U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,548 posts, read 5,051,216 times
Reputation: 1292

Advertisements

I'd agree with pretty much all of the neighborhoods listed here, and might add Brookland and Petworth to the list as well. Petworth's a bit farther along, and I would imagine that you're going to continue to see smaller mixed-use projects and one-off renovations throughout it and Brightwood in the coming years. I doubt you'll see anything as major as the Petworth metro development, but I honestly feel that's probably a good thing, and allows the neighborhood to sprout up more organically. Additionally, considering the quality of the housing stock, Petworth is one of the few DC neighborhoods that remains something of a "value".

I said Brookland because I believe that the ongoing eastward gentrification and redevelopment push will continue, and Brookland--with its housing stock, existing commercial corridor, and presence of institutions such as the Shrine and CUA--seems a logical progression. but I say that with an asterisk, because there are a goodly number of Brooklandians who are not keen to see their neighborhood become the next Logan or H Street or whatever. There have been a couple of sizeable development projects proposed near the Brookland Metro that have been met with stiff opposition, largely out of density concerns. Many Brookland residents prefer the neighborhood's "village-esque" quality and don't want to see that changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,400 posts, read 7,987,591 times
Reputation: 6070
Brookland's really pretty, I drove through it the other day. Definitely gave me a blue collar feel for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
17,595 posts, read 10,074,576 times
Reputation: 6204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I just wish H Street was growing more organically as part of the existing community like U Street's revival and less like "White Kid Funky Land!" themepark was dropped in.
I kinda get what you're saying here, but not really. I mean, didn't they also drop an "amusement park" right on U Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM
 
Location: London, NYC, DC
1,068 posts, read 1,072,324 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I said Brookland because I believe that the ongoing eastward gentrification and redevelopment push will continue, and Brookland--with its housing stock, existing commercial corridor, and presence of institutions such as the Shrine and CUA--seems a logical progression. but I say that with an asterisk, because there are a goodly number of Brooklandians who are not keen to see their neighborhood become the next Logan or H Street or whatever. There have been a couple of sizeable development projects proposed near the Brookland Metro that have been met with stiff opposition, largely out of density concerns. Many Brookland residents prefer the neighborhood's "village-esque" quality and don't want to see that changed.
I can certainly see growth in Brookland, but its location is its biggest drawback (or advantage, depending on how you look at it). The fact that it's not part of a continuous area of high-density commercial and residential means that it's more disconnected from what would normally be trendy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
 
245 posts, read 315,823 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Really? I don't think it'd fit you know? I'd like to see a Barnes and Noble in my neck of the woods in Shirlington. Too bad the Books a Million closed there.

Yeah Shaw would need to transition to Barnes and Noble not just build one overnight. Now a neighborhood that Barnes and Noble would fit in a little better might be Capitol Hill or maybe Columbia Heights.

Pottery Barn is def too upscale for Shaw right now.
I agree that neither of these businesses would fit in Shaw, but for the exact opposite reason. Shaw is going through a really interesting period - best illustrated by a stroll through Capitol Supermarket - in which there is very high end and very low end, but absolutely no market for large, mid-range chains such as these. The low end can't afford them, and the high end wouldn't bother with them. Note Seasonal Pantry, Rogue 24, Passenger, Corduroy, Supper Club, the various art galleries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
 
9,999 posts, read 8,952,851 times
Reputation: 3546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I kinda get what you're saying here, but not really. I mean, didn't they also drop an "amusement park" right on U Street?
You may be right, but what amusement park do you see dropped on U Street? I feel like the nightlife and restaurants on U have always reflected who's living there. It's become a mix of professoinal black and youngish professional white/Asian/ME/etc. that have a few of their own places but tend to mix up pretty well with each other, especially in the jazz spots and places like Marvin... pretty accurate representation of the area, for better or worse.

H Street NE emerged because a successful bar owner built several new bars all at once that were clearly designed to attract young white people to a very black neighborhood. I'm sure a lot of the new white kids think they're on the frontier of hip, but it was all very orchestrated to lure them in from the beginning. 11th Street in Columbia Heights, in contrast, I'd say grew up more organically as the neighborhood changed, but I've never been in those places so I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: USA
6,741 posts, read 4,087,314 times
Reputation: 2347
are you really saying you want to know what is the next neighborhood all the dirtbags will be leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM
 
1,583 posts, read 1,706,293 times
Reputation: 782
WOW, this was almost 2 years ago. Looking back and looking at it now, I'm pretty sure Columbia Heights has peaked.

I'm guessing NoMa will be the next neighborhood to rise up, followed by Waterfront/SW whenever that development gets underway. H Street a close third, whenever that streetcar gets up and running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,168,453 times
Reputation: 474
Really tho Bajan, two years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,033 posts, read 5,256,695 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I kinda get what you're saying here, but not really. I mean, didn't they also drop an "amusement park" right on U Street?
I wouldn't call U street an amusement park. Its a fun area but its so gosh darn expensive these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
I agree that neither of these businesses would fit in Shaw, but for the exact opposite reason. Shaw is going through a really interesting period - best illustrated by a stroll through Capitol Supermarket - in which there is very high end and very low end, but absolutely no market for large, mid-range chains such as these. The low end can't afford them, and the high end wouldn't bother with them. Note Seasonal Pantry, Rogue 24, Passenger, Corduroy, Supper Club, the various art galleries...
Wow two years and things have changed. Now I couldn't imagine suggesting that another book store open. Any book store that's still open in the days of kindles and ipads is lucky.

Capital Supermarket? You mean the place with the red awning on 11th street? I park by there sometimes if I happen to be hooking up with a white gentrifier that lives in the area. It looks kinda ghetto from the outside.

The area could use a mid-range supermarket like a Safeway or Giant. Not sure they're ready for a Whole Foods or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You may be right, but what amusement park do you see dropped on U Street? I feel like the nightlife and restaurants on U have always reflected who's living there. It's become a mix of professoinal black and youngish professional white/Asian/ME/etc. that have a few of their own places but tend to mix up pretty well with each other, especially in the jazz spots and places like Marvin... pretty accurate representation of the area, for better or worse.

H Street NE emerged because a successful bar owner built several new bars all at once that were clearly designed to attract young white people to a very black neighborhood. I'm sure a lot of the new white kids think they're on the frontier of hip, but it was all very orchestrated to lure them in from the beginning. 11th Street in Columbia Heights, in contrast, I'd say grew up more organically as the neighborhood changed, but I've never been in those places so I don't know.
I love racial mix on U street.

H street is very up and coming. My experience so far was taking a date to the burlesque show and taking myself out to Sticky Rice when they had Living Social deal. It was fun. I really like H street and can see a lot of potential particularly when the streetcar gets going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top