Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,988 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to dc for law school. I have only visited and went on tours... never got into the meat of the city. Can someone suggest somethings to me...
I need a nice place to live with pretty cheap rent doesn't have to be in the city.
Is there any place where I could work with a criminal justice undergrad degree that will have a night shift?
My boyfriend will be coming with me but he does not have an undergrad yet... will he be able to find work with a good pay?
Should I get rid of my car and just take the metro?
Are there any real racist areas... VA is known for the Klan and I want to avoid al of that noise?

Are most apartments pet friendly?
What is the average cost of living? Is there a middle class?
AND ANY OTHER INFO IS MORE THAN APPRECIATED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
Oh wow. Where to start with this. Let's start with the racism, shall we?

I grew up in Milwaukee. You want racist? Move there, it's hostile. I spent most of my adult life in San Francisco where "racism" as we know it does not exist. So moving out here was major culture shock for me. Safe to say you won't need to turn down any offers to attend the Klan rally in Northern Virginia. I've found this area to be somewhat "racist" but it isn't nearly as hostile as what I encounter in Milwaukee. I am a white female living in an area of DC that is 97% black so maybe I enjoy a challenge, or am adult enough to handle any perceived or implied racism. You'll need to define your comfort level before anyone here can give you advice there, what's racist to you might be just another morning in the hood for me.

Define "cheap rent" because no one here can do it for you. Cheap for me might be out of reach for you. I imagine coming from Michigan you are in for a real shock once you actually start looking at rents.

Being that the DC metro is as large and diverse as it is, "average" cost of living is again something you'll have to figure out. I found that while rent here is comparable to what I was paying in overpriced San Francisco, my actual cost of living (food, gas, etc) is somewhat cheaper. That doesn't mean it's cheap compared to, say, Kansas City but I survive. Then again, I also have two jobs.

No most apartments are not pet-friendly. I lucked out and found one that is but that's because I am renting directly from the condo owner, not an apartment management company. It may also be because I am in the hood.

If I were you, I would go on Craigslist, look at some places you like that are within your budget and then come back on here and see what others have said about those areas. That will at least help you set your comfort baseline.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 PM

115 posts, read 273,571 times
Without knowing where you will need to be getting to on a daily basis, I'd recommend checking out Takoma Park or Silver Spring (both in Montgomery County, MD) or Hyattsville (in Prince Georges County, MD).

Both affordable areas with metro access.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,988 times
Well in michigan downtown one bedroom is about 700. And by racism I mean just like cross burnings and things like that... I am very fair skin and my boyfriend is darker so must people think we are an interracial couple and we have encountered alot of issues and slurs.. Just want to escape the nonsense

Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella luce View Post
Well in michigan downtown one bedroom is about 700. And by racism I mean just like cross burnings and things like that... I am very fair skin and my boyfriend is darker so must people think we are an interracial couple and we have encountered alot of issues and slurs.. Just want to escape the nonsense
You're walking into a trap if you want to avoid it completely but you can certainly live with it depending on where you end up. I deal and it's pretty obvious when I am out and about in my area that I don't exactly belong here. Personally I like that about this town, the way people go about interrogating outsiders is fascinating.

People will hate on you wherever you are in this town regardless of what color you are, that's just a reality. They'll judge you by your car before they judge you for your skin color, in my experience. I could be way off, that's just my perception.

$1500 is a good place to start generally speaking. You can live comfortably for that in some areas but in others it's really touch and go. Be wary of cheap deals on Craigslist that are closer to what you're paying now - I lucked out (again) but I know my unit isn't the norm in my area or price range.

Side note: law school? Seriously? Do you plan to work when you're done with school? It's bad out there for lawyers, DC is no better.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Are there any real racist areas... VA is known for the Klan and I want to avoid al of that noise?
Wow, have we time-warped back to the 50s? Why do you say Virginia is "known for the Klan"? We're know for Revolutionary and Civil War battle sites, Monticello and Mt. Vernon, horse country, peanuts, the Shenandoah Mountains (amongst many more). I've never heard Virginia is "known" for the Klan.

Now, I will not say that Virginia is Klan-free, but I will not say that any state is Klan-free.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM

46 posts, read 65,297 times
Quote:
I'm considering moving to dc for law school. I have only visited and went on tours... never got into the meat of the city. Can someone suggest somethings to me...
I need a nice place to live with pretty cheap rent doesn't have to be in the city.
Is there any place where I could work with a criminal justice undergrad degree that will have a night shift?
My boyfriend will be coming with me but he does not have an undergrad yet... will he be able to find work with a good pay?

What is the average cost of living? Is there a middle class?
It all depends. As killabunnies stated before, people are likely to judge you on a host of other things (where you'll be studying, your boyfriends job and lack of undergrad degree, etc.) before your ethnicity comes into play, so I wouldn't worry about the physical appearance of you as a couple and racism.

Cheap is a relative term in this area, though you're likely to encounter prices that are considerably higher than in certain parts of MI. That said, you might consider being a bit more selfish with regard to where you live. Having a close family member and several close friends complete law school in this area, time means a lot and you may not have a desire to live far away from your campus when exams begin. If school will be in DC, live in the city, preferably in the same quadrant. Should you get rid of your car? Only if you believe your lifestyle will not be impacted by relying on the metro bus and rail. Will you and your boyfriend be comfortable lugging groceries from a metro station or bus stop?

Will your boyfriend be able to find work? Depends on what he has skills in. I really can't say. Will you be able to find a job with an undergraduate degree in CJ with a late shift? Again, that really depends on what you have experience doing though much of this area strikes me as a "daytime hours only" kind of place unless you're a police officer, metro bus driver, convenience store clerk, or hotel desk manager.

I can't say I'm aware of the cost of living, but there is most certainly a middle class here. Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 PM

I have to admit I'm kind of still laughing about the cross burnings.

I haven't seen any.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Is there any place where I could work with a criminal justice undergrad degree that will have a night shift? Are you going to law school full time or part time?
You can't hold a job your first year at law school and you wont have time for a job anyway. Working nights and going to law school is a terrible idea.
If your going to Law School part time usually those programs are at night so you can work during the day.
My boyfriend will be coming with me but he does not have an undergrad yet... will he be able to find work with a good pay? Probably not, DC is a very educated city. Will he be able to find something, yea sure it is possible but "high pay" probably not.
If you live near a metro yes, and as long as your school is near the metro too of course. The metro system is fantastic and you will save money on parking, insurance etc.. You can always join Zipcar if you need a car once in a while.
Are there any real racist areas... VA is known for the Klan and I want to avoid al of that noise? Dont worry about that.

What is the average cost of living? More expensive than most places as most large cities are, DC is not cheap but it is not NYC either. Is there a middle class? Of course there is a middle class.
What school are you planning on going to? Could offer some places near by to look.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Cross burning???? Where in the world are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC