U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM

12,442 posts, read 18,395,848 times
Default Ethiopian communities/neighborhoods...

I heard U STREET in DC...and SILVER SPRING MD?

Are there other areas?

Which one is larger...

What are the neighborhoods like? Interesting? Vibrant? Mixed with what other communities? Many Ethiopian-owned businesses, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 AM

660 posts, read 993,790 times
Columbia Pike in South Arlington also has a sizable Ethiopian community.

U Street is what most Washingtonians think of when asked where the Ethiopians are, but the restaurants there have mostly non-Ethiopian patrons. U Street is an incredibly vibrant neighborhood, and probably one of the most mixed (in terms of race, sexual orientation, taste in music, etc.) in the city. It's probably the first neighborhood I would take someone to if I wanted to show them what makes DC great.

That said, for Ethiopian-owned businesses patronized by Ethiopians and Eritreans, Silver Spring and South Arlington are your best bets.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 AM

605 posts, read 1,345,088 times
There is an area along U Street known as Little Ethiopia. The center seems to be the intersection of 9th and U Streets. However, there are a number of restaurants that radiate out for blocks from the Queen of Sheba at 9th and P Streets NW, to Lalibela at 14th and Rhode Island NW, to Meskerem and Fasika's in Adams Morgan. In terms of land area covered, this niche of NW DC seems to be one of the larger, if not the largest, Ethiopian area, even though it is far from being exclusively an Ethiopian neighborhood. However, most of the businesses are restaurants. There are a few Ethiopian owned stores sprinkled in the mix as well.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 AM

244 posts, read 386,718 times
Just curious as to why there are so many ethiopians in the area? I've never seen that in other cities I have lived/ visited. Also the first time I ate ethiopian food was when I moved to DC. Its pretty good though a tad bland for my taste.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 AM

605 posts, read 1,345,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
Just curious as to why there are so many ethiopians in the area? I've never seen that in other cities I have lived/ visited. Also the first time I ate ethiopian food was when I moved to DC. Its pretty good though a tad bland for my taste.
If you had bland food, you probably ordered the wrong stuff. Common seasonings in Ethiopian dishes are tumeric, onion, and jalapeno.

As for the cluster of immigrants, it's not unusual for various ethnic groups to end up in a particular area. Think about Somali town in Columbus; the Greeks who settled in NYC, Lowell, and Chicago; and Scandinavians in the Great Plains. It seems that a geographic region may be convenient or attractive to initial settlers. Subsequent immigrants then often want to be close to people who share their culture. From what I've read, DC does have the largest population of Ethiopian immigrants in the United States. However, LA, Dallas, and Atlanta also have a number of Ethiopian immigrants.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM

4,117 posts, read 1,872,787 times
There are a lot Traveling down from Silver Spring to DC on Georgia Ave.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,371,621 times
The reason why there are so many Ethiopians in the area is because the country had a violent, oppressive dictator in the 1980's and early 1990's, so many fled to the U.S. under protection of our asylum laws. Ethiopia then was in some sort of civil war which led to the creation of Eritrea, with both sides committing lots of atrocities creating more asylees.

Most settled in either NYC or DC because they were the main air gateways from Africa to the U.S. Those areas also had a lot of human rights groups or organizations that would help them get established. DC was particularly popular because there was much less competition for service sector jobs, as the area didn't have as many other poor ethnic immigrants to typically do these types of jobs. Plus, the Ethiopians were able to create communities closer together, while they were much more dispersed in NYC.

As new waves of immigrants come, they typically first integrate with the first community before branching out. The initial waves of Ethopians are mostly U.S. citizens now, so they are able to get visa for relatives.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 PM

28 posts, read 36,641 times
The area in Uptown DC north of Missouri Ave has a large Ethiopian population.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM

4,378 posts, read 4,930,338 times
^^^^Brightwood!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,260,163 times
Silver Spring and Wheaton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC