U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 PM
 
9 posts, read 13,200 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

My significant other and I are moving to DC in the coming months, and I'll be working by Tenleytown/AU Metro. We don't know much about the DC area, but loved the environment in Shirlington Village (in Arlington). However the WMATA says it will be a 1.5 hour commute each way.

Does anyone have any suggestions for comparable neighborhoods within a 30-45 minute commute? Our price range is up to $2400 for a 1 bed + den or a 2 bed.

I'm relatively new to the forum, but I tried to look for similar questions.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
5,412 posts, read 3,299,485 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFKC View Post
Hey Everyone,

My significant other and I are moving to DC in the coming months, and I'll be working by Tenleytown/AU Metro. We don't know much about the DC area, but loved the environment in Shirlington Village (in Arlington). However the WMATA says it will be a 1.5 hour commute each way.

Does anyone have any suggestions for comparable neighborhoods within a 30-45 minute commute? Our price range is up to $2400 for a 1 bed + den or a 2 bed.

I'm relatively new to the forum, but I tried to look for similar questions.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!
There are lots of areas like that in Maryland, especially in Rockville. One is even acrross the street from Shady Grove Metro, called King Farm. I think that commute isn't even as long as the one you are describing. Metro from Shady Grove to Tenleytown isn't that bad as it's only the second stop in DC. I'm not su re it has a movie theater like Shirlington does, but it's really new and is one of those weird looking new style mixed stores with homes type things. You could basically walk to whatever you need, despite being out in the boonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
 
9 posts, read 13,200 times
Reputation: 10
Very helpful, thank you!!!

Please let me know (you or anyone else) if there are any other similar areas that might be closer or worth a look.

Again, many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 PM
 
1,278 posts, read 2,247,985 times
Reputation: 533
Yeah, I don't think it should take you that long to get to AU/Tenleytown. Only thing is if you are taking the Metro Subway you would have to go to Pentagon/Pentagon City or Crystal City since there is none within walking distance of Shirlington. But once you get there it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get to work, though you would have to change trains.

Have you looked into Pentagon Row? It's not as nice or quaint as Shirlington but offers some of what it has right near the Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
5,412 posts, read 3,299,485 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Yeah, I don't think it should take you that long to get to AU/Tenleytown. Only thing is if you are taking the Metro Subway you would have to go to Pentagon/Pentagon City or Crystal City since there is none within walking distance of Shirlington. But once you get there it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get to work, though you would have to change trains.

Have you looked into Pentagon Row? It's not as nice or quaint as Shirlington but offers some of what it has right near the Metro.
Taking two lines on the metro on your commute presents the high risk of massive delays. One line h as delays every morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
 
9 posts, read 13,200 times
Reputation: 10
JMUSMC, I looked a little in Pentagon Row and liked a few places. But it looked like I would be paying more for less, and since all the apartment buildings I saw were 15 minute walks to the Metro the commute time would be similar to living at Shirlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
65 posts, read 178,752 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFKC View Post
JMUSMC, I looked a little in Pentagon Row and liked a few places. But it looked like I would be paying more for less, and since all the apartment buildings I saw were 15 minute walks to the Metro the commute time would be similar to living at Shirlington.
What buildings were you looking at? Pretty much everything in Pentagon Row is within 5-10 minutes walking of the metro. If you're looking closer to Arlington Ridge, then you're getting to 15 minute territory. You certainly wouldn't need a bus/shuttle to get to the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 AM
 
9 posts, read 13,200 times
Reputation: 10
I can't remember the names, but they were on [South?] Eads Street, I think.

The WMATA says it would take roughly an hour to commute, and that I would take the Blue Line and then the N4 bus from Farragut West. Are the buses high risk as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
5,412 posts, read 3,299,485 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFKC View Post
I can't remember the names, but they were on [South?] Eads Street, I think.

The WMATA says it would take roughly an hour to commute, and that I would take the Blue Line and then the N4 bus from Farragut West. Are the buses high risk as well?
Traffic is bad, but I'm sure they figure that into estimated bus transit times, whereas for metro, they don't figure in the frequent breakdowns and door troubles or sick passengers that cause delays on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
65 posts, read 178,752 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Traffic is bad, but I'm sure they figure that into estimated bus transit times, whereas for metro, they don't figure in the frequent breakdowns and door troubles or sick passengers that cause delays on a daily basis.
I've not used the metro for commuting as I drive, but it always seems like the Red line suffers the worst delays for some reason. I've almost always been frustrated when trying to get somewhere outside of downtown via the Red line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top