U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 PM

113 posts, read 167,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Generally, no. I'm talking about a segment of blacks. Those who fit into every category as "the yuppie" but are of a different race (and this is not including the bluppies who have "their own thing" going on).

I really despise the Marion Barry DC. But this new version of DC is no better when you talk about the personal quality of life and social quality of its inhabitants. Just a newer a fresher smell of manure IMO.
You mean they're azzholes.. I'd agree with that. It's not just DC though, the entire area is full of people holding their own hand down lovers lane.

PS what the hell are the bluppies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,251,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
It's not general development I feel many natives are weary of. It's the invasive, elitist, and prejudiced attitudes many of the "gentrifiers" bring with them. Northern VA and Montgomery County (particularly Silver Spring) have seen major development. It's how it's done that makes it different from DC's development. Silver Spring and NoVA incorporated the neighborhood's (positive) native residents & character into their developments. DC has just been more of an invasion, and to make things worse, an invasion from some of the most arrogant, self-righteousness, and covert racist people I've ever dealt with. Hell, even the pro-gentrifier guy on the youtube vid looks a like friggin tool!

And don't tell me race has nothing to do with it. If it was just plain "classism," the blacks who were from here but overcame the odds would be welcomed in DC by the non-black gentrifiers, which is anything but the case for most of the District. Arlington's yuppies may be on the preppy side, but at least they can respect and embrace the minorities who put in work, have an education, and are assimilated. DC's yuppies treat these same people no different than the "ghetto scum" that they claim used to define all of Old DC! This is my personal beef with the invaders of DC.
Arlington and SIlver Spring are on the border of DC. You act as if they are some far off suburb with no connection to the city. They can't be THAT different than their DC hipster counterparts....

And what I have a problem is the lack of value for education, disrespect for the law and law enforcement, and general out right hostility to anyone who is not a DC native by many of the locals in this city. And those local people in the video just reaffirmed by beliefs in what I stated above. We are not invaders. We are American citizens like everybody else. Is it a crime to live in another state now? Is there a fence that we crossed illegaly?

WE ARE NOT INVADERS. BLACK PEOPLE DO NOT OWN THIS CITY.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
1. DC doesn't have hipsters in any large quantity. You have a clear bigotry against this sect of society and, from 1,000 miles away, are projecting it on DC. They're not here. Try Brooklyn or Seattle or San Fran. DC's a professional city.

2. Why do you insist that people assimilate into the black community?!? Of course they're not going to assimilate into a culture that's not their own. Why would they? I think the racism in these posts is getting out of control.
Wow, me and Bluefly actually agree on something. There is a God. I'm just tired of the outright racism I see from many in the black community. And every time I point it out, I get called a racist. It's like I can't win!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,422,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Arlington and SIlver Spring are on the border of DC. You act as if they are some far off suburb with no connection to the city. They can't be THAT different than their DC hipster counterparts....

And what I have a problem is the lack of value for education, disrespect for the law and law enforcement, and general out right hostility to anyone who is not a DC native by many of the locals in this city. And those local people in the video just reaffirmed by beliefs in what I stated above. We are not invaders. We are American citizens like everybody else. Is it a crime to live in another state now? Is there a fence that we crossed illegaly?
You're not technically invaders by buying into apartments, but by the smug attitude towards everyone who has "characteristics" of DC natives! And as for the inconsiderate actions of natives who are hoodlums, do I defend such behavior? NO! You obviously haven't seen the part (and other past posts) where I said I despise Marion Barry's crime ridden DC.

Quote:
WE ARE NOT INVADERS. BLACK PEOPLE DO NOT OWN THIS CITY.
I never said anyone of one race owns a city. You're once again mixing me up with the Marion Barry DC supporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm144 View Post
You mean they're azzholes.. I'd agree with that. It's not just DC though, the entire area is full of people holding their own hand down lovers lane.

PS what the hell are the bluppies?
Bluppies are "black yuppies," but like regular yuppies, they aren't just young plain people who are building their careers and making a better life for themselves, but have a superiority complex, are very materialistic, and are tactless.

Quote:
Accepting the fact that DC only exists to house a government, who is entitled to live there and who is an invader in your opinion? Seems like anybody doing work associated with that government would possess some right to inhabit the city where they are paid to do work. Jefferson and Washington didn't have much concept of suburbs when they staked the borders of DC.
Anyone should be able to live where they can afford. The "invasion" I'm referring to is more of the attitude many transplants to DC give off, as if they're better than everyone else. And this attitude isn't just targeted to the native Washingtonians, but to everyone who isn't academically, financially, and socially "on their level." This "invasionist" attitude isn't hardly as bad in other recent places within the metropolitan area that have seen recent major development.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 08-08-2010 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 08:24 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,215,810 times
Thank you @ the Fairfaxian. This is one the reasons that I do not really care to live in many parts of NW. People look at me crazy when I say that. I was offered a 2-br apartment in Georgetown for $1800/month and I turned it down. I am a transplant and the majority of my friends are college-education african-american transplants but I also have friends who are locals. The locals I know have very, very incredible stories.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
The locals I know have very, very incredible stories.
we want details

Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,692,946 times
Quote:
. Why would they? I think the racism in these posts is getting out of control.
Racism?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Racism?
Because as we ALL know, only white people are racist. Black people have always welcomed transplants with open arms in this city...

Is this turning into another "poor me I'm a black man in a whites man world" thread??? Who cares? I'm not white but I'm not blaming that on the reasons of why I'm not rich by now or why I can't live in a certain neighborhood....

Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,215,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
we want details
Most of them grew up super rough but made it threw somehow. One was raised in a crackhouse, worked his way through college now is living very well. One got shot and left for dead twice. Many of them, might not have college degrees but they are still living positive lives, and taking care of their family. I know they didn't choose the situation they were born into but I have more respect for someone who pulled themselves up from the bottom than trust fund babies.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,055,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Most of them grew up super rough but made it threw somehow. One was raised in a crackhouse, worked his way through college now is living very well. One got shot and left for dead twice. Many of them, might not have college degrees but they are still living positive lives, and taking care of their family. I know they didn't choose the situation they were born into but I have more respect for someone who pulled themselves up from the bottom than trust fund babies.
wow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC