U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM

5,412 posts, read 1,244,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksonknight View Post
I've not used the metro for commuting as I drive, but it always seems like the Red line suffers the worst delays for some reason. I've almost always been frustrated when trying to get somewhere outside of downtown via the Red line.
They've been having fires and whatever, but it seems the orange line has more offloadings of trains because of door problems. When that happens, the next 3-4 trains will be completely packed, and then it starts being the time where trains are running only every 10 minutes. So you wait 10 minutes for another train you cannot board..

Seems Redline is worse for safety reasons, but Orangeline is more unrealiable for other reasons. I live by courthouse, but if I make the bus, i'll take it to Rosslyn so I can take the blue line in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 8,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksonknight View Post
I've not used the metro for commuting as I drive, but it always seems like the Red line suffers the worst delays for some reason. I've almost always been frustrated when trying to get somewhere outside of downtown via the Red line.
Betamanlet, I hear you on the bus timing projections.

Interesting; so right now its living at places on the Red Line (Shady Grove, Rockville, etc.) and a maximum commute of 22 minutes to Tenleytown/AU (and then a 15 minute walk/bus) versus living by Pentagon City and a 45-50 minute commute on the Blue Line and bus.

So they're both fairly similar commutes then? Or am I missing another wrinkle?

Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM

5,412 posts, read 1,244,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFKC View Post
Betamanlet, I hear you on the bus timing projections.

Interesting; so right now its living at places on the Red Line (Shady Grove, Rockville, etc.) and a maximum commute of 22 minutes to Tenleytown/AU (and then a 15 minute walk/bus) versus living by Pentagon City and a 45-50 minute commute on the Blue Line and bus.

So they're both fairly similar commutes then? Or am I missing another wrinkle?
I think then you'd have to take other factors into account. I don't think Pentagon city has any free parking for anything. I recall even having to pay for parking to go grocery shopping there, while if you were in Rockville, parking is free and ample... (not for metro, anywhere though). Though maybe in either place you could be in walking distance of the metro...

I grew up in Rockville, but I currently live in Nova. I'd personally rather hve the Rockville to Tenleytown commute commute of your options.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM

62 posts, read 132,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I think then you'd have to take other factors into account. I don't think Pentagon city has any free parking for anything. I recall even having to pay for parking to go grocery shopping there, while if you were in Rockville, parking is free and ample... (not for metro, anywhere though). Though maybe in either place you could be in walking distance of the metro...

I grew up in Rockville, but I currently live in Nova. I'd personally rather hve the Rockville to Tenleytown commute commute of your options.
Depends on the apartment complex and whether or not you have zoned parking near the building. Also, while crowded, Pentagon Row's above ground parking is free and many of the shops and restaurants validate the underground parking. The apartments in the immediate vicinity of PR all use that garage for their residential parking, although I doubt it's free of a monthly fee.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,913,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I think then you'd have to take other factors into account. I don't think Pentagon city has any free parking for anything. I recall even having to pay for parking to go grocery shopping there, while if you were in Rockville, parking is free and ample... (not for metro, anywhere though). Though maybe in either place you could be in walking distance of the metro..
Pentagon City's above ground lot has free parking for the first hour, so you can go to Harris Teeter and park for free. It is usually very crowded though.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM

1,503 posts, read 281,379 times
I think it's a flawed idea to live in Virginia and work in DC. Where's the quality of life? For $2400/month you'll be able to find a place to live in the District that meets your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC