Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,039 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted an offer with the DIA at Bolling AFB and will be moving to DC from Kansas with my wife sometime near the end of summer. We are currently looking for apartments and could use some help. I have noticed that the further out in Virginia you are the cheaper it is. Fairfax seems like a nice place but I am not sure about the travel to Bolling. I have looked at Alexandria but it seems expensive when compared to Fairfax and other places. I don't have a problem paying more if I know the cheaper places are too far away to travel to Bolling. If someone could offer some advice that would be great.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM

70 posts, read 182,291 times
Metro is a good way to get there. From the Anacostia station on the green line there's a shuttle that runs to Bolling. So living relatively close to the metro would make things easier. Are you looking at Maryland at all? (represent!). The Greenbelt and Laurel areas may have some cheaper housing and allow you to commute in on the green line. I wouldn't recommend living near any of the stations in Maryland on the eastern end of the green line, but driving to the Branch Avenue station from farther away (but nicer and safer) suburbs is another option.

If you really want to drive, Bolling is right off of I-295. But as you may already know, traffic in the DC area is a NIGHTMARE!, especially if you're commuting from far away (which a lot of people are unfortunately forced to do because they can't afford prices closer in to DC). My general rule is that if you can use metro to get from A to B (especially from suburbs into DC), DO IT. Good luck with your search!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,676,278 times
Alexandria would probably be one of the easier options in terms of commute to Bolling. In general, you can get some great suggestions if you let us know:
1) budget -- keep in mind that it's a lot pricier here than in Kansas
2) what sort of place you want (apartment, townhouse, 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms)
3) type of neighborhood you like (suburban, urban, mix of the two)
4) length of commute you can deal with (what's "too far" for you?)
5) what are your priorities regarding the above and anything else

In general, the further out and the further you get from a Metro station, the cheaper it'll be. However, there are exceptions, as there are several employment centers outside of the city (Tyson's, Reston, etc).

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,203,683 times
Indian Head on the MD side is good...Alexandria like the above poster mentioned is the best option..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC