Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,853 times

Advertisements

The problem in DC isn't Ivy League lawyers, it's UDC drop outs that resent the material affluence of Ivy League Lawyers. Envy is a terrible thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM

128 posts, read 413,426 times
Move to NYC (especially if you're still "relatively young")!!! You won't regret it .

I grew up in NoVA (Reston), and moved to NYC at 17 years old...lived there for another 10 years...and, it's one of the best experiences of my life.

Just do it...you can always move, again. Since NYC; I have lived in New Orleans, Austin, and Chicago. Now I am moving back to DC/NoVA, but I'm expecting that I won't be there longer than 2-3 years (for some of the reasons why you would like to move ). Hey, you never know, I MAY end up liking it enough this time to stay.

Best of luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Oh, I should have also mentioned that I have been to SF multiple times to visit friends who live there, and many of them have moved to NYC, as well. Some stay in NYC, some return to SF, but they have all loved there time in NYC.

Would you mind also sharing where you "have taken refuge at a select few bars and clubs with vibes and people that remind me of home"?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,750 times
Oh I love New Orleans, been there 3 times! Had a lot of fun in Chicago and Austin as well. I'm sure you're right about moving to NY. I think I may miss the great balance of city and natural beauty that SF has, but the sheer magnitude of the city coupled with a million things to do will surely make up for it. It really does make SF look like a sleepy little town.

As for places I've enjoyed in DC, I just went to the Red Room/Black Cat. Galaxy Hut was great as well...the beer selection is much better, and being a northern Californian I'm hooked on a good hoppy beer. That being said, RFD, Brickskeller, and Churchkey get my vote just based on the selection. There was also a little basement pizzeria with a decent selection somewhere in Georgetown...wish I could remember the name. I liked that place a lot as well. If any of you guys have other suggestions based on these I'd appreciate it.

Speaking of beer, I noticed that tons of people in DC drink Budweiser...even at the places with an amazing selection. I was pretty surprised by that.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:05 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
In my opinion,

I think that it is most important that you find what interests YOU in a city FIRST, then comes the rest....I am not moving to a place "because" of the way people are....people are people, and you will find every kind of person everywhere you go, I am sure there are plenty of "stuffy" ppl in California too, I used to belong to a mom group from LA and YOU WOULD NOT believe the STUFFINESS, and these were stay at home moms for the most part!

I think DC is an AWESOME CITY, wonderful architecture and has so many amenities that it is hard to exhaust them all in a week. Same if not more goes for NY. Personally, coming from living in Florida for the last 9 years, I looooooved to see the people in DC dress nice and APPROPRIATE...I am sick and tired of seeing fat hanging out of every clothing item you can imagine as if there were no large sizes available and people had to squeeze themselves in their toddler clothes! LOVED to see the people of DC dress nice. I am European and am definitely not used to see fat hanging out of the scooters at malls and grocery stores everywhere I go! sorry but this image is soooo disturbing and popular here I just can't overlook it anymore.

I think people in DC work very hard and have very demanding jobs and frankly they have a right to act as they please as long as they are not insulting to you personally. I am not into the club scene, you'll definitely need years to exhaust that in NY.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:51 PM

244 posts, read 625,725 times
Heh I find this thread too funny. The Wall Street traders, analysts etc. will even stomp on babies to squeeze that extra bit of alpha. DC is full of staid and boring federal employees while NYC is full of Wall Streeters and the numerous wannabes BOMs (back office monkeys). Not to mention the numerous consultants. And more lawyers than DC. They are all full of type A Ivy leaguers as well.

And the New Jeysers and Connecticuters who swarm NYC are NOT the nicest of people.

There is no comparison between

Old 06-27-2010, 09:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm143 View Post
Move to NYC (especially if you're still "relatively young")!!! You won't regret it .

I grew up in NoVA (Reston), and moved to NYC at 17 years old...lived there for another 10 years...and, it's one of the best experiences of my life.

Just do it...you can always move, again. Since NYC; I have lived in New Orleans, Austin, and Chicago. Now I am moving back to DC/NoVA, but I'm expecting that I won't be there longer than 2-3 years (for some of the reasons why you would like to move ). Hey, you never know, I MAY end up liking it enough this time to stay.

Best of luck!
It's not really fair to lump your experience in an over-priced mess like Reston to DC as if the experience in one is comparable to the other.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's not really fair to lump your experience in an over-priced mess like Reston to DC as if the experience in one is comparable to the other.
I don't see how a comparison between DC and Reston indicates that someone will not like liking in New York?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 PM

Huh?...I didn't say Reston is like the District.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
I am going to "guess" that whatever they do for a living on Wall Street is not the easiest job...such as say, bartender on Waikiki beach? sure , that's not an excuse NOT to be nice, but I am "guessing" that these people are so stressed that if you stop to ask what their names are, most might have to "think" about it first!

At least in NY there are PEOPLE on the streets......you feel like living on Earth, here in FL is you see someone on the streets it's like "what a hell are they doing out on streets without sidewalks?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
Heh I find this thread too funny. The Wall Street traders, analysts etc. will even stomp on babies to squeeze that extra bit of alpha. DC is full of staid and boring federal employees while NYC is full of Wall Streeters and the numerous wannabes BOMs (back office monkeys). Not to mention the numerous consultants. And more lawyers than DC. They are all full of type A Ivy leaguers as well.

And the New Jeysers and Connecticuters who swarm NYC are NOT the nicest of people.

There is no comparison between
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC