U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 AM
 
1,503 posts, read 299,440 times
Reputation: 321

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Clearly you haven't ridden the "It's a Small World" ride. Cultures from around the world are represented! It's like being in a real city right there in the heart of Orlando!
Watch out for the sink holes.

 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,548 posts, read 4,984,692 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
There's actually no such thing as the DC region, there is a Washington Metropolitan area. DC is the District of Columbia.
Well, the area is also known as the "Washington National Capital Region".
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM
 
1,503 posts, read 299,440 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, the area is also known as the "Washington National Capital Region".
That will work.
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
9,910 posts, read 8,275,186 times
Reputation: 6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Federal employees and Federal contractor make decent livings, but few are buying million dollar homes.
Well actually, GS payscales in some agencies are high enough nowadays to allow couples to own million dollar homes. They may have to work long hours, but that's going to be true with most jobs in general.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-25-2010 at 08:29 AM..
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,548 posts, read 4,984,692 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well actually, GS payscales in some agencies are high enough nowadays to allow couples to own million dollar homes.
Such a scenario would essentially require both indivuduals to be at the highest GSA grade (15-10), which in the DC area means an annual salary of $155,500. (http://www.opm.gov/oca/10tables/pdf/saltbl.pdf) Of the millions of government employees, precious few ever ascend to that level on the GSA payscale.

Keep in mind that individuals obtaining a GSA grade of 15-10 are those who are among the preeminent practitioners in their field (you can find the qualifications for obtaining a GS-15 grade here: United States Code: Title 5,5104. Basis for grading positions | LII / Legal Information Institute). These are individuals who could likely earn anywhere from 3-5x that salary working in the private sector. Now, they're certainly not living in poverty, but there are comparably few government employees making nearly that significant a salary.
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 AM
 
2,414 posts, read 3,292,690 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
There's actually no such thing as the DC region, there is a Washington Metropolitan area. DC is the District of Columbia.
You really didn't understand what he meant?
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Cesspool of human excreta aka DC
244 posts, read 397,474 times
Reputation: 93
No, DC is not worth the cost of living. NYC, yes. SF, yes. LA maybe. DC no way.
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM
 
1,503 posts, read 299,440 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
No, DC is not worth the cost of living. NYC, yes. SF, yes. LA maybe. DC no way.
A lot of people with the money are voting with their pocketbooks that it is worth the cost of living. The people I know who have moved here from the New York City area love the quality of life and affordable real estate.
 
Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 AM
 
136 posts, read 400,420 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
A lot of people with the money are voting with their pocketbooks that it is worth the cost of living. The people I know who have moved here from the New York City area love the quality of life and affordable real estate.
You know I had this big, long diatribe written but then I decided..... meh....it isn't going to change anyone's minds and it is probably more private info then I want to put out on the internet.

So for simplicity's sake.... count me and my husband as two of those people. We never in a million, trillion years could of had the same thing in NYC that we do have in DC. Yes, we had something different when we lived in NYC but that is it - it was just different not necessarily better.

It goes the same for many other cities, too. We could never have the same lifestyle in Tulsa, KC, Dallas, Houston, Orlando, SF, Seattle, and the list goes on because for the most part it just does not exist in those places.

We pay for a certain type of lifestyle here and I am perfectly happy with my choice.

They only thing that I do complain about a bit is that I wish it was easier/less expensive for people to become small business owners... but NYC was just as/probably more expensive in that regard.
 
Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM
 
1,503 posts, read 299,440 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkcitynative View Post
You know I had this big, long diatribe written but then I decided..... meh....it isn't going to change anyone's minds and it is probably more private info then I want to put out on the internet.

So for simplicity's sake.... count me and my husband as two of those people. We never in a million, trillion years could of had the same thing in NYC that we do have in DC. Yes, we had something different when we lived in NYC but that is it - it was just different not necessarily better.

It goes the same for many other cities, too. We could never have the same lifestyle in Tulsa, KC, Dallas, Houston, Orlando, SF, Seattle, and the list goes on because for the most part it just does not exist in those places.

We pay for a certain type of lifestyle here and I am perfectly happy with my choice.

They only thing that I do complain about a bit is that I wish it was easier/less expensive for people to become small business owners... but NYC was just as/probably more expensive in that regard.
I love New York City. It's a one of a kind place. I love living in the District more than I would love living in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top