Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:01 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I heard people talking about keeping their kids inside and not allowing them to go to youth football practice because it was too hot outside.Then, as I was getting ready to walk home (Yes, I walk to work) this woman begged me to take the metro, saying that I might die. Being from a place where 105 degree days is a regular thing, we played football, road bikes, mowed yards and drunk water out of water hoses (no cold water). It is just sad to see the further pussification of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Everyone has a complaint about people here. First it's the snow, now it's the heat. What's next?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 AM

290 posts, read 634,370 times
(Insert lame "it's not the heat, it's the stupidity" comment here).

According to this morning's Washington Post, we may as well get used to it. washingtonpost.com

-----
"We are looking at above-normal temperatures through the summer," said Kevin Witt, a National Weather Service meteorologist. "I can't say we are expecting any more hundreds, but this is summer. If we have another area of high pressure move into the region . . . that might bring us more higher temperatures, if not record temperatures."
-----

While this is definitely on the high end of the heat spectrum, I grew up here in the DC area and most summers (though not all) have had at least short stretches of weather like this. Usually it's also been accompanied with much more oppressive humidity as well (this heat wave seems drier than usual) which produces the dense, hazy, smoggy, completely unbreathable midsummer air with the hellacious late afternoon/early evening thunderstorms we're famous for around here. I also remember I used to play outdoor basketball for hours in the middle of the day during this kind of weather as a teenager. Besides, the beach and pool are never better then when it's this hot.

One humorous example of what you're talking about happened to me the other weekend when I was watching the US/Ghana World Cup game from this trendy bar around U Street and the place was packed with metro hipsters complaining about the heat. I overheard one delicate guy tell his friend how "gross" it was that almost every person in there was sweating in this jam-packed, non air-conditioned (or at least barely working) bar.

That said, I do hope we get some rain soon. Not only are most lawns here turning to hay but I'm starting to see a lot of dying trees too.

Last edited by mikeyo321; 07-07-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM

These same boys will prob be walking around in Skinny leg jeans in 5 years... smh..

Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Yesterday, I heard people talking about keeping their kids inside and not allowing them to go to youth football practice because it was too hot outside.Then, as I was getting ready to walk home (Yes, I walk to work) this woman begged me to take the metro, saying that I might die. Being from a place where 105 degree days is a regular thing, we played football, road bikes, mowed yards and drunk water out of water hoses (no cold water). It is just sad to see the further pussification of America.
Oops thought you might be referring to the numerous eunuchs on the Hill.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
this weather really does blow though. i think you're crazy if you're physically exerting yourself in this kind of weather, but if it makes you feel tougher then who am I to stop you?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM

I bet these kids grow up and call "AAA" to fix flat tires.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
the level in this thread is off the charts, I think i'll have to get out soon since I can't handle so much

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
I road my bicycle to work this morning, it wasn't too bad... but I am NOT looking forward to the ride home ...

Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Geez dial it down dude... but seriously, you may have done all that stuff in 105 degrees but when and where? Surely the ozone was much thicker (protective) back then and with the auto pollution in this swamp, the air quality can be horrendous. I've played hoops and soccer in this stuff but I'll pay for it later. I call it "heat hangover," I'll feel poisoned and a bit slow the next day. Working out in this is not recommended by any doctor, even for extremely fit people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC