Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

What's the most vibrant/similar city around DC that isn't in DC?

Would it be Silver Spring, MD? Would it be Arlington, VA? Alexandria, VA?

Thinking of urban density, walkability, pedestrian-friendly, etc...all the attributes that an urban environment might have....and that would be closest to a DC city life...that isn't in DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:14 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Silver Spring, MD? Would it be Arlington, VA? Alexandria, VA?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
Alexandria. It predates DC, so you've got a historical core that is incredibly walkable. Silver Spring, Arlington and Bethesda are all dense, but they all feel like dense modern suburbs, and not like actual cities.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Alexandria. It predates DC, so you've got a historical core that is incredibly walkable. Silver Spring, Arlington and Bethesda are all dense, but they all feel like dense modern suburbs, and not like actual cities.
I agree. I know very little about Maryland. But when I went to Silver Spring it seemed a little older and less polished than say Ballston or Crystal City. Bethesda I was on a couple dates (got pretty darn drunk so memory is a little fuzzy LoL) but remember it being nice and fun. Nice restaurants.

I'd say that Arlington has some pretty old residential areas too just not as old as Old Town or most neighborhoods in the District. The house I live in was built in the 40s that's not very modern to me.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
I'd say Arlington and Bethesda. Yes they're suburbs but they're the only ones that can match DC's density. You won't find tall buildings in Alexandria, and even though I love Old Town, I have to admit it feels more like a tourist attraction than a city sometimes. Also the walkable areas of Arlington are considerably larger than the ones in Alexandria.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
old town, bethesda, reston

Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the most vibrant/similar city around DC that isn't in DC?

Would it be Silver Spring, MD? Would it be Arlington, VA? Alexandria, VA?

Thinking of urban density, walkability, pedestrian-friendly, etc...all the attributes that an urban environment might have....and that would be closest to a DC city life...that isn't in DC?
Why bother, if it's not DC?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
reston
eeeugghhhhh

Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM

499 posts, read 668,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I disagree, Silver Spring, Bethesda and Ross-Bal feel more like real Cities to me than Alexandria with the taller buildings. Old Towne is just about all Alexandria has to offer and even then its predominantly residential and retail, with the exception of that suburban looking Carlye/Patent agency complex. If they had mixed in more office I would say other wise.

And there's more to urbanity than the built physical environment. If we are talking Transportation options and international diversity then Silver Spring is unmathced even by D.C. itself (for the later).

Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
I'm interested to see what responses this thread gets... I want to move to a more urban area, but I really don't think I could afford to move to DC proper right now. Would somewhere like Arlington or Alexandria be slightly cheaper, while still providing that more urban feel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: