Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,034 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our late-twenties, no kids, no pets, and planning to attend grad school at GWU. Given the demands of the programs, we'll probably both be working part-time and may need to supplement our income with students loans, so price is a factor.

We'd be looking for a 1 bedroom (or 1 bedroom + den) with parking, but within walking distance of the Metro.

Alexandria was suggested by several people and the more I research it, the more I like it. We'd probably need to be near King St. station (Blue Line), rather than Eisenhower Ave. If there is someplace within walking distance of both stations, that would be ideal, but not sure how realistic that is.

Does anyone have any recommendations in this area or suggestions for our situation?

Thanks,
~S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,661,645 times
Did I see you on Yelp?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,616,441 times
DC is no place for young urban professionals....

Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Did I see you on Yelp?
Yes, I thought I'd run into a different group on here to get another set of suggestions, but I guess it's the same crowd.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 AM

244 posts, read 624,667 times
Why not live in Foggy Bottom and save yourself the commute? Thats where I live right now.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,661,645 times
Well to be honest I can't name any specific apartments. There are some great apartments down there though, that's for sure. Anything in Virginia on the Blue or Orange lines is gonna be safe.

Try the Washington Post apartment finder. Find apartments around Metro stations on washingtonpost.com

Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
Why not live in Foggy Bottom and save yourself the commute? Thats where I live right now.
That would be ideal, but the price doesn't seem to be right, after you consider parking, insurance, and taxes. If it were just me - no husband, no vehicle -, I'd get a shared place there in a heartbeat.

We're also looking for a community where we can set down roots and eventually raise a family. I like that Alexandria is on the water, has a lot of local history and culture, etc, but is close to all that DC can offer. There also seems to be a nice Reform synagogue there that we can get involved with.

ETA: Thanks, Hurricane! I tried that app last night, but it wasn't working with my Safari. I'll try it again now that I'm at the office.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM

605 posts, read 2,156,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkinDC View Post
My husband and I are in our late-twenties, no kids, no pets, and planning to attend grad school at GWU. Given the demands of the programs, we'll probably both be working part-time and may need to supplement our income with students loans, so price is a factor.

We'd be looking for a 1 bedroom (or 1 bedroom + den) with parking, but within walking distance of the Metro.

Alexandria was suggested by several people and the more I research it, the more I like it. We'd probably need to be near King St. station (Blue Line), rather than Eisenhower Ave. If there is someplace within walking distance of both stations, that would be ideal, but not sure how realistic that is.

Does anyone have any recommendations in this area or suggestions for our situation?

Thanks,
~S
Will your classes be held at the Foggy Bottom campus or will you have to go out to the Graduate Education Center at Arlington (GECA)? If you'll be at GECA or between the two locations, you may also want to consider looking at housing along the orange line. You might like Clarendon, Courthouse, or Virginia Square, for example.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,449,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkinDC View Post
That would be ideal, but the price doesn't seem to be right, after you consider parking, insurance, and taxes. If it were just me - no husband, no vehicle -, I'd get a shared place there in a heartbeat.

We're also looking for a community where we can set down roots and eventually raise a family. I like that Alexandria is on the water, has a lot of local history and culture, etc, but is close to all that DC can offer. There also seems to be a nice Reform synagogue there that we can get involved with.

ETA: Thanks, Hurricane! I tried that app last night, but it wasn't working with my Safari. I'll try it again now that I'm at the office.
Suburbs are probably the best place to really settle down and raise a family. Alexandria would be fantastic for that. I live in Shaw (an up and coming neighborhood) with my girlfriend, and love the neighborhood, but we just can't quite imagine raising kids downtown.

Also, great choice of colleges if you want to stay in this area. I run into more GW grads in this city than any other college. They have a great alumni network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: