Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 AM

25 posts, read 87,542 times

Advertisements

Yeah, reason why so many transplants are in the area temporarily.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 PM

147 posts, read 218,490 times
All the posts make sense to me. I can see why it's transient. I got a good taste while I was there. It's understandable why folks move for a job and then in a few years they find that it's either a fit or not a fit at all.

It's about taking a risk and seeing where you land, imho.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 PM

27,424 posts, read 28,498,647 times
So, what are your impressions of DC, kelly? Anything like you expected based on what you learned beforehand? BTW, one of my closest friends moved here from Colorado.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-22-2010 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, what are your impressions of DC, kelly? Anything like you expected based on what you learned beforehand? BTW, one of my closest friends moved here from Colorado.
Where to start? Where to start? I LOVED it! I have yet to have one person be anything but lovely to me! I just got off the phone with a guy who owns a condo that sounds like a good fit and he was delightful! He even offered to help me meet new folks there, as he said that he understands how difficult it can be to move to a new town. He's a newlywed and is says that it's a tremendous area.

It's been like that since I arrived there. I rode the metro (easy as can be), had a wonderful dinner at Bibiana, loved my work mates, had sushi and thought the traffic left much to be desired, I loved everything else.

I am exhausted and eager to return. The blogs say such wretched things about the locals, but I must disagree. I had a lovely and warm welcome.

I am so excited! My BFF used to live there and has claimed for years that I am misplaced easterner and I should blame my mom. Could she be right? I loved it. It's so green and so fast-paced and so alive. I am sure that I will need breaks from time to time, but so far, I am excited and impressed.

I might find some new chums much easier than I anticipated!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM

27,424 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
Where to start? Where to start? I LOVED it! I have yet to have one person be anything but lovely to me! I just got off the phone with a guy who owns a condo that sounds like a good fit and he was delightful! He even offered to help me meet new folks there, as he said that he understands how difficult it can be to move to a new town. He's a newlywed and is says that it's a tremendous area.

It's been like that since I arrived there. I rode the metro (easy as can be), had a wonderful dinner at Bibiana, loved my work mates, had sushi and thought the traffic left much to be desired, I loved everything else.

I am exhausted and eager to return. The blogs say such wretched things about the locals, but I must disagree. I had a lovely and warm welcome.

I am so excited! My BFF used to live there and has claimed for years that I am misplaced easterner and I should blame my mom. Could she be right? I loved it. It's so green and so fast-paced and so alive. I am sure that I will need breaks from time to time, but so far, I am excited and impressed.

I might find some new chums much easier than I anticipated!
Great, I'm glad you enjoyed your time here and received a warm welcome. I agree you may be a misplaced east-coast type. :-) It's always interesting to hear a fresh perspective from a newcomer. And yours is positive and upbeat - pretty much the way I see this area as well. I hope you'll get to come around again sometime.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Great, I'm glad you enjoyed your time here and received a warm welcome. I agree you may be a misplaced east-coast type. :-) It's always interesting to hear a fresh perspective from a newcomer. And yours is positive and upbeat - pretty much the way I see this area as well. I hope you'll get to come around again sometime.
Thanks! If all goes like I hope, I expect to be there by the middle of August. I am just waiting on a formal offer. They gave me one verbally, but am still waiting on a written one.

I think your area is awesome and I can't wait to get back.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,872,491 times
That DC's economy is doing better than the rest of the country/world is something I say 'phew' about--not something I saw 'woo-hoo' about and rub my hands in glee at all the taxpayer dollars I can spend. Its not something we should brag about, it is something we should be humble and grateful for.

And no, NOT all of the unemployed people in the country should move to dc to get jobs. Doing so would just bring their economic problems here, and what makes our economy stronger (more jobs than people) would no longer be true. In fact it would become true of the places these people came from.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
That DC's economy is doing better than the rest of the country/world is something I say 'phew' about--not something I saw 'woo-hoo' about and rub my hands in glee at all the taxpayer dollars I can spend. Its not something we should brag about, it is something we should be humble and grateful for.

And no, NOT all of the unemployed people in the country should move to dc to get jobs. Doing so would just bring their economic problems here, and what makes our economy stronger (more jobs than people) would no longer be true. In fact it would become true of the places these people came from.
Those are valid points. But you know what I think (not like anyone really cares)? That your area demands a certain caliber of personnel. And that the reason that you have a stellar job/employment market is because the roles in that area have requirements and expectations that not every individual carries.

I doubt that those moving to this area have a misconception about what they are heading into. If they did not do their homework, I doubt that they would last very long. Just my humble thoughts.

It's a tremendous city, but she demands the best from her people. Either stand tall and shoulder your fair share or you will crumble. (God that's so deep! Bumper sticker time!) It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC