Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times

Advertisements

Back on topic folks, if you can't help the op maybe just skip this thread ? There is no obligation to post in every single one you know
Yac.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
"GS15-ish salary" won't mean much to most here--can you give some hard #s, like 60K a year.

As for those who bash the OP, OP is just being honest. Love is a transaction in DC, like choosing between mutual funds.

Last edited by stars99; 07-20-2010 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
"GS15-ish salary" won't mean much to most here--can you give some hard #s, like 60K a year.

As for those who bash the OP, OP is just being honest. Love is a transaction in DC, like choosing between mutual funds.
GS15"ish" = $130k-$150k"ish"

And, yes, love is something that must be bought here in DC.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
GS15"ish" = $130k-$150k"ish"

And, yes, love is something that must be bought here in DC.
Thanks. Then I agree with betamanlet--why would someone want to live with roommates on that salary? (unless that still isn't enough to afford your own place in the District?). Better just to move to a neighborhood with likeminded people than put up with a roommate.

What I'm not getting--if OP is able to score with people at work so much, why does he need a roommate as wingman to pick up women? And the part about paying for the wine doesn't make sense.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Thanks. Then I agree with betamanlet--why would someone want to live with roommates on that salary? (unless that still isn't enough to afford your own place in the District?). Better just to move to a neighborhood with likeminded people than put up with a roommate.

What I'm not getting--if OP is able to score with people at work so much, why does he need a roommate as wingman to pick up women? And the part about paying for the wine doesn't make sense.
I think the OP's not telling us the rest of the story. Something's amiss here.

JMO, but those who still want roomies on that salary either are too scared or too lazy to be on their own. Or who still want to live as if they're still in Delta House.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

JMO, but those who still want roomies on that salary either are too scared or too lazy to be on their own. Or who still want to live as if they're still in Delta House.
Unless, as may be possible, that salary is not enough to afford your own place in Dupont.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM

13 posts, read 24,968 times
Default clarification

Quote:

I should probably try to clarify. I actually have a house in another state which I still have pay mortgage for as I continue to live in the DC area. As far as investment into a home/condo in the area, I am not sure if the economic indicators support that being a smart decision (plus, I don't make quite that much - GS-15ish, which is about 140-160 after bonus). In Denver, that would be equivalent to about 90k for a similiar quality of life.

I like the idea of a roommate because it expands your social circle, and would be great way to meet people since I didn't know anyone at all before moving here. I think living alone when you don't know anyone is a pretty lonely place to be, and since having roommates is common practice here, I'd like to give that a whirl.

So back to my predicament:

- I make a decent salary and have an intense job where I work long hours which prevents me from joining organizations that meet during the week
- I think part of the problem of finding a suitable mate is that you have to meet them in the first place, or have a social circle that allows you to be introduced to new people (in my case, women)
- I am not some strange social reject with a personality or appearance disorder, I could date women from work if I wanted to, but that is just a bad idea and I was trying to illustrate that I did that in past with reckless abandon and it did not bode well in any possible way (apparently "office tail" is also an extremely insulting adjective)
- All the people I know are from work (a bad thing), and it would be great to meet people outside of work that could be good friends and serve as excellent vessels to be introduced to other women
- RE: wine, I don't like cheap people. Especially cheap people who don't buy the next round of drinks when they receive one. In my particular experiences, it is particularly annoying to pick up a $80 dollar bottle of wine (which split 3 ways works out to quick consumption) and to have the other people look dumbfounded when the bottle is empty and not take the initiative to "get the next". Also, if I have to have a conversation about who is picking up the shared bottle of ketchup, that is just a ridiculous conversation that shouldn't happen. So I prefer to not to hang with cheap people who do not reciprocate (I have nothing against frugal people, btw).
- Without saying it, I was trying to infer that I am somewhat sophisticated, and it seems that finding that level of sophistication on craigslist would be a tall order (although I'm sure not impossible). Whereas in NYC, its quite easy to find roommates with a sense of style and desire to spend a little discretionary income to enjoy life

So the suggestions I am looking for are:

- where are places should I go on weekends and for happy hour if I have roll-out alone given my archetype?
- what are some ideas on how to find this type of roommate?
- what are some social circles I could join that would be conducive to my schedule (i.e. cigar clubs, DC promotional events, etc)?
- how does a single man in the city here go about creating a group of friends outside the workplace, and in the interim, meet women with no existing posse?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinDC View Post
I should probably try to clarify. I actually have a house in another state which I still have pay mortgage for as I continue to live in the DC area. As far as investment into a home/condo in the area, I am not sure if the economic indicators support that being a smart decision (plus, I don't make quite that much - GS-15ish, which is about 140-160 after bonus). In Denver, that would be equivalent to about 90k for a similiar quality of life.

I like the idea of a roommate because it expands your social circle, and would be great way to meet people since I didn't know anyone at all before moving here. I think living alone when you don't know anyone is a pretty lonely place to be, and since having roommates is common practice here, I'd like to give that a whirl.

So back to my predicament:

- I make a decent salary and have an intense job where I work long hours which prevents me from joining organizations that meet during the week
- I think part of the problem of finding a suitable mate is that you have to meet them in the first place, or have a social circle that allows you to be introduced to new people (in my case, women)
- I am not some strange social reject with a personality or appearance disorder, I could date women from work if I wanted to, but that is just a bad idea and I was trying to illustrate that I did that in past with reckless abandon and it did not bode well in any possible way (apparently "office tail" is also an extremely insulting adjective)
- All the people I know are from work (a bad thing), and it would be great to meet people outside of work that could be good friends and serve as excellent vessels to be introduced to other women
- RE: wine, I don't like cheap people. Especially cheap people who don't buy the next round of drinks when they receive one. In my particular experiences, it is particularly annoying to pick up a $80 dollar bottle of wine (which split 3 ways is a quick consumption work) and to have the other people look dumbfounded when the bottle is empty and not take the initiative to "get the next". If I have to have a conversation about who is picking up the shared bottle of ketchup, that is just a ridiculous conversation that shouldn't happen.
- Without saying it, I was trying to infer that I am somewhat sophisticated, and it seems that finding that level of sophistication on craigslist would be a tall order (although I'm sure not impossible). Whereas in NYC, its quite easy to find roommates with a sense of style and desire to spend a little discretionary income to enjoy life

So the suggestions I am looking for are:

- where are places should I go on weekends and for happy hour if I have roll-out alone given my archetype?
- what are some ideas on how to find this type of roommate?
- what are some social circles I could join that would be conducive to my schedule (i.e. cigar clubs, DC promotional events, etc)?
- how does a single man in the city here go about creating a group of friends outside the workplace, and in the interim, meet women with no existing posse?

This could be a good business model, create a website for roommates earning over 100K, looking for similar roommates.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I'd say most people who make GS-15 salaries already own homes and have probably started their own families by now. Catch-22.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd say most people who make GS-15 salaries already own homes and have probably started their own families by now. Catch-22.
I agree. But I don't think OP needs the wingman--big money should be more than enough to attract women .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC