U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 04:14 PM

311 posts, read 761,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
Basically if you don't see any women in pairs. Close your tab and find another bar/club. Avoid those paranoid antisocial environments.
Absolutely. But if you think about it, it's not just this city that has changed, the whole world has changed with the rise of social networking (Facebook). Facebook fosters a sense of "cliques," it creates that kind of intra-group, anti-stranger mentality that plays out in today's bars and clubs. Parties are planned and photos shared between Facebook friends who happen to already know each other socially. The culture has changed to accommodate this, and that's why meeting complete strangers in clubs is so unusual these days. Most partying or flirting goes on between friends who are already connected to each other in some fashion on Facebook. Ergo, group-oriented activities such as bottle service. I believe there's a link.

Last edited by Eugene80; 02-15-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,546,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
Absolutely. But if you think about it, it's not just this city that has changed, the whole world has changed with the rise of social networking (Facebook). Facebook fosters a sense of "cliques," it creates that kind of intra-group, anti-stranger mentality that plays out in today's bars and clubs. Parties are planned and photos shared between Facebook friends who happen to already know each other socially. The culture has changed to accommodate this, and that's why meeting complete strangers in clubs is so unusual these days. Most partying or flirting goes on between friends who are already connected to each other in some fashion on Facebook. Ergo, group-oriented activities such as bottle service. I believe there's a link.
I meet women at bars all the time.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:05 PM

2,136 posts, read 3,423,468 times
Anyone ever been to 18th Street Lounge? The fellas and I are stopping by Saturday night, is it a place to dance or just sit around and listen to music? I've never been.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 PM

449 posts, read 956,720 times
The DC bar/longue/club atmosphere is one of the best IMO.

Tons of nice longues and bars in the city.

Bars in Adams Morgan, 14&K, NE of NY Ave, Georgetown, and some spots within a 1/2 mile radius of the Verizon center.

That's about 5-6 bar/club districts in a city that's only 50 square miles. Sure beats almost every cities night life IMO.

Park longue is on point (until it gets packed shoulder to shoulder), Grand Central, Lima, Eye Bar (during the week), UltraBar, Lux, Love (only for certain, non ghetto events), etc

The night life in this city is great to me and I'm not even afan of the ghetto scene.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,589,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Anyone ever been to 18th Street Lounge? The fellas and I are stopping by Saturday night, is it a place to dance or just sit around and listen to music? I've never been.

The place has been open for many many years and has expanded a lot. Now there are 4 areas/ rooms, including an outdoor deck - nice when the weather is warm or if you need air/cigarette... hehe
Interior of ESL is very cozy, lots of sofas and room to "lounge" around..or dance.
I always have so much fun when I go there but I enjoy being around people and appreciate good dance music so this makes sense.

There is always an eclectic crowd of people and an eclectic mix of music, which I enjoy. The bouncers/bartenders/coat check people are always friendly. It's a nice place to go to just relax with some drinks, and you can usually find a place to sit for a while if you want to. If you're looking for a typical DC dance club, this is not the place for you. If you're looking for a non-pretentious, chill place to be with an eclectic mix of people & music, this is a great spot.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,028,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post

What poster "(-)" said. Very eclectic. Very chill. One of my favorite places in DC for clubbing. And DOES NOT get the overgrown frat-boy sausage fest spillage from nearby wienerschnitzel hang-outs like Rumor's or Lucky Bar. (though, I actually always liked Lucky Bar for some strange reason).

FYI: The dudes from Thievery Corporation own 18th Street Lounge.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 AM

It was very chill. Went last weekend. We had a good time. Very dark though, I couldn't see a damn thing in there.

BTW, add Easter weekend to a weekend where the club scene isn't hopping. Went out last night to District and it was dead. I was offered E by some random chick last night, and that kinda killed my mood for the evening.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:57 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,254,477 times
I wish DC had a more varied club scene. A lot of them seem like your typical trendy bar with your typical trendy music.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:08 PM

All clubs must play top 40. If not, you're not gonna build up a fanbase.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,254,477 times
Ok, true, I guess I meant bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.