Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
who you calling McSketcherson?

the only exception in the entire city to the west of 16th and south of Mass Ave rule would be Logan, if you're north of Mass east of 16th, but still west of 11th and south of U, you're in an area that has been homicide free this year
The Box of Safety(TM)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
One barometer to use is the presence of chain retailers. The chains won't come to a neighborhood until the income is high enough and the risk of theft/violence is low enough to make it economically worthwhile. CVS is often the first such chain to come into a newly gentrified neighborhood. Then the grocery stores start rolling in. If and when a Starbucks shows up, you know that the area is generally accepted as safe. In terms of local businesses, the yuppies are firmly entrenched when boutique coffee houses, vegan food options, and wine bars begin to open.
It's a bit surprising just how few Starbuckses there are in NE DC even now.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Well most of NE is incredibly residential compared to NW and even SW and Capitol Hill SE.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
I pretty much agree with 14th and You. Though I'd say Georgia Avenue/7th Street has become the new 16th Street.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
if you're in NE, you also want to be lower than 13th, but also south of Florida Ave
That is, unless you live in Eckington, Brookland or Michigan Park. There are exceptions to every rule.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That is, unless you live in Eckington, Brookland or Michigan Park. There are exceptions to every rule.
difference too if you're looking at home price appreciation and not just current crime levels, prices are rising even in Trinidad, so if you move in next to the McSketchersons on Bladensburg Rd NE, you could be making a good investment

Old 07-29-2010, 04:46 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
dude doesn't even look thai

YouTube - Backpackers In Laos - Laos

Old 08-01-2010, 10:53 PM

188 posts, read 670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
In the 1980s and for part of the 90s, few middle class and affluent folks had any need to travel outside of a small part of northwest DC. Even parts of the downtown business core were very sketchy. The rule was to stick to tourist destinations on the Mall, the "Golden Triangle" business district, and tony parts of Northwest like Georgetown and Cathedral Heights.

In the late 1990s, urban revitalization started to hit neighborhoods east of the traditional dividing lines. A Whole Foods even opened up east of 16th St. (I believe it was the first WF within the District.) With the real estate boom earlier this decade, a lot of no-go areas became very popular. The trouble for a newcomer is that some newly safer areas have sprung up like islands or as peninsulas growing out of popular areas. As a nearly life-long resident of DC, it's a challenge for me to come up with a "rule" for safe areas of DC. I have met young, educated professionals who choose to live in areas of DC that would be "no-go" based on the analysis given in this thread.

Generally speaking, however, always stay west of the Anacostia River. There are some cute homes and developing neighborhoods east of the river, but you really want to know what you're doing before you move over there. In real estate listings Capitol Hill has come to mean a very, very large area of land. Pennsylvania Avenue used to be a dividing line that one would not travel south of. Also, few people would venture east of about 10th St. SE. Now, anything near Barracks Row is fine. It wouldn't be my first choice, but the Ballpark/Navy Yard area has also become popular. (It used to be strip clubs, nightclubs, and warehouse buildings just a few years ago.) On the north side of Capitol Hill, 30-somethings seem to be flocking to the area near H Street. Some blocks there are great, others sketchier. It's best to go walk the neighborhood yourself to see how it feels to you. Brookland, Ledroit Park, and Bloomingdale area other transitioning areas in the north central part of DC that some folks really like.

One barometer to use is the presence of chain retailers. The chains won't come to a neighborhood until the income is high enough and the risk of theft/violence is low enough to make it economically worthwhile. CVS is often the first such chain to come into a newly gentrified neighborhood. Then the grocery stores start rolling in. If and when a Starbucks shows up, you know that the area is generally accepted as safe. In terms of local businesses, the yuppies are firmly entrenched when boutique coffee houses, vegan food options, and wine bars begin to open.
H street needs a damn CVS. We already have the boutique coffee houses and wine bars! I'm sure there's a vegan restaurant in there somewhere... glad there's no starbucks tho.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM

331 posts, read 903,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
H street needs a damn CVS. We already have the boutique coffee houses and wine bars! I'm sure there's a vegan restaurant in there somewhere... glad there's no starbucks tho.
I thought there was a Rite Aid at 8th and H?
and a CVS at Bladensburg Road at Heichinger Mall?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 AM

188 posts, read 670,248 times
The Rite Aid is ok, but its pretty run down. Also, I just dig CVS. They have Arizona Tea Arnold Palmer's. Also, the one near Hechinger Mall isn't really near the center of the neighborhood, and actually getting to it involves walking over a number of hellishly large roads... not really my idea of a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC