U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,106,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

I see many people who are attracted to Washington are the kind of people who were the smart kids in school who purposefully esteemed themselves by kissing the teacher's butts and answering every question. Not necessarily because they were very interested in the subject or were genuinely geniuses (the genius-smart people seem to go to Silicon Valley and Seattle anyway), but just to show off and make the rest of the class look dumb. I see a lot of that kind of personality hover towards DC, seeing that if they went anywhere else, even to other cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, San Diego, Denver, or Houston, they would either be ignored and overlooked or get chewed out for their smug attitude.
Exactly. The technical term is "smarty pants"

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM

7,337 posts, read 10,192,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Um, I see alot of harsh criticism of black citizens by whites. Platitudes of brotherly love? You mean outright avoidance, right? But Marion Barry is ridiculous though.
Really? Where?

The now too-familiar array of problems such as disdain for education, out of wedlock births, and gun crime, amongst others, is routinely dismissed as "social problems" or some other kind of euphemism. Solutions do not focus on the obvious (personal responsibility), but rather diversity silliness and more social spending.

DC, in case you have not noticed, is solidly liberal-left, even more so than San Francisco- we actually have black residents here with whites living right next to them.

Insinuating that DC is some kind of South Boston circa 1974 is as silly as it is dishonest.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 AM

9,440 posts, read 7,147,739 times
Quote:
I see many people who are attracted to Washington are the kind of people who were the smart kids in school who purposefully esteemed themselves by kissing the teacher's butts and answering every question. Not necessarily because they were very interested in the subject or were genuinely geniuses (the genius-smart people seem to go to Silicon Valley and Seattle anyway), but just to show off and make the rest of the class look dumb. I see a lot of that kind of personality hover towards DC, seeing that if they went anywhere else, even to other cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, San Diego, Denver, or Houston, they would either be ignored and overlooked or get chewed out for their smug attitude.
DC is very much an elite city in terms of political power, metropolitan GDP per capita and household income per capita. Maybe these factors also contribute to the smug attitude of some.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 AM

4,104 posts, read 1,759,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
Live in the deep south and see if you think it is bad here.
I frequent the south often. I know what its like.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 AM

816 posts, read 835,938 times
The typical young DC professional has this kind of background:

Got almost all As through high school.

The student has foreign language training at a younger age.

Parents paid for summer classes at a boarding school and rigorous tutoring to keep their kid mentally sharp.

The kid joined every extracurricular activity because it looks good on a college application. Played a sport like soccer, lacrosse or field hockey to accentuate the scholar-athlete edge during the admissions period.

The kid was most likely a class officer and a member of the Nationals Honor Society.

Took a ton of advanced placement (AP) courses.

Parents pay money for SAT prep courses and the kid goes through tortuous studying for the SATs. Anything less than a 1500 score is a complete failure.

The child gets into an elite university or college. Scholarship money and Daddy's bank account makes sure that the kid graduates with $0 student loan debt.

Scores an internship on the Hill or with some DC think tank.

Studies abroad for a semester or two.

Graduates with a bachelor's degree and finds some "grunt" work job in DC for a year or two. Of course, Daddy and his connections sets him or her up with the right job.

Applies to the top 10 law schools. Goes to law school for 3 years. Graduates and passes the bar exam.

RETURNS to DC so he can be an associate at a corporate law firm with a starting salary of $125,000. Perhaps the person is more inclined to work on The Hill if he has public service dedication. Working in government relations for a trade association or as an attorney in a federal government agency is an option if one does not make the K Street Law Firm cut.

Parent have accomplished their mission by molding the kid into a member of the ruling class. He will gain more influence as the career moves along and the nation's business executives and politicians will listen to his words. The lawyers and lobbyists have more power over the US population than we realized in the end.

Power leads to arrogance. The sense of entitlement gets passed down to the next generation. Upper-class white people are entitled to make the rules of society. You see this in people who live in the swanky neighborhoods: Georgetown; Bethesda; McLean; Arlington; Capitol Hill; DuPont Circle; Potomac; Old Town Alexandria; Chevy Chase.

Quote:

Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Really? Where?

The now too-familiar array of problems such as disdain for education, out of wedlock births, and gun crime, amongst others, is routinely dismissed as "social problems" or some other kind of euphemism. Solutions do not focus on the obvious (personal responsibility), but rather diversity silliness and more social spending.

DC, in case you have not noticed, is solidly liberal-left, even more so than San Francisco- we actually have black residents here with whites living right next to them.

Insinuating that DC is some kind of South Boston circa 1974 is as silly as it is dishonest.
Actually I did notice that is solidly liberal-left. I also never insinuated that DC is some kind of South Boston. All I said is that I see and hear white people complain about the black people of the city all time. You can even see it on this forum. You also make it sound as disdain for education, out of wedlock births, and gun crime are exclusive to black people. Which, of course, they are not.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 AM

7,337 posts, read 10,192,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Actually I did notice that is solidly liberal-left. I also never insinuated that DC is some kind of South Boston. All I said is that I see and hear white people complain about the black people of the city all time. You can even see it on this forum. You also make it sound as disdain for education, out of wedlock births, and gun crime are exclusive to black people. Which, of course, they are not.
No, but they are mostly associated with them and that needs no defense. There are no areas of DC full of white people on welfare, packing heat, strung out on crack, and producing multiple babies from multiple partners. None.

A discussion of the black struggle in America is beyond the scope of this thread. If you find anything- ANYTHING- that is the white equivalent to the four points I produced in my original response to The Fairfaxian, then produce it now please. I doubt, nay, I know you cannot and with that, there is little left to discuss as we will inevitably go off topic and that will raise the ire of the City-Data powers that be. Its not whites who have problems with blacks in this town. We like Diversity, remember?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,111,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Power leads to arrogance. The sense of entitlement gets passed down to the next generation. Upper-class white people are entitled to make the rules of society. You see this in people who live in the swanky neighborhoods: Georgetown; Bethesda; McLean; Arlington; Capitol Hill; DuPont Circle; Potomac; Old Town Alexandria; Chevy Chase.
And of course they make sure the rules always benefit them/their kind and nobody else. All while spreading lies of change and how they're "not like the other lawyers/politicians/lobbyists/policy-makers"

Old 07-09-2010, 10:03 AM

5,412 posts, read 1,056,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
And of course they make sure the rules always benefit them/their kind and nobody else. All while spreading lies of change and how they're "not like the other lawyers/politicians/lobbyists/policy-makers"
I've always wanted to write a dissertation on politicians and personality disorders.

That people even can get into politics (meaning interested in it) and seriously "like" some candidate, when the candidate is some self serving sociopath that will say anything to get the power they feel entitled to..

That you have Bushies or Obamaniacs is scary. I'm shocked people are not aware that these politicians are personality disorder freaks, habitual liars.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No, but they are mostly associated with them and that needs no defense. There are no areas of DC full of white people on welfare, packing heat, strung out on crack, and producing multiple babies from multiple partners. None.

A discussion of the black struggle in America is beyond the scope of this thread. If you find anything- ANYTHING- that is the white equivalent to the four points I produced in my original response to The Fairfaxian, then produce it now please. I doubt, nay, I know you cannot and with that, there is little left to discuss as we will inevitably go off topic and that will raise the ire of the City-Data powers that be. Its not whites who have problems with blacks in this town. We like Diversity, remember?
Fine, WITHIN the city of DC, I see both sides having problems with each other. But, having said that, that is my experience while living here. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC