U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,090,223 times
Besides the Loose Lips column, city paper is useless outside of looking up concert dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,896,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Besides the Loose Lips column, city paper is useless outside of looking up concert dates.
I enjoy reading Tim Carman's restaurant reviews, and it really is THE definitive arts guide for the DC region. Every once in a while they also have a feature story worth reading. Last week's piece on Leo Alexander was intriguing, for instance.

Honestly, the complaints I read about the CP are quite similar to those I have heard about many alternative weeklies in cities across the country. It seems that everyone feels the current incarnation of the paper can't hold a candle to where the paper was 10-15 years prior, but part of me wonders if such a "golden age" of alt-weeklies ever truly existed.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,090,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I enjoy reading Tim Carman's restaurant reviews, and it really is THE definitive arts guide for the DC region. Every once in a while they also have a feature story worth reading. Last week's piece on Leo Alexander was intriguing, for instance.

Honestly, the complaints I read about the CP are quite similar to those I have heard about many alternative weeklies in cities across the country. It seems that everyone feels the current incarnation of the paper can't hold a candle to where the paper was 10-15 years prior, but part of me wonders if such a "golden age" of alt-weeklies ever truly existed.
Here is an alternative weekly newspaper from back in my home-state, that I read quite often. I prefer it over the daily mainstream paper back home because they actually research stories and the conservatives have not turned it into Faux News print edition like they did our Major News paper. Check it out. They actually take time out and research and write stories. As an Alternative, you have the advantage of having time to go in-depth on a subject.

Jackson Free Press | News, Opinions, Music, Events and Dining | Jackson, Mississippi

City Paper slaps some stuff together it seems like and comes off as a cheap trill.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM

211 posts, read 608,100 times
Well, you can check out what the Citypaper used to offer (the old stories are still online). Here's a great, sad story about Park View back in the day:
Post-Mortem: After six women died, Park View residents wondered who was preying on their neighborhood—and found the killer right around the corner. - Washington City Paper

And of course Jake Tapper's famous story about Monica Lewinsky:
I Dated Monica Lewinsky: Behind the tawdriest of headlines, there's a woman I wouldn't mind bringing home to mom. - Washington City Paper

I guess I have a hard time seeing either of these stories appearing in the current incarnation of City Paper.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,573,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
Well, you can check out what the Citypaper used to offer (the old stories are still online). Here's a great, sad story about Park View back in the day:
Post-Mortem: After six women died, Park View residents wondered who was preying on their neighborhood—and found the killer right around the corner. - Washington City Paper

And of course Jake Tapper's famous story about Monica Lewinsky:
I Dated Monica Lewinsky: Behind the tawdriest of headlines, there's a woman I wouldn't mind bringing home to mom. - Washington City Paper

I guess I have a hard time seeing either of these stories appearing in the current incarnation of City Paper.
Those seem exactly like the stories they print now.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,896,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:58 PM

211 posts, read 608,100 times
Ok ok, I surrender ...

Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,239,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It seems that everyone feels the current incarnation of the paper can't hold a candle to where the paper was 10-15 years prior, but part of me wonders if such a "golden age" of alt-weeklies ever truly existed.
It's part of a trend. As cities become more expensive, the types who used to write for those alternatives can't afford to stay. So they have to hire 2nd rate people to write for them. Also texting, tweeting, etc. has led to a general decline in writing and cognitive skills.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,239,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
That's because the CP slide started before years then. CP's golden age was from '80s up until about '95. The Jake Tapper story was not that great, I remember reading it when it came out. No juicy details, really. And besides, Tapper works for the lamestream media now. Obviously he used the CP in an opportunistic way, as a stepping stone.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM

821 posts, read 1,056,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
It's part of a trend. As cities become more expensive, the types who used to write for those alternatives can't afford to stay. So they have to hire 2nd rate people to write for them. Also texting, tweeting, etc. has led to a general decline in writing and cognitive skills.
I'd say the bigger trend in alt-weeklies is that classified ads -- their former bread-and-butter -- have all moved to Craigslist et al. As the ad revenue vaporized, the budget for the newsroom had to get hacked. City Paper has gone through several ownership changes in the past few years, and its sister Chicago Reader has seen its staff cut by almost 60% since 2006.

I can definitely feel that decline in cognitive skills, even in my own brain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC