Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 PM

52 posts, read 240,403 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this topic has been posted already, but I've done some searches and haven't quite found the answers I seek. So I'm hoping you can all help me out, even if you just link to helpful threads in the forum archives. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

I'm...
-in my late twenties
-recent law school graduate (hoping for good news when Bar results post in a few months )
-moving to DC to work at a law firm

looking for a clean, updated apartment...
-with at least 1 BD (no roommates)
-in a safe and diverse area
-within walking distance of the Metro (up to 5 mins max)
-with an addt'l commute to downtown DC at no more than 15 mins. max

In a perfect world, I'd pay no more than 1500-$1600 max.

Also, it's really important to me, as a single woman, that I feel safe and secure when walking about at night. It's also important to me as a black woman that I'm around young professionals of all races -- most especially fellow black people. I want to be in an area that is lively and vibrant -- with lots of things to do at night and over the weekends. That said, I'm not at all into the bar scene, and I definitely don't want to be surrounded by college students in my spare time.

Finally, I'm still undecided about whether to live in DC proper or to branch out into VA or MD. Based on what I've gathered from this forum, NoVA may be too "suburban" for my newly acquired urban sensibilities. And MD seems to have too heavy a tax burden (and too far of a commute) to make it a viable option for me. On the other hand, I don't want to live downtown DC itself if it's going to be a ghost town at 5 pm.

Given my preferences, what neighborhoods do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Silver Spraaaaaaang

But yes Maryland has huge taxes. They seem to not go to waste but they're still pretty high. Arlington, VA (specifically neighborhoods like Ballston, Rosslyn, Court House and Clarendon) feels as urban as Silver Spring IMO. It's on the Orange Line and not a far commute to downtown, although it gets incredibly crowded. I don't think it's quite as diverse... and IIRC has a lot of popped-collar douchebag types.

Silver Spring is on the red line and not too far from downtown. It still gets crowded but not as crowded as the Orange line. It's quite safe, especially near the Metro. It's always bustling, which IMO is a good thing. I feel much safer walking around in Silver Spring at night than I would in, say, Fairfax City.

You might also consider southern Arlington (more commonly known as Crystal City). It's more quiet than Silver Spring or northern Arlington but it's also cheaper and you'll still have Metro access with a not too long commute downtown.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM

349 posts, read 990,985 times
Most women seem to be renting in Bethesda. It's a safe, cosmopolitan, pleasant area, although on the expensive side.

Every time I'm in Bethesda I see lots of single women, so I think that's what they prefer.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Silver Spraaaaaaang

But yes Maryland has huge taxes. They seem to not go to waste but they're still pretty high. Arlington, VA (specifically neighborhoods like Ballston, Rosslyn, Court House and Clarendon) feels as urban as Silver Spring IMO. It's on the Orange Line and not a far commute to downtown, although it gets incredibly crowded. I don't think it's quite as diverse... and IIRC has a lot of popped-collar douchebag types.

Silver Spring is on the red line and not too far from downtown. It still gets crowded but not as crowded as the Orange line. It's quite safe, especially near the Metro. It's always bustling, which IMO is a good thing. I feel much safer walking around in Silver Spring at night than I would in, say, Fairfax City.

You might also consider southern Arlington (more commonly known as Crystal City). It's more quiet than Silver Spring or northern Arlington but it's also cheaper and you'll still have Metro access with a not too long commute downtown.

YouTube - Silver Springs

Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times
First, let me say that Washington, DC is not a perfect world. Therefore, I would increase my upper bound on the rent by at least $300. It will make a huge difference in the quality of apartment. As a firm lawyer, you can afford it. You just have to get over the sticker shock.

Second, I would say that Silver Spring is not going to give you what you want. It's a nice area, but the commute will be closer to 30-40 minutes, assuming you're working in Gallery Place, Metro Center or Farragut North, where most of the big firms are concentrated. Silver Spring is safe, but it's not really walkable, so you get robbed of the "urban living" experience. But if you don't care about that, I say go for it. I have friends who live in Bowie and Columbia and drive to the city every morning, and they wouldn't have it any other way. Plus, you'll get a good deal of diversity in Silver Spring, so it does meet that criterion.

My recommendation is Ledroit Park/Bloomingdale, which encompasses the area surrounding Howard University. With the hospital, med school, and other grad schools so close, you always see lots of young black singles in the neighborhood. Ledroit Park is serviced by the Green Line (about a 5-10 min walk, depending on where you live), but there's also the G8 bus that runs pretty regularly. It doesn't have the bars and nightlife of a U Street or Dupont Circle, but it's close enough to those areas where you don't feel like you're missing the action. U Street is about a 15 minute stroll from my house. And I think it's a good thing that the neighborhood doesn't have too many bars and restaurants (though it certainly needs more). That means you don't have people from Virginia taking all of the parking spaces on your street at night.

I think you also have to factor in whether or not you intend to have a car. If I didn't have a car, I would love to live around Logan Circle. But having a car over there is such a liability. You'd either have to (1) pay at least $150/month to park it or (2) battle it out with Virginians for a limited amount of street parking and avoid the DC parking nazis in the process. It will also cost you much more to live in an area like Logan, and the quality of your apartment will likely not be as good.

One nice place that comes to mind is The Envoy off of 16th Street. A one-bedroom will probably run you about $1700. It's a short walk to U Street, and there's a bus that runs about as regularly (if not more so) than the subway.

Hope that's helpful.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Watch out. DC is ranked #1 in America in HIV and STDS

Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 PM

331 posts, read 904,040 times
Quote:
I feel much safer walking around in Silver Spring at night than I would in, say, Fairfax City.
Wait, Silver Spring is safer than Fairfax City?

Each time I go to downtown Silver Spring its always rival crews fighting and stabbing each other (mostly during the summer and friday and saturday nights). I had no idea Fairfax was worse?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
Wait, Silver Spring is safer than Fairfax City?

Each time I go to downtown Silver Spring its always rival crews fighting and stabbing each other (mostly during the summer and friday and saturday nights). I had no idea Fairfax was worse?
uhm I didn't say that

I said I FEEL safer. I don't know, I'd prefer walking around Silver Spring at midnight than I would in Fairfax where it'd probably be dead quiet. I fear some psycho jumping out at me from the woods (or a soccer mom running me over in her SUV) more than I fear some silly gangbangers fighting each other.

Also I've been to downtown SS a few times especially during the summer and I never see gang fights.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM

331 posts, read 904,040 times
Quote:
uhm I didn't say that

I said I FEEL safer. I don't know, I'd prefer walking around Silver Spring at midnight than I would in Fairfax where it'd probably be dead quiet. I fear some psycho jumping out at me from the woods (or a soccer mom running me over in her SUV) more than I fear some silly gangbangers fighting each other.

Also I've been to downtown SS a few times especially during the summer and I never see gang fights.
You should be at the mcdonalds or by the bus stops or metro station. like when its late or early morning.
idk I used to hand down silver spring every night and done seen it all.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
You should be at the mcdonalds or by the bus stops or metro station. like when its late or early morning.
idk I used to hand down silver spring every night and done seen it all.
lol I have. buncha kids acting uh, ignorant but that's run-of-the-mill around any popular DC night spots. Gallery Place comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: