U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM

605 posts, read 1,363,098 times
It's popular, but a lot of folks are avoiding them because of having to use AT&T as the service provider. Smartphones that work on the Verizon network seem to be just as popular, particularly since Verizon has service in (some) Metro tunnels. That said, many of us can not justify the extra data costs and stick to plain ol' mobile phones with voice and texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM

9,805 posts, read 7,964,795 times
I don't own an iPhone. But there are so many times I wish I did. It's way to convenient not to have, it seems.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,405,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
But I wouldn't go as far as to say that only rich people have them. I know plenty of people without a lot of money or even jobs (that was me when I first got mine) with iPhones. Its not the status symbol it once was because so many people have them these days.
I figured that was the case. Usually when it first comes out, the rich are the first ones to get their hands on them, and then as they get cheaper, they become more mainstream.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,630,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
It's popular, but a lot of folks are avoiding them because of having to use AT&T as the service provider. Smartphones that work on the Verizon network seem to be just as popular, particularly since Verizon has service in (some) Metro tunnels. That said, many of us can not justify the extra data costs and stick to plain ol' mobile phones with voice and texting.
AT&T really really really really blew when I had them. Whether it was in DC or San Francisco or (this one's a knee-slapper) Silicon Valley, I always felt like I was being waterboarded when I tried to make a phone call with it. I liked my iPhone but it wasn't enough for me to keep paying AT&T money they did not deserve.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 AM

4,033 posts, read 5,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
AT&T really really really really blew when I had them. Whether it was in DC or San Francisco or (this one's a knee-slapper) Silicon Valley, I always felt like I was being waterboarded when I tried to make a phone call with it. I liked my iPhone but it wasn't enough for me to keep paying AT&T money they did not deserve.
Yeah a lot of people complain about them. But honestly never really had a big problem with them. Do I wish the reception was better? Yes. Especially where I work at. But EVERYONE in this office complains about the cell reception so its not uniquely AT&T. But I've had AT&T for 8 years so not really all that interested in shaking things up with Verizon or Sprint.

On one hand AT&T needs to address this problem pronto. The Droid looked pretty cool and doesn't have the reception reputation that AT&T has. But at the same time I'm more concerned about 3G coverage than cell coverage these days. Although those usually are one in the same. I use the internet and text way more than I actually talk.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 AM

Generally with Verizon if you've got a signal it's gonna be 3G. AT&T may cover "97% of all Americans" but that doesn't mean you'll get excellent 3G coverage outside of major metropolitan areas. I recall being on EDGE (2.5G) for the majority of a trip to Montreal last summer after we passed Albany, as well as being either on EDGE or without any signal the majority of the time I was in Vermont (except the one day I was in Montpelier).

Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 AM

605 posts, read 1,363,098 times
There was an interesting story on NPR recently about 3G networks and reception. The guest expert's take was that the existing networks lack the capacity for all of the data transfer that's happening as smartphones become exponentially more popular. He believed that a lot of the iPhone dropped call issues were less of an obstructed antenna issue and more of a problem of volume on AT&T's network. It seems that until we get a 4G network with the bandwidth for data (far larger than call volume in certain areas) that reception is going to get crummier for all of us. I have no particular information to verify the validity of these opinions, but it was interesting to hear.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Well the iPhone had dropped call issues long before the iPhone 4 came out. The iPhone 3G started putting a lot of strain on AT&T's networks and the iPhone 3GS practically crippled it in places like NYC and San Francisco. The iPhone 4's call drop issue has to do with boneheaded engineering, not AT&T. Naturally, ol' Steve Jobs claimed that every cell phone has the same issue. He could have made the Nazis look good if he led their PR.

What's infuriating is that despite making tons of money, AT&T didn't even seem to care about their failing network until this year.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Well the iPhone had dropped call issues long before the iPhone 4 came out. The iPhone 3G started putting a lot of strain on AT&T's networks and the iPhone 3GS practically crippled it in places like NYC and San Francisco. The iPhone 4's call drop issue has to do with boneheaded engineering, not AT&T. Naturally, ol' Steve Jobs claimed that every cell phone has the same issue. He could have made the Nazis look good if he led their PR.

What's infuriating is that despite making tons of money, AT&T didn't even seem to care about their failing network until this year.
Dude! Totally tried to rep you but it said that I had to spread the love or something. LOL about Steve Jobs.

Yeah I've heard that too many customers is part of the problem. When I told one particular roommate about my new iphone (well new at the time) she rolled her eyes and was like: "Great the 3G is going to be even slower." I'm thinking: "K. Didn't know this house had an iPhone limit." Oh well.

I did notice that there would be delays with my texts when I was in NYC last month. But everyone seemed to have gotten all my inane facebook updates. First there was drunk dialing, then drunk texting, now drunk facebook posts (that you have to delete the next day but its too late half your family saw). But yeah I mean its not great but I love my iPhone and have no regrets. Well...maybe waiting until the iPhone 4 came out. I was so close. Like as soon as I got it 3 days later they make the announcment!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
They are working on it though. Last month I had all bars at the metro stops between VA and Eastern Market on the orange line. But only when the train stopped as soon as weh were going through the tunnels no bars.

I know that for me I take advantage of the data. I'm a gotta know now type and its very convenient to be able to check my bank account whenever I want or be able to flirt online while I'm walking down the sidewalk. So everyone does indeed have to look at what's important. Like I said I've noticed that folks with children seem less likely to have iPhones but then again how many parents do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC