Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,692 times

Advertisements

The Fairfaxian is gonna have a kick out of this thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 PM

60 posts, read 136,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I dunno about the hispanic population, but yea D.C.'s black population has been going down for a min now. I mean yea its sad, and its happening all over the city, but NW got hit with it first. We already know what gentrification does and which race groups may benefit from it and which doe not benefit from it. Yea you can keep grindin harder and harder but mane whats the point, your payin X amount of money to keep living in a neighborhood thats changed so much you barely can even call it home anymore. Ya whole block done changed. After that, I'd be like eff it move to the suburbs or another city. In 10 years, I doubt If i'll even claim D.C. anymore because I'll probably won't even recognize it and pretty much all of these gentrified neighborhoods will have no meaning to them no natives no nothing, nothing but some new drugstores, banks, starbucks, kinkos, and etcc...

Some may see this as progress but to me it's the exact opposite of white flight, more like "black cleansing" so to speak. But I'm just speaking at the point of view of the average native D.C. black person. But theres a lot of truth in it.
Lol thank you...all of the history an sites that I grew up with is GONE an they couldn't even give us back the tivoli theatre??? Are you serious? For an expensive ass mini restaurant where a sandwhich costs $8 an sum other things, I don't even pay attention to it anymore

Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomoK View Post
Lol thank you...all of the history an sites that I grew up with is GONE an they couldn't even give us back the tivoli theatre??? Are you serious? For an expensive ass mini restaurant where a sandwhich costs $8 an sum other things, I don't even pay attention to it anymore
lol lol

Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitches77 View Post
Hold up one second. I absolutely understand having an accent when you talk in person, I got one myself to an extent growing up in the DC area, but going out of your way to type it out to extremes on here is some dumb s***. "neva do nuffin", "beefin wit eachother", "foreal all dey worryed about"? Really, you're that pressed to sound cool that you gotta type out? If you're going out of your way talking and typing that to such an extreme, no wonder nobody's hiring you or taking you seriously. Instead of blaming the big bad evil system, learn to talk in public like a grown man. You sound ridiculous.
Exactly. These are the same people who walk into places, with a t-shirt and jeans on, and speak like their back on the block to ask for a job application.
Anywhere in the world, they would expect you to talk and act like adults. It's not called "Keepin it real", it's called speaking proper english.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
lol lol
Lol on everything son they actually made a restaurant that sells regular sized sandwhiches for $8...

Old 07-10-2010, 10:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Stop complaining. There IS middle class in DC. I AM MIDDLE CLASS. I busted my ass trying to get my job. I worked several bs jobs trying to get enough money to get around and apply for my dream job of being a firefighter. I had nothing left when I finally got hired, but I did it because I had the mindset. In fact, you locals have it easier than me. They were pretty much giving you guys jobs. Sorry if that's not good enough, but if you aren't working hard then I don't care what you have to say. I paid my dues and accomplished my dream. Now I'm living in DC as a middle class person with a blue collar job. Life is great and I can't complain. I don't have my own apartment or anything, but oh well. No point on complaining about it. You have a lot to learn about life. I've seen your DC hoods and know what they are like. I've worked in them and helped people in them. It's pretty easy to tell who is actually trying and who is just being lazy.

jusmc had a good point. I usually don't agree with him, but he was right in this situation. The military is an option. You can make money, get your life straight, and do something good for this country all at once. If nothing else is going for you then why not?
Hell may have just frozen over. But yeah, join the military. They will take the damn near retarded these days (just not the gays). And just bc you join the military, doesn't mean you don't have anything else going for you.
Theres plenty of guys that had multiple degrees, businesses, families, and tons of other stuff going for them. It's all about your attitude.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomoK View Post
Lol on everything son they actually made a restaurant that sells regular sized sandwhiches for $8...
I know I ate there one time in 2006, or 2007 I forgot, but yea the food on point but they bussin' heads up in there. Needa just put a Mcdonalds up there, why doesn't Columbia Heights have a Mcdonalds that seems strange.

Matter of fact I think there was until that strip mall got tore down and that mall got built. Damn took away the shoe city and 99 cent store. Sheesh the s**t that goes down in this city is so transparent.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Exactly. These are the same people who walk into places, with a t-shirt and jeans on, and speak like their back on the block to ask for a job application.
Anywhere in the world, they would expect you to talk and act like adults. It's not called "Keepin it real", it's called speaking proper english.
Lol you watched too much don't be a menace...I have a job and going to Montgomery with a 1450 sat...I don't talk like that when I'm in a situation where I have to talk proper and I know how to write...an in every household in the hood we are taught to talk proper in certain situations...I just wanted to be more confortable that's all...but think what you want
about me I'm not gonna forget my native toungue where we grew talk a certain way..."You feel me?"

Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
What gets my goat is the fact that you really cannot live on your own, at least not comfortably, anywhere close to the city if you're a low earner. The only places I could find that I can afford on my wage are in Southeast, and not the safe parts either. Even joints way out in Fairfax or Germantown, not even close to the Metro are too expensive to live in without a roommate.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 PM

Son you don't have to explain yourself to people on here, most of them take stuff too literal. You can't judge a person based on how they type. But some on here go out of their way to make a point and do too much.

If I wanna type like dis, den imma do it ya digg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC