Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 20,802 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everything I've seen about safety in Petworth has been dated 2007 or so (very old) A lot can happen in two years. What is it like NOW. Safety etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:46 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud909 View Post
Hi, Everything I've seen about safety in Petworth has been dated 2007 or so (very old) A lot can happen in two years. What is it like NOW. Safety etc. Thanks.
Not much different...the new development at the Petworth Metro is open, as is several new restaurants, so there's a bit more going on up there. But the relative safety of the neighborhood hasn't changed appreciably in 3 years.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks for your comment. My daughter is thinking of moving there and I was hoping to hear differently. Does anyone in the forum live there or know someone who does and are they fearful for their life. I checked a crime site and there are sex crimes, homicides, assaults with deadly weapons, etc. Give me a glimmer of hope if there is one. Thanks. She totally loved the apartment. I guess, though, safety is more important.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 AM

188 posts, read 670,388 times
I have friends who have lived there and they've had to deal with a few muggings. None of them are fearful for their lives (if you're really consistently afraid for your life in any DC neighborhood you're probably either paranoid or involved in the drug trade, most homicides don't happen to random passers by) Petworth is also an immense neighborhood, some sections of which are sketchier than others. I hear its sketchier the farther north you go, although I've never lived there so I'm not positive.

Also, you'll find those kinds of crimes in most neighborhoods in the city, just because they happen doesn't mean that there's a likely chance that they would happen to your daughter. Also, to live in a neighborhood in DC where none of that kind of thing happens at all, it'll cost way more than how much your daughter is probably looking to spend, looking for housing in Petworth. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being the safest hood in DC and 5 being the sketchiest, if you're in the southern part of Petworth I'd give it a 3.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 AM

136 posts, read 578,865 times
I live in Petworth and have for about 2 years. Being fearful for my life isn't something that remotely enters my brain at any time.

I love the neighborhood and have made friends that live here. It is constantly changing and new things come in every few months or so.

With that being said, Petworth is a very large neighborhood. There are certain parts that I would not want to live in for a variety of reasons but even in those areas I wouldn't be fearful for my life.

Can you give me an idea of where the apartment is located? If it is park place right above the metro - then she will be fine.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
Quote:
Thanks for your comment. My daughter is thinking of moving there and I was hoping to hear differently. Does anyone in the forum live there or know someone who does and are they fearful for their life. I checked a crime site and there are sex crimes, homicides, assaults with deadly weapons, etc. Give me a glimmer of hope if there is one. Thanks. She totally loved the apartment. I guess, though, safety is more important.
You should know that in every neighborhood in DC you will see such crimes. In fact, folks are often surprised by the crime statistics in neighborhoods that feel very safe, such as Georgetown. There are a few of reasons not to be too concerned by the overall statistics. The first is density. Petworth has a relatively high number of residents and visitors. Any one person's odds of becoming a crime victim are comfortably low. Next, drill down on the times the crimes occur. You'll see that most of the robberies and assaults occur very late at night, when your daughter will likely not be outside on foot. Lastly, there is no detail or nuance to those crime statistics. For example, a date rape is recorded as a sexual assault (as it should be), but that sexual assault doesn't mean that women are regularly getting dragged into alleys by a predator who roams Petworth. Lastly, look at the other neighborhoods where rent and property values are as low as they are in Petworth. Few if any other affordable areas have crime rates that are lower, comparable amenities, or a Metro stop.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Thanks for your comment. My daughter is thinking of moving there and I was hoping to hear differently.
I didn't realize that you were approaching this conversation from the perspective that Petworth is an unsafe neighborhood--otherwise, I would have prefaced my comments above by stating that Petworth is for the most part a quiet and safe, largely residential, neighborhood.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:41 PM

71 posts, read 266,653 times
I've been here in Petworth for about for about two years now. I like it so much, I bought a house here. Like any neighborhood, there are good places and bad. I'd like to think of mine as good.
Basically, I try not to hang out on Georgia Ave during the wee hours. This place is great and just getting better. I have seen appreciable differences in the area in my short time here. Services are a big deal and more are coming. Police presence has improved greatly. Asking prices for houses have jumped pretty quickly and people are buying them up.
It'll never be Columbia Heights, but I never want it to be. I enjoy the quiet too much.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
We need an exact address or we can't tell you whether she'll be safe or not.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. It was so helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC