Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 AM

20 posts, read 57,155 times

Advertisements

Hello gang

Will move to DC this Sunday for grad school. Will stay in the Crystal City area.

Couple of questions (about the Crystal City/DC area in general):

- i'm looking for a nice church (preferably non-denominational) that i could attend. I would love to find one that caters to a diverse mix of ethnicities, one where it wouldn't be too difficult to meet new people as well ..
- cheap haircuts; any places in DC that i should know of?
- cheap(est) grocery store where i could buy (healthy) food?
- a good (priced) 2nd hand clothing store?

And lastly, if there's anyone that reads this that is a new transplant to DC as well, i would love to hang out, so let me know if you'd like to get together.
Also, i apologize if these topics have been discussed before.

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Church: If you have a car, I LOVE Immanuel Bible Church off Edsall Rd. It's kinda in Annandale/Springfield/Alexandria. The young adult program is absolutely wonderful. I attended 3-4 churches in the area before I found them, and none of them compare. Within a couple weeks, I was plugged in to a small group and within a couple months I considered many people in the church friends. It's not terribly diverse, but I don't think anyone would stand out.

For hair cuts, when I lived in Crystal City I went to a little shop called "Color Touch Hair and Nails". It's just one girl who cuts hair, and she's super sweet. A hair cut is under $20. My husband doesn't like going to a place that does nails (he says it's too girly) so he goes to Super Cuts down route 1 in the barnes & noble/shoppers shopping center.

Grocery stores, you have your pick of Giant or Shoppers or Harris Teeter. I find HT more expensive, but they have more of the healthy stuff. There's a Whole Foods in Arlington, but I call them Whole Paycheck. I find Giant a nice middle ground.

For thrift stores, my all time favorite one is called Value Village off 193 in the College Park/Hyattsville area. It's huuuuuuuuge. There's also Unique, with a location in Fairfax and one downtown. Also big, although their prices are more. I believe they have discount days and frequent shopper cards and stuff though.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM

thank you so much! ill take a note of all of those

whole paycheck- HA!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I can't help you with the church or haircut (I like my place, but think they're pricey), but for food go to Shopper's in Potomac Yard. It's a big store, so you've got healthy and unhealthy, but their produce section is actually pretty good. If you want more gourmet/organic type stuff, look at Trader Joe's or what's on sale at Harris Teeter. Typically, I find stuff at Harris Teeter to be more expensive, but if you get their "card" and shop the sales it can be worthwhile.

For thrift stores, there's a big Goodwill on Glebe. I haven't been there, but a friend of mine loves it and gets some great buys.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Welcome to the DMV (DC-Maryland-Virginia)!

Yes, Shoppers's Food is typically the best bet for your money. I get most of my groceries at Costco...there is a nice but very hectic one at Pentagon City. Grand Mart, an asian chain, is also a popular choice. My favorite thrift store is the Salvation Army Thrift store on Little River Turnpike.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 AM

thanks a lot guys..

one thing i need to vent on...ive been mostly in the Foggy Bottom area for a week now..and wow...the women here are a big dissapointment..at least in terms of looks...very plain, no makeup, horrible fashion sense...

almost a week in, haven't seen ONE hot woman to make me go WOWWWW
what gives?? am i a gay maybe?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:21 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolYNWA View Post
almost a week in, haven't seen ONE hot woman to make me go WOWWWW
what gives?? am i a gay maybe?
guess so, congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC