U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,243,764 times

Advertisements

There's nothing inherently wrong with that. It's just that the people who desire that the most also happen to have the rudest, holier-than-thou attitudes you'll ever see.

And I mean, judging from some of the power-hungry people I've met, I hope they never gain power. I wouldn't mind Google ruling the world, but I would mind George Bush or Zombie Hitler ruling it.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
320 posts, read 679,397 times
You want regular blue collar beer and BBQ types of folks...go hang out in Calvert or Charles County...I feel like I am back in rural Missouri when I am in either place; Actually I don't find most of my neighbors to be pretentious either. It is one of the nice things that I like about my neighborhood is that they are regular hard working folks...no one is flossing over here and therefore no pressure to do so either. My neighbors in my subdivision are nurses, retired military and government, teachers, a carpenter, electrician/plumber, etc. I think my most upscale neighbor is an IT business owner whose son plays lacrosse at some DC private school and they seem pretty low key also. It is probably neighborhood by neighborhood. These folks bought these homes when they were first built for $199k in the 90s. Now go into some other Ft. Wash neighborhoods with $500k+ homes and there may be a different mentality.

Last edited by TechlawyerinPG; 07-08-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,688,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I can't help but notice that you all are acting just as arrogant, dismissive, presumptive, and condescending as the people you're attacking.
Well, that is your opinion

Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 PM

15,673 posts, read 18,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
So explain the reason why places that are receiving plenty of transplants like Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh doesn't have nearly as much people with social and racial issues. Save the "welcome to America" stitch because that's a true cop-out for all of the issues this city has.
No offense, but those cities are just not in the same league as DC.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,688,498 times
Quote:

What drives many people over the wall about DC is that there seems to be no escape at the moment. This isn't the late 90s-early 00s where we had a 3.0 unemployment rate nationwide and anyone could just be located to a new place by their job in an instant, or move to a new place and have a job within two weeks. It would be easier if there were neighborhoods within DC where laid-back and down to earth blue-collar, middle-class, and upper-class people can shield themselves in, but that isn't the case where there's only either an extreme snooty upper (and wannabe upper) class or an extreme degenerate lower (and wannabe lower) class. !
I know exactly what your saying. The tension is so thick there, it always seems like everyone is ready to explode over the slightest thing.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,418,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
1) This is exactly the attitude that turns a lot of people who aren't in the "chic Washington" or "provincial DC" loops off about the area.

2) I wasn't talking about "reputation and trendiness", but was more referring to current and projected general population growth.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,211,785 times
This is why I love the SW Watefront area. We have a mixture of everything and I have met some really cool people in the area.

Some of you guys tickle me, you move into 3k/month apartments in Georgetowne and wonder why you are surrounded by yuppies

Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM

5,412 posts, read 3,301,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Houston is one of the largest cities in the nation.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 PM

381 posts, read 686,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechlawyerinPG View Post
You want regular blue collar beer and BBQ types of folks...go hang out in Calvert or Charles County...I feel like I am back in rural Missouri when I am in either place; Actually I don't find most of my neighbors to be pretentious either. It is one of the nice things that I like about my neighborhood is that they are regular hard working folks...no one is flossing over here and therefore no pressure to do so either. My neighbors in my subdivision are nurses, retired military and government, teachers, a carpenter, electrician/plumber, etc. I think my most upscale neighbor is an IT business owner whose son plays lacrosse at some DC private school and they seem pretty low key also. It is probably neighborhood by neighborhood. These folks bought these homes when they were first built for $199k in the 90s. Now go into some other Ft. Wash neighborhoods with $500k+ homes and there may be a different mentality.
Yup....I have neighbors on one side who are school teacher and nurse...and on the other side, a barber who grows tomatoes for spaghetti sauce.

Seriously, some of the posters here who only experience power hungry elitists need to just get out more or **** off.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:31 PM

999 posts, read 1,669,666 times
Yeah, that's the problem. It's one-way traffic of human labor to DC. Good luck finding a well-paying, stimulating job in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Chicago etc, etc. The private sector economy is in the absolute pits in every major US metropolitan region.

Federal government spending is propping up the economy in this region. That's why you see so many moving trucks flowing into the DC area and not much outflow business.

People who "escape" from the prison of Washington, DC end up in the following situations:

1. Move into Mom & Dad's house with no employment prospects. The folks will love this idea.

2. They find a $8.50/hour job in some coffee shop or hardware store. Shack up with like three roommates in some crappy Austin, TX or San Francisco neighborhood. Good use of a college degree if I say so.

3. Take a pay cut and a demotion in job title in your same professional field. This does wonders for your self-confidence.

4. Leave DC with just the clothes on their back and live in a homeless shelter. This is the NUCLEAR option for those who REALLY want to free themselves from DC like today with absolutely ZERO job prospects and NO connections outside of the Beltway.

Sadly, I am closer to Number 4 than I care to admit.

I can't think of any other escape plan from DC. The 0.01 percent lucky ones will have a job transfer with moving expenses all paid. If you are in the military, you don't have a choice of your next destination but at least you are FREE from a maximum security prison called The District of Columbia and its surrounding suburbs.

I should start a thread called the "The DC Trap".

Quote:
What drives many people over the wall about DC is that there seems to be no escape at the moment. This isn't the late 90s-early 00s where we had a 3.0 unemployment rate nationwide and anyone could just be located to a new place by their job in an instant, or move to a new place and have a job within two weeks. It would be easier if there were neighborhoods within DC where laid-back and down to earth blue-collar, middle-class, and upper-class people can shield themselves in, but that isn't the case where there's only either an extreme snooty upper (and wannabe upper) class or an extreme degenerate lower (and wannabe lower) class. Honestly, even the "extremely-snooty" LA has places that are laid back without taking an hour of sitting into traffic like the Long Beach/South Bay, Anaheim, Burbank, and Pasadena. The DC area can't really say that they have "laid-back" places inside the beltway with the exception of maybe Silver Spring and parts of Alexandria, and that's being generous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC