Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,652,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
But that's the point of the matter there's more to Arlington than Ballston-Rosslyn or God collar popping in Clarenden. I don't know I guess I'm just a big Arlington fan. Although I will say that Alexandria beats Arlington in the diversity department but that only goes so far. And going back to the original title I'm thinking that the Hoboken of DC is well not in the city proper myself. There's nothing wrong with that. That's what I like about where I'm in Arlington. I can be crossing within 10 minutes shucks even 5 if I play my cards right traffic wise. But I don't have the expense that comes with city living although I will admit to thinking about getting a spot on the Hill.
Of course there's more to Arlington than the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor, and of course it is quite diverse. But, again, the OP is looking for something akin to Hoboken and that corridor is the only part of Arlington that would even come close, so whatever else is going on is rather irrelevant.

Anyway - looks like all that doesn't matter to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 24,337 times
Blue - If you think that part of Arlington is the only area that comes close to what I'm looking for, do you have any other suggestions that might be a better fit? Keep in mind I am still trying to stay in a suburb rather than the city in order to save on rent and keep my car.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,652,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braver07 View Post
Blue - If you think that part of Arlington is the only area that comes close to what I'm looking for, do you have any other suggestions that might be a better fit? Keep in mind I am still trying to stay in a suburb rather than the city in order to save on rent and keep my car.
Alexandria, though a little older crowd, is a very nice, traditional professional's city. You can try Bethesda and Silver Spring, but not sure you're going to like them based on what you've said. Bethesda's a little more uppity and Silver Spring's a little more gritty.

Parking permits in DC are pretty cheap for a year, so living in the city doesn't mean you have to necessarily get rid of your car. There are a lot of options in that Arlington corridor. Just follow the orange line west of the city.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,498,106 times
Let me throw a monkey wrench into this discussion, which has devolved into the usual DC vs Arlington spiral.
How about the Brookland-CUA or Gallaudet University areas of DC? Or is this area more comparable to Brooklyn NY than Hoboken NJ?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 PM

331 posts, read 900,305 times
I could've sworn Rosslyn and Ballston we're in Arlington County.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 PM

331 posts, read 900,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Let me throw a monkey wrench into this discussion, which has devolved into the usual DC vs Arlington spiral.
How about the Brookland-CUA or Gallaudet University areas of DC? Or is this area more comparable to Brooklyn NY than Hoboken NJ?
To me this is how I see it:

NW: Manhattan
NE: Queens
SE: Brooklyn
Silver Spring/Takoma Park/Langley Park: The Bronx
Alexandria/Arlington: Staten Island/Bergen County

In no means am I saying these places resemble anything NYC, but they are the closest thing to it.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:11 AM

660 posts, read 1,698,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
To me this is how I see it:

NW: Manhattan
NE: Queens
SE: Brooklyn
Silver Spring/Takoma Park/Langley Park: The Bronx
Alexandria/Arlington: Staten Island/Bergen County

In no means am I saying these places resemble anything NYC, but they are the closest thing to it.
Considering how popular Brooklyn is with white twentysomethings, I'm not sure SE is the closest equivalent. Capitol Hill is nice and all, but you don't find a lot of hipsters who just finished grad school there. I'd say that Columbia Heights/Petworth/Shaw are closer to the DC equivalent of Brooklyn.

Staten Island? Sure, Alexandria and Arlington are west of the main city, across a river, but they're not suburban communities filled with white working class people, and Alexandria in particular has a lot more character and history than 80% of the neighborhoods in DC.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,197,228 times
I recently moved from DC to North Arlington on the Ballston-Rosslyn Corridor and I love it. There's just as much to do out here as there is in the city. It's different, that's for sure, but so far its been more convenient. It's basically just as walkable and I'm a 5 minute walk from the Metro as well as a ton of bars and restaurants. I used to hate Arlington, but decided to give it a shot. So far, I'm pleased.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,642,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
I could've sworn Rosslyn and Ballston we're in Arlington County.
they're neighborhoods in Arlington

Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 AM

13,608 posts, read 20,661,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Considering how popular Brooklyn is with white twentysomethings, I'm not sure SE is the closest equivalent. Capitol Hill is nice and all, but you don't find a lot of hipsters who just finished grad school there. I'd say that Columbia Heights/Petworth/Shaw are closer to the DC equivalent of Brooklyn.

Staten Island? Sure, Alexandria and Arlington are west of the main city, across a river, but they're not suburban communities filled with white working class people, and Alexandria in particular has a lot more character and history than 80% of the neighborhoods in DC.
His comparisons, except for NW to Manhattan, were pretty far fetched. He admitted as much though.

Brooklyn is huge in area and population- could be the USA's 4th largest city on its own. Thus there are many Brooklyns. The Brooklyn you mention mostly resembles Logan Circle (Park Slope), Dupont (Park Slope again), and even Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria (Brooklyn Heights).

You are correct about Staten Island.

The people of Upper NW and Manhattan have many similiarities. The layout of NW mostly resembles Forest Hills in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC