U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanae1029 View Post
I am really torn! I keep getting mixed reviews. I have talked to some people in person who have lived in DC and they say its a great area to live. I have talked to a cop who says that because its only 3 blocks from the White House its very safe and has a good police presence. I've heard that because of the new Verizon center and other new touristy-attraction type places in that area that the city keeps this area very clean and safe. But I also have heard reviews similar to what Avtomat and KStreetQB are saying.
Yeah, it's a lot further than 3 blocks. I'm around that area all the time and I honestly wouldn't live in that complex. It's mostly lower income housing. That area is getting better every year (or so I heard) so you might want to wait a while if you can't deal with the growing pains. There's a ghetto Giant grocery store near there that they are remodeling, and a large condo project across the street that should be replacing some of the older houses. That's at least a year aways though. If I were you, I would stay west of the Convention Center, or near (by near I mean a block) the CityVista building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM

32 posts, read 53,142 times
http://crimemap.dc.gov

Type in the address, select a radius and time range, view the map, download the data to excel, do some research, talk to the neighbors, walk around at night, etc.

FTR I would personally NOT live anywhere in the vicinity of 7th & O Sts. But that's just me.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM

605 posts, read 1,959,313 times
Quote:
I am really torn! I keep getting mixed reviews. I have talked to some people in person who have lived in DC and they say its a great area to live. I have talked to a cop who says that because its only 3 blocks from the White House its very safe and has a good police presence. I've heard that because of the new Verizon center and other new touristy-attraction type places in that area that the city keeps this area very clean and safe. But I also have heard reviews similar to what Avtomat and KStreetQB are saying.
The mixed reviews must be regarding that part of Shaw in general. On the west side of the convention center, 9th street has been redeveloping over the past few years. There are also two very large construction projects that will soon break ground -- a hotel and a grocery store with mixed-used development. Yet, 7th street north of Mount Vernon Square has not seen the same investment and remains full of subsidized housing. There are also periodic issues with crews sparring on 7th St. It has, however, been a while since it was a true hotspot for violence, and very few taxpayers minding their own business are ever injured or killed. A lot of homeowners decide that this neighborhood is a better value than nearby pricey areas like Chinatown or Logan. Yet, for a newcomer to DC, it probably is not the experience you are looking for.

As for that apartment complex, I give it an unqualified thumbs down. A friend of mine used to live there and had tremendous problems, not the least of which was that a building manager or maintenance worker was letting himself in to her unit while she and her roommates were at work.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:29 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,794,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Yeah, it's a lot further than 3 blocks. I'm around that area all the time and I honestly wouldn't live in that complex. It's mostly lower income housing. That area is getting better every year (or so I heard) so you might want to wait a while if you can't deal with the growing pains. There's a ghetto Giant grocery store near there that they are remodeling, and a large condo project across the street that should be replacing some of the older houses. That's at least a year aways though. If I were you, I would stay west of the Convention Center, or near (by near I mean a block) the CityVista building.
That's the Giant where they require an ID to use a credit card, because of so many scams there.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,190 times
OK - I lived in Wash Apartments for 2 years from 2004-2006 so I can give you the real scoop. The building spans from M-N streets and from 5th-7th. I would say the 5th street one is relatively gentrified. Probably 40% of the people living there are new young urban transplants for the most part the rest are working class older people who have lived there for years. If the apartment available is 1200-1210 5th street as an address you should be fine in that building.

The 6th and 7th street buildings are pretty sketchy, I would avoid them. I have a theory that (although illegal) the wash apts. people tend to direct people to apartments based on race and socio economic status.... Here are my pros/cons:

Pros - great price, great amenties: New safeway 2 blocks away, 3-4 new great restaurants, generally a decent neighborhood, two blocks from the metro, 5 blocks from Chinatown and it includes parking. The people are really great, regardless of race everyone says high to you and makes an effort to know their neighbors. once I even dropped my wallet outside my door, someone returned it the next day by knocking and asking if it was mine.

Cons - The people were great, I can't complain, but some had families with teenagers. The teenagers tended to do teenager things (play music loud, hang out around the property with friends, etc..). That being said they were good kids, always respectful with pretty involved parents and within reason they kept it down. There are also groups of guys that do at times hang out and drink/get high in the courtyard outside, etc... They tend be be encouraged by the property to leave but it never really works. That being said they never hassle anyone and I know a couple of them personally and they good people. Crime is spotty, you are safe for the most part during the day, but at night its not a great place to be walking alone.

Overall if you young and dont mind some minor annoyances (people outside at night, posible loud music coming through the walls, etc..) give it a shot. I can't complain for the price it got me into a neighborhood that I really liked that I normally could not afford so it was worth the inconvenience.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 PM

28,167 posts, read 26,106,911 times
No. It would be suicide. You'd be safer in Tivoli Gardens, Jamaica.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
The mixed reviews must be regarding that part of Shaw in general. On the west side of the convention center, 9th street has been redeveloping over the past few years. There are also two very large construction projects that will soon break ground -- a hotel and a grocery store with mixed-used development. Yet, 7th street north of Mount Vernon Square has not seen the same investment and remains full of subsidized housing. There are also periodic issues with crews sparring on 7th St. It has, however, been a while since it was a true hotspot for violence, and very few taxpayers minding their own business are ever injured or killed. A lot of homeowners decide that this neighborhood is a better value than nearby pricey areas like Chinatown or Logan. Yet, for a newcomer to DC, it probably is not the experience you are looking for.

As for that apartment complex, I give it an unqualified thumbs down. A friend of mine used to live there and had tremendous problems, not the least of which was that a building manager or maintenance worker was letting himself in to her unit while she and her roommates were at work.
Thats everything I said.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 AM

60 posts, read 117,291 times
If your used to living in low income then its not that bad...when you get to kno the people that live there its not that bad foreal

Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,171,064 times
Quote:
I am really torn! I keep getting mixed reviews. I have talked to some people in person who have lived in DC and they say its a great area to live.
Yeah, its a really great AREA to live. But those specific apartments are a different matter entirely. There are shootings there all the time (most recently just two weeks ago).

Quote:
I have talked to a cop who says that because its only 3 blocks from the White House its very safe and has a good police presence.
So you're going to listen to a cop who obviously has no idea what he's talking about....and if you'd even bothered to look at a map, you'd know that yourself. So go, now, and look at a map. See for yourself: these apartments are NOT three blocks from the White House. They are TWO MILES from the white house.

Yeah there's a police presence there--because there is so much crime there that the police job is never done. They have a police station right next door to deal with all the crime.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,521 times
Default My iPhone was just stolen at M and 7th and the police caught the guys

I was visiting DC from California last week and didn't know anything about DC crime, neighborhoods, etc. I went to a Crossfit gym on New York Avenue after my downtown appointment then headed toward the Mt Vernon metro stop to go home. On the way I had to make 2 phone calls. To make a long story short, my iPhone was stolen before I got on the subway. So yes, it's my experience that there is crime in that area.

By the same token - here's the really amazing part - the POLICE CAUGHT THE GUYS within less than an hour of it happening. I had to identify them. I had to meet with the ADA before returning to California. It was a really well-coordinated police effort. They took the matter very seriously. They were very professional and needless to say, very competent. So - it's also true that in my experience, the police presence is extraordinary in that area.

I never did get my iPhone back - have you ever had to replace one of those that wasn't part of an upgrade plan? Expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC