Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 AM

244 posts, read 625,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkcitynative View Post
I lived in NYC for a long time and I am not having any issues finding nightlife here in DC. Granted, I never considered the Village the end all be all of night life..........

Georgetown = Murray Hill to me and I never, ever went out there in NYC. And I never go out in Georgetown......

But MacDougal and Bleeker Street kind of = Adams Morgan to me and I hardly ever go out there either. If I do I like Pharmacy Bar and the Black Squirrel.

Is it the same as NYC - no. Does it mean that there aren't places to go out that I frequent and enjoy - no.

I don't know where you have tried to go out and maybe our tastes are not the same (as clubs weren't my thing in NYC) but I am perfectly happy with my going out options.

How long have you lived here?
4 months. I don't know the area that well and keep going back to NYC whenever I can.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 AM

So Arkcitynative, is there any area similar to greenwich village in DC?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Someone is obviously not trying hard enough. Ghetto? Which clubs that you have visited that you think are ghetto?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 AM

65 posts, read 201,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
4 months. I don't know the area that well and keep going back to NYC whenever I can.
Stick around and explore a little more.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Someone is obviously not trying hard enough. Ghetto? Which clubs that you have visited that you think are ghetto?

By ghetto I mean their attire, behaviour. I went to fur nightclub and ultrabar and it was full of poorly dressed, groping men. No class whatsoever.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 AM

136 posts, read 578,649 times
Quote:
So Arkcitynative, is there any area similar to greenwich village in DC?

Can you tell me the kind of places that you went to? I might be able to steer you in the direction of similar establishments but in terms of a neighborhood = greenwich village........ no. I mean, again, to me there are different facets of that neighborhood. And it depends on what type of places you liked to go.

Here were my fave places in the West Village:

MacDougal Street Ale House- prerenovation. It was a basement bar that used to be cheap but then they renovated and the prices went up and it turned a little fratty.

Four Faced Liar- west 3rd or West 4th. - Kinda college bar... I would say.

Volvenuit- West 3rd or West 4th. - Expensive but good.

Art Bar - Jane and 8th Ave. - middle of the road- great happy hour.

That just kind of gives you an idea of the places I liked to go. These are the places I could think of off the top of my head.

I think you need to give it a little more time- 4 months isn't very long. It took me awhile to even cultivate my favorite places in NYC to go to.

It can be really hard to adjust to a different type of lifestyle and it did take me a bit to really enjoy living here. However, you sound a little younger than me so maybe it is just an age difference.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
By ghetto I mean their attire, behaviour. I went to fur nightclub and ultrabar and it was full of poorly dressed, groping men. No class whatsoever.
I don't think poorly dressed groping men constitute ghetto behavior. I mean did these guys have holes in theirs shirts or were the style they dressed not to your preference?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times
I don't know where the OP is going that he sees people dressing Ghetto at?

It can't be Love, Lux Lounge, or The Park at 14th. He must be going out in Adams Morgan somewhere.

Please make a note, if you are going to an establishment that allows people to bring in their pets, you can't expect too much.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Personally, after living in the South (New Orleans, and Mississippi), I think the entire East Coast Nightlife scene sucks. (Yes, DC is East Coast and so is VA). I am not big into the bar or club scene up here. I miss the Frenchmen section and Brass Bands of New Orleans, I can do without these overpriced drinks. Also, I can tolerate it in person but I absolutely detest Go-Go music on the radio.
bars with brass bands sound awesome. I'd rather that than a club playing crappy generic top 40.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Forget about bars and nightclubs. Those places suck. You've been to Blues Alley, right? Very classy and great jazz artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC