U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM

999 posts, read 1,668,063 times

Advertisements

Nah, I am writing about people who were born on 2nd base or 3rd base but thought they hit a double or triple. It's hard for a privileged person to screw up in life when you have good genetics, socio-economic class and race working FOR you.

Now if a young black person who grew up in the crime-ridden projects of Anacostia, raised in a single parent household would later graduate from an elite university and later would become a successful attorney, entrepreneur or a physician then we can talk about REAL hard work and success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Sounds like a critique of hard-work and success.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 PM

381 posts, read 686,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Nah, I am writing about people who were born on 2nd base or 3rd base but thought they hit a double or triple. It's hard for a privileged person to screw up in life when you have good genetics, socio-economic class and race working FOR you.

Now if a young black person who grew up in the crime-ridden projects of Anacostia, raised in a single parent household would later graduate from an elite university and later would become a successful attorney, entrepreneur or a physician then we can talk about REAL hard work and success.
And that unfairness is unique here?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,694,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Well, the fact that you were unable to back up your opinions with any facts or evidence makes them less credible.
I made statements just like Moth. There was no point in bringing up articles pointing to why I think I'm right. He didn't do that either. That would detract from the main point of this particular thread. So taking his or her suggestion, I decided to end my contribution of the differing of opinions in this thread. I was just asking him where the original comment by someone else was that set him off.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,416,576 times
Quote:
The typical young DC professional has this kind of background:

Got almost all As through high school.

The student has foreign language training at a younger age.

Parents paid for summer classes at a boarding school and rigorous tutoring to keep their kid mentally sharp.

The kid joined every extracurricular activity because it looks good on a college application. Played a sport like soccer, lacrosse or field hockey to accentuate the scholar-athlete edge during the admissions period.

The kid was most likely a class officer and a member of the Nationals Honor Society.

Took a ton of advanced placement (AP) courses.

Parents pay money for SAT prep courses and the kid goes through tortuous studying for the SATs. Anything less than a 1500 score is a complete failure.

The child gets into an elite university or college. Scholarship money and Daddy's bank account makes sure that the kid graduates with $0 student loan debt.

Scores an internship on the Hill or with some DC think tank.

Studies abroad for a semester or two.

Graduates with a bachelor's degree and finds some "grunt" work job in DC for a year or two. Of course, Daddy and his connections sets him or her up with the right job.

Applies to the top 10 law schools. Goes to law school for 3 years. Graduates and passes the bar exam.

RETURNS to DC so he can be an associate at a corporate law firm with a starting salary of $125,000. Perhaps the person is more inclined to work on The Hill if he has public service dedication. Working in government relations for a trade association or as an attorney in a federal government agency is an option if one does not make the K Street Law Firm cut.

Parent have accomplished their mission by molding the kid into a member of the ruling class. He will gain more influence as the career moves along and the nation's business executives and politicians will listen to his words. The lawyers and lobbyists have more power over the US population than we realized in the end.

Power leads to arrogance. The sense of entitlement gets passed down to the next generation. Upper-class white people are entitled to make the rules of society. You see this in people who live in the swanky neighborhoods: Georgetown; Bethesda; McLean; Arlington; Capitol Hill; DuPont Circle; Potomac; Old Town Alexandria; Chevy Chase.
And there is noting initially wrong with doing most of the stuff listed. It's just that many people in DC have a tendency of doing the bolded that peeves a lot of other individuals off. This is what coldbliss is addressing.

The stuff in italics are just the way people who have the privilege and sources function. Anyone who has such power would use it to their advantage.

Quote:
This is also another problem that plagues Washington, people who aren't necessarily from upper-income backgrounds but still have a superior attitude of anyone they feel who is not on their level, regardless if the person being judged has accomplished more goals or has overcome more obstacles in his/her life.

Quote:
And it's interesting how in DC proper, a black person who has reached that level will probably still receive the same judgment as a lower-income hoodlum from nearly all non-blacks; and I'm not talking about the bourgie blacks, they have just as much social support and say as the yuppie whites, I'm talking about blacks who have a hard work ethic while keeping their modesty. Interesting enough, it's the "most republican" state of the DC area where blacks who have modesty and true success are the least despised.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM

999 posts, read 1,668,063 times
No. But the fact that many transplants come from privileged backgrounds and persons of color who were raised in the DC area have to become wage slaves to these outsiders is a little demeaning. Even more insulting, persons of color getting their jobs axed in the name of deficit reduction so local officials can get the Wards 2 and 3 vote.

I mean...have you been following the Fenty vs. Gray campaign? Study the political campaigns and supporters for each candidate and you will see the race and class divisions as clear as glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
And that unfairness is unique here?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,529,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think this thread would be great for a case study of the social dynamics of DC and the constant tension between the haves and have-nots, the rich and the everybody else.
I don't think this thread is about haves vs have-nots. It's universal that people with more wealth have an easier time climbing the social ladder. Has nothing to do with DC except some congregate here, just like NY or Chicago or LA or London or Hong Kong or Dubai or...

I know plenty of DC natives who could care less and are very happy with their lives. The people complaining here suggests they're not happy with themselves. If they were, they wouldn't be so fixated on spoiled brats missing out on some of life's greatest experiences of growth and learning. Why would they care if it weren't a reflection on themselves?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 PM

381 posts, read 686,117 times
Quote:
No. But the fact that many transplants come from privileged backgrounds and persons of color who were raised in the DC area have to become wage slaves to these outsiders is a little demeaning. Even more insulting, persons of color getting their jobs axed in the name of deficit reduction so local officials can get the Wards 2 and 3 vote.
I concur.

BUT, given that, this city is the hometown to these poor blacks. It is NOT the hometown to the elites that you despise.

But yet, those who bash DC often do so by defining DC by these elitists snobs whom as we know, are transplants.

In doing so, is that not insulting to blacks? Bashing their hometown by the antics of transplants?

I don't see anyone who bashes DC standing up for the blacks for whom this is home. I see people bashing their home by the behaviour of those for whom this isn't home.

That is every bit as insulting as anything else.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:16 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,247,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
I concur.

BUT, given that, this city is the hometown to these poor blacks. It is NOT the hometown to the elites that you despise.

But yet, those who bash DC often do so by defining DC by these elitists snobs whom as we know, are transplants.

In doing so, is that not insulting to blacks? Bashing their hometown by the antics of transplants?

I don't see anyone who bashes DC standing up for the blacks for whom this is home. I see people bashing their home by the behaviour of those for whom this isn't home.

That is every bit as insulting as anything else.
No, I bash this place mostly because of the long time locals.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,804,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Gee thanks. Just because my opinions are different than yours does not make them any less credible. What original incendiary comment were you referring to?
I have referenced it already. The one made by The_Fairfaxian. How many times must I point that out? Follow the thread backwards and read it for yourself. Should take all of 30 seconds to do so.

In sum: He said something, I responded, then you, instead of he, responded while he has thus far chosen no further rebuttals. I have no problem with you jumping in so long as you understand the source of my comments.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:30 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,804,919 times
Quote:

You are just discovering that life is not fair? I always wondered why my batting average was dwarfed my Mick Jagger's.

Successful people screw up all the time (ever hear of Bernie Madoff, Robert Maxwell?). Are you saying all white people have acheived success without hard work?

The young black person could do exactly what you describe IF he would utilize the hard work you also describe. You see, "IF" is the key word there. Or did Barack Obama, Robert Johnson, Eric Holder, Charles Rangel, and Doug Wilder become successful due to good looks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC