U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
Really tho Bajan, two years ago.
It's hard to believe two years has gone by that quickly, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
WOW, this was almost 2 years ago. Looking back and looking at it now, I'm pretty sure Columbia Heights has peaked.
CH has a lot more room for growth, imo. I think 14th Street could probably be developed a bit more. I probably should have added Mt. Pleasant to my list, too. That neighborhood should be more lively than it is given the number of storefronts along Mt. Pleasant St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I'm guessing NoMa will be the next neighborhood to rise up, followed by Waterfront/SW whenever that development gets underway. H Street a close third, whenever that streetcar gets up and running.
NoMa will be interesting. I didn't realize how fast they were bulding over there. They're almost done with brand new condos right next to the FedEx building on Florida Ave. You have gentrification spreading to the east from U Street and to the north from H Street/Union Station/Capitol Hill/Senate Square. I remember when that whole area by the Greyhound station used to be super sketch. Now there are new trees, new lamposts, new condo buildings, and even a coffee shop. Who knows what will be over there five years from now.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 PM

246 posts, read 499,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Wow two years and things have changed. Now I couldn't imagine suggesting that another book store open. Any book store that's still open in the days of kindles and ipads is lucky.

Capital Supermarket? You mean the place with the red awning on 11th street? I park by there sometimes if I happen to be hooking up with a white gentrifier that lives in the area. It looks kinda ghetto from the outside.

The area could use a mid-range supermarket like a Safeway or Giant. Not sure they're ready for a Whole Foods or anything like that.
Oops, I didn't notice the date. Anyway, next time you are around, stop by Capitol. I would say that it looks more than kinda ghetto; it looks downright scary. At first glance, the inside matches the outside. But, if you look a little closer, the rich food products share the shelves with Paromi Teas, Moorenko's and Gifford's Ice Cream, squid ink pasta, artisanal granola, Dolci , and Asian specialties such as frozen durian. Seriously, it is generally my first stop when I am giving tours of the neighborhood.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,853,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
Oops, I didn't notice the date. Anyway, next time you are around, stop by Capitol. I would say that it looks more than kinda ghetto; it looks downright scary. At first glance, the inside matches the outside. But, if you look a little closer, the rich food products share the shelves with Paromi Teas, Moorenko's and Gifford's Ice Cream, squid ink pasta, artisanal granola, Dolci , and Asian specialties such as frozen durian. Seriously, it is generally my first stop when I am giving tours of the neighborhood.
So looks can be decieving huh? Interesting.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM

115 posts, read 225,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
CH has a lot more room for growth, imo. I think 14th Street could probably be developed a bit more. I probably should have added Mt. Pleasant to my list, too. That neighborhood should be more lively than it is given the number of storefronts along Mt. Pleasant St.
Nothing ever happens in Mt. Pleasant because the neighborhood "powers-that-be" don't allow any development...at all...ever.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM

83 posts, read 102,344 times
Definitely Petworth should be up there on this list. Georgia Avenue is changing seemingly every month and even high end establishments are slowly setting up shop. Around rush hour these days you see just as many young professionals as you do older/working class folks.

And of course once the dreaded subsidized housing that most yuppie gentrifiers can't wait to see leave on Park/Morton streets is torn down (as part of that "new communities" initiative), the floodgates will surely open and I'm guessing in a few years most of that area retail will cater to newcomers.

I remember in '04-'05 you could rent a nice 2 bedroom, 1 block from petworth metro for $1000-1100. Not "upscale" luxury units, but still properly maintained and quite nice. Now those same type of units right by the metro go for double!!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM

48 posts, read 90,170 times
Columbia Heights is the best neighborhood in D.C. period

Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,853,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiz View Post
Columbia Heights is the best neighborhood in D.C. period
How so? What makes it the best?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:46 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,062,796 times
I wonder how those "hot" neighborhoods will be 20 years from now.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,906,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plive202 View Post
Definitely Petworth should be up there on this list. Georgia Avenue is changing seemingly every month and even high end establishments are slowly setting up shop. Around rush hour these days you see just as many young professionals as you do older/working class folks.

And of course once the dreaded subsidized housing that most yuppie gentrifiers can't wait to see leave on Park/Morton streets is torn down (as part of that "new communities" initiative), the floodgates will surely open and I'm guessing in a few years most of that area retail will cater to newcomers.

I remember in '04-'05 you could rent a nice 2 bedroom, 1 block from petworth metro for $1000-1100. Not "upscale" luxury units, but still properly maintained and quite nice. Now those same type of units right by the metro go for double!!
That's not Petworth, though, that's Park View, but I'm a stickler on neighborhoods. However, it is interesting how the Metro shapes our view of what consitutes what neighborhood, as does gentrification. I've seen Park View referred to as Petworth, South Petworth, Columbia Heights, and East Columbia Heights. In a way it's sad that we're losing heritage, but cities do evolve, so I'll go with it. What matters is that places that were formerly neglected are now seeing investment and spreading out the population so prices and rents can hopefully be buffered somewhat and DC's population can continue to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC