Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,735 times

Advertisements

I'm not from the DC area, but after taking my daughter up to Virginia this past week to look at colleges, I wondered where kids from DC can look at universities and not have to pay out-of-state tuition. Choices for them within DC are obviously extremely limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:33 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,398,935 times
Udc

Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM

39 posts, read 172,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I'm not from the DC area, but after taking my daughter up to Virginia this past week to look at colleges, I wondered where kids from DC can look at universities and not have to pay out-of-state tuition. Choices for them within DC are obviously extremely limited.
Kids that live in DC can take advantage of the DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program.

The DCTAG expands higher education choices for District residents by providing grants of up to $10,000 toward the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition at public four-year colleges and universities throughout the US, Guam and Puerto Rico. The grant also provides up to $2,500 per academic year toward tuition at private colleges in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area, private Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) nationwide, and two-year colleges nationwide. DCTAG is neither need nor merit-based.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:34 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,735 times
So, kids from DC can ONLY attend colleges/universities within DC and be considered in-state? I know nothing about schools there, but can assume there would be very little need for dorms?

Is the $10,000 grant a yearly thing or is it a $10,000 grant spread over 4 years? and, is the $2,500 per academic year IN ADDITION to the $10,000?

The $2500 might go quite a ways at local 2-year colleges, but anything other than that, is still a lot of money to come up with on your own. Ouch!!!

BTW-Thanks for the replies. It's one of those things that once my mind takes a hold of the thought, it can't discard it until a revelation takes place!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times
Yes it's 10K a year. And yes they can only attend public universities in DC and be considered in-state. And indeed, AFAIK there aren't any dorms at UDC.

Judging from MadTV said, the best option for a DC resident who doesn't have a lot of money would be to go to either UDC or somewhere like Montgomery College or NVCC, on the cheap with that $2,500 grant. Do very well, then apply for a guaranteed transfer to one of the state universities in Maryland or Virginia. Hopefully you get some sort of grant (e.g. a Pell Grant) or reduced tuition, or even scholarships. Use the DCTAG grant as well, and then take out loans for the difference.

DC desperately needs to establish a community college system.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 AM

81 posts, read 175,930 times

You have to be a resident and pay taxes in DC for 5 years to participate in the DCTAG program, it is a pretty reliable program and you can attend any school in the country and they'll pay the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. I always argued why not take that money and fund your own college system instead of paying it to other schools outside of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: