrong with these two.....Did you really put "Baltimore" for Architecture/Shopping Please take a second and think about that again
 
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
 
479 posts, read 694,092 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
No, the skyscrapers do not make the downtown. The skyscrapers make the skyline, the street life is what makes the downtown, and DC's street-life is much better than Baltimore's. I have family who lives in Baltimore and go there often, but DC is just better. You say that DC's public schools are the worst in the nation, however they are tied with Baltimore, but DC's are actually improving. "closed off years ago," exactly. It was YEARS AGO. Anacostia is about to see the wave of gentrification this year. DC's homeless rate has been on the decline over the past few years. DC's HIV rate is getting better, and Richmond actually has the highest rate in the country. The only reason DC's murder rate went up was because of the Navy Yard shooting. You talk about the "flat boring character" of Washington buildings, but at least it's unique and different. Baltimore on the other hand could be Anywhere, USA. Baltimore does have great performing arts, but I believe that DC is ahead of Baltimore on that front just because we have the Kennedy Center which hosts more events and has more visitors than any other playhouse in the US. The average home price in the Inner Harbor has actually fallen 5% this past year. Yes I do agree that Baltimore has more character. But that is only because DC is gentrifying and the current culture is being replaced by a new culture. DC's old culture was very similar to Baltimore's, but DC's new culture is much more in line with NYC because it is becoming international and diverse.
Exactly!!!!!!!
 
Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
673 posts, read 820,412 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
No, the skyscrapers do not make the downtown. The skyscrapers make the skyline, the street life is what makes the downtown, and DC's street-life is much better than Baltimore's. I have family who lives in Baltimore and go there often, but DC is just better. You say that DC's public schools are the worst in the nation, however they are tied with Baltimore, but DC's are actually improving. "closed off years ago," exactly. It was YEARS AGO. Anacostia is about to see the wave of gentrification this year. DC's homeless rate has been on the decline over the past few years. DC's HIV rate is getting better, and Richmond actually has the highest rate in the country. The only reason DC's murder rate went up was because of the Navy Yard shooting. You talk about the "flat boring character" of Washington buildings, but at least it's unique and different. Baltimore on the other hand could be Anywhere, USA. Baltimore does have great performing arts, but I believe that DC is ahead of Baltimore on that front just because we have the Kennedy Center which hosts more events and has more visitors than any other playhouse in the US. The average home price in the Inner Harbor has actually fallen 5% this past year. Yes I do agree that Baltimore has more character. But that is only because DC is gentrifying and the current culture is being replaced by a new culture. DC's old culture was very similar to Baltimore's, but DC's new culture is much more in line with NYC because it is becoming international and diverse.
DC IS NOT MANHATTEN. IF you say a skyline doesn't make a city's downtown then your highly irrelevant. I think your just mad to the fact that Baltimore has a competitive skyline something your city will never have. You can see Baltimore's skyline from as far as Columbia. I highly doubt DC homeless rate is declining. AS of 2013 the national rate for homeless decreased but DC's homeless population increased significantly. D.C. Homeless Population Rises, Despite National Decline - Housing Complex . DC has tons of neglected areas in southeast and northeast. Trinidad, Barry Farms, Washington Highlands, and almost all the neighborhoods bordering PG County. Your murder rate increased this year despite its decline for the last 3 or 4 years, and don't blame the navy yard shootings because of this. Plenty of people have been killed in DC this year because of gangs and the crack trade that your city is severely affected by. I don't know where you get your sources from but as of 2013 the inner harbor area has seen a significant increase in home prices as well as the rest of the city as it continues to gentrify Inner Harbor Real Estate & Inner Harbor Baltimore Homes For Sale - Zillow . Anacostia has yet to see redevelopment. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,89.54,,0,0.37 just one of the many neglected area DC has that you try to act like it doesn't have. AND DC architecture is not more unique than Baltimore's. DC architecture is typical of a cosmopolitan city trying to resemble something of Seattle or even Northern Virginia Cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top