Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 6,827 times

Advertisements

My 22 yr. old daughter will be moving in two weeks for her new job. She wants to be in the city, but needs her car for work. The grays on Penn. apts sound too good to be true. Is it a good area? Is it safe? Please advise---thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM

331 posts, read 901,204 times
Its the hood, but I think she'll be safe.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,706,041 times
Will she be driving to work? As someone stated earlier. It is the hood, not the roughest of hoods but still the hood but it is a very nice building. If she is driving and has some street sense, she should be okay.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 6,827 times
Sorry--- what exactly is the hood? She will use her car for work, but wants to enjoy d.c. nightlife without the car.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1246 View Post
Sorry--- what exactly is the hood? She will use her car for work, but wants to enjoy d.c. nightlife without the car.
I think their talking about an oven range hood

Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The basics, loud music, a few questionable characters here and there. Folks at the gas station asking to pump your gas for a few bucks and the other basic things. You can check the crime map if need be. Metropolitan Police Department (http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/intro.asp - broken link) . The area has some significant middle class African American neighborhoods close by though. She is not close to a metro stop though. She has the option of walking across the bridge to one or catching the bus. My gf catches the bus in DC by herself all the time, so it just depends on her comfort level.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 PM

834 posts, read 2,816,215 times
"Hood" is a common slang term for "neighborhood" meaning an inner-city neighborhood of African-Americans or other minority groups.

The neighborhood you ask about, is described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlawn,_Washington,_D.C. although this second article actually has more practical information Anacostia, Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The intersection of Penn and Minn Avenues among other things, for years has had one of the highest traffic collision rates in the city. This is partly because there is no direct ramp connecting freeways I-295 and I-395, and because of this, many motorists exit one freeway right at that spot, and make a quick U-turn onto Penn Ave to enter the other freeway. (If this situation has recently changed, someone please correct me). That very intersection of Penn and Minn Avenues for a long time has also been torn-up with road construction, causing a bottleneck on in-bound Penn Ave. I was just there, last week. There is very frequent city bus service at all hours, along Penn Ave past Capitol Hill and continuing straight thru the whole downtown area (or your daughter can choose to get off after riding just one mile from her apartment and transfer to the Metro subway at Potomac Avenue Station which is faster to get many places than the bus).

Last edited by slowlane; 08-10-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Btw. I hate that section of Pennsylvania Ave. It is a traffic nightmare.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM

331 posts, read 901,204 times
Quote:
Basically what ahales said. The bus lines that serve the area come from rough parts of the city so you'd get everything that comes along with that. The immediate area consists of two liquor stores, two carryouts, three gas stations, a check cashing place,a beauty supply store, and a post office. Theres no bars or anything until you go over the bridge and up by Potomac Ave station. It all depends on her comfort level, street sense, and tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC