Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'd actually rather be in Silver Spring :P but I myself am speaking for affordability on the fringes of the Metro like you said.
I hear ya. And I'd prefer Silver Spring over a lot of commensurately priced neighborhoods throughout the area.

And who knows..once the Fillmore opens, maybe I'd prefer SS over Dupont? Depends on the acts they get to play there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
DC already has rent control laws. Rent control will not solve the real problem (condos).

Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Let's hope so. Nobody in their right mind should pay $1100 a month to live in a Studio in Springfield, VA. When was the last time any one of your friends suggested a night on the town in Springfield? Exactly.
Hey now!!! Springfield is the Vegas of Virginia!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
The word of day is Bubble.

I am not a big fan of capitalism. I believe that any person should live anywhere he chooses without any barriers whether it be money, occupation, race, sexual preference etc. etc. Lower income people should NOT be condemned to slums or far-out rural areas because they cannot afford decent properties that are close to amenities and functional public schools. We live a complete BS society that allows this to happen.

I just slipped off the soap box now. Ouch.
As has been demonstrated over and over throughout the world, your philosophy doesn't work. Granted, capitalism needs to be reigned in with regulation and controls to keep greed of rich and poor people alike at bay, but how would your solution ever play out practically?

Hypothetical: I choose to live alone in an 11 room mansion in Kalorama. I make $27,000 a year. Make my dreams come true, Coldbliss - and don't tell me that all the 11 room mansions went the first day we ended capitalism. The limits of supply and excesses of demand in desirable areas cannot factor in. This is what I want and there are no barriers to my desires in your scenario.

Last edited by Bluefly; 08-08-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
As has been demonstrated over and over throughout the world, your philosophy doesn't work. Granted, capitalism needs to be reigned in with regulation and controls to keep greed of rich and poor people alike at bay, but how would your solution ever play out practically?

Hypothetical: I choose to live alone in an 11 room mansion in Kalorama. I make $27,000 a year. Make my dreams come true, Coldbliss - and don't tell me that all the 11 room mansions went the first day we ended capitalism. The limits of supply and excesses of demand in desirable areas cannot factor in. This is what I want and there are no barriers to my desires in your scenario.

coldbliss is talking about being able to afford a normal sized house or apt, not mansion.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
coldbliss is talking about being able to afford a normal sized house or apt, not mansion.
Fine. Same thing. I want a normal townhouse in Georgetown so I can live right near shopping and good schools. I make $27,000 a year. There's only so many townhouses to go around in that hood and a lot of demand for them but I desire one. Explain how I get it.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
I know you think that fundamental concepts like scarcity are strawman arguments, but this is what equal housing for all looks like in areas where a lot of people desire to be.

And please give us your crackpot theory on how condos are 'the problem'.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Fine. Same thing. I want a normal townhouse in Georgetown so I can live right near shopping and good schools. I make $27,000 a year. There's only so many townhouses to go around in that hood and a lot of demand for them but I desire one. Explain how I get it.
That isn't what coldbliss was saying.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I know you think that fundamental concepts like scarcity are strawman arguments, but this is what equal housing for all looks like in areas where a lot of people desire to be.

And please give us your crackpot theory on how condos are 'the problem'.
That link you posted isn't very helpful.

What I was responding to was the argument about an 11 room mansion in Kalorama (that was the strawman). The other poster never mentioned mansions.

The problem with those condos is that they are taking up space where means-tested housing could be instead. It's critical that DCHA begin building more public housing.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
That isn't what coldbliss was saying.
Then what does he mean when he says he believes anybody should be able to live anywhere they choose without the barrier of money?

Seems like a slippery slope to absolute chaos when there's too much demand and not enough supply. Just because people want something doesn't mean they should have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: