U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 1,867,491 times
Terrence81,
Bruh, I have no Ivy League education. As a matter of fact, I attended a historically black college in Mississippi for my undergraduate studies. To be honest, I love my school and think we have very, very accomplished alumnae but we took in plenty of kids who might not have gotten in other places and I am fine with that. Taking a chance on a student with a 2.5 GPA and 16 ACT score is one thing but letting a kid walk in with a 1.9 GPA and a 12 ACT is another. I draw the line at Open enrollment.

I agree that there needs to be a place for kids that did not perform so well but that place is called community college.

Last edited by The Heartbreak Kid; 08-25-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-25-2010, 02:33 PM

4,033 posts, read 4,562,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Terrence81,

I agree that there needs to be a place for kids that did not perform so well but that place is called community college. I
That's my point though. If there's no community college in the city limits folks have to go somewhere. I'm sorry but I think open enrollment universities are a good idea. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Unread 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM

13,901 posts, read 15,132,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I must disagree with your aunt. UDC has not been around very long (1976), relatively speaking, and has never had anything but a lackluster reputation. I do not know if it has changed, but their admission standards were soley graduating from a DC public school (no mean feat) and scoring 200 on the SATs (also not very difficult).

Such standards, if you would call them that, are simply not going to produce a school with students exhibiting the necessary critical thinking and reasoning skills that would comprise what we generally term a college education. You can put lipstick on a pig, but...

The fact that it is no challenge at all to gain admission, yet so many drop out says it all. These are kids whom are simply not college material- not everybody is as such. I also do not see where a community college would do much better, unless it focused more on vocational training and certification rather than a transitway to a 4 year college.
I went to the community college in Northern Virginia and one thing I think is it helped kids realize whether they want to stick with the college thing or not without costing them too much money. I agree with you on more vocational training focus. They should have options other than an expensive for-profit school.

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:46 PM

4,809 posts, read 10,176,016 times
I think it will be interesting to see how UDC ranks in about five years.

They've only just completed their first year of their overhaul, splitting the open-enrollment community college faction off from four-year university component. It will take a few years to see how the new admissions criteria for the university affect enrollment and the student population.

I think it's pretty likely that their dropout rate will fall, now that the lower-performing students are being redirected to the community college.

Unread 08-26-2010, 07:07 AM

761 posts, read 688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
What do you suggest? I certainly hope you aren't suggesting that DC shouldn't have any type of community college-like institutions. Not everyone has a right to go to Georgetown but everyone has a right to an education. Every community in the country has some type of open enrollment institution why should DC be any different?

Well if there's no community college there has be somewhere that the poor and non-ivy league can go to get an education. I don't know just sounds well...elitist. Easy for you to say that if you've already got your degree.
__________________________________________________ ______________-

I don't know. I guess I'd be in one of those statistics as well since I didn't graduate college until I was 26. Not everyone can do the traditional 4 year route. Come to think of it I don't think I have any close friends from my hometown in Georgia that graduated in 4 years if at all. Life happens. Finishing school in 4 years is a luxury not a birthright; nor is it an indication of laziness or stupidity.

Again, I don't know. There's more to a school than how many graduated in 4 years although I realize that a school's drop out rate gives more leeway than that.

Does University of DC need to clean up its image? Yes. But denying those from less than stellar backgrounds the chance to redeem themselves and make a better life is NOT the answer.
In principle, don't have a problem with open enrollment either. However, I never would have chosen to attend a school with open enrollment and wouldn't want my child to either. The new UDC president is making some changes for the better i think because he's creating a tiered system and raising UDC entrance requirements. People who have a problem with making UDC more difficult to enter need to focus more on getting higher grades and SAT/ACT scores than complaining about how kids are going to be shut out.

What's unique about DC is that it's both a federal territory and a city so it has some of the same functions as a state, like running a university system, issuing fishing licenses, drivers licenses, etc. Other cities don't have to do that because their states assume that responsibility. DC doesn't have a state government to create a public college system like Virginia and Maryland has. Hopefully the changes will improve UDC's reputation and, in the future, make it a school that people from all over the country will want to attend.

If I were the "king" of DC, I would create a three-tiered public college system. The bottom tier would be the community college for people who aren't sure they want to go to college for several years or may simple want a certificate or an A.A. in some vocation. The middle tier would be a four-year masters level university, maybe called "Capitol College" or something like that, that would have moderately difficult entrance requirements. Then UDC would be the top tier, doctoral/research university with the hardest entrance requirements.

Unread 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM

7,304 posts, read 9,769,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I went to the community college in Northern Virginia and one thing I think is it helped kids realize whether they want to stick with the college thing or not without costing them too much money. I agree with you on more vocational training focus. They should have options other than an expensive for-profit school.
No argument there.

Unread 08-26-2010, 01:23 PM

4,033 posts, read 4,562,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
In principle, don't have a problem with open enrollment either. However, I never would have chosen to attend a school with open enrollment and wouldn't want my child to either. The new UDC president is making some changes for the better i think because he's creating a tiered system and raising UDC entrance requirements. People who have a problem with making UDC more difficult to enter need to focus more on getting higher grades and SAT/ACT scores than complaining about how kids are going to be shut out.
Well I'm all for better grades and scores. That doesn't eliminate the need for open enrollment type schools. The key word is "chosen". That's fine for you but I don't know I just like this whole idea of eliminating the option of open enrollment education. The community college idea is fine and real swell.

Unread 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Open Enrollment is the worst idea ever conceived. It removes the incentive. UDC is much like CCNY in New York City. It was once one of the best colleges around- tuition free and very hard to gain acceptance. Then in the early 70s they thought that too elitist and switched to open enrollment. Well, imagine, if you will, if they said anyone could go to Harvard. The quality plummeted and today its a joke.

The only difference is that UDC started with open enrollment, so its never known prestige.

Unread 08-26-2010, 05:14 PM

9,399 posts, read 6,634,955 times
Hence why they need to make a community college. Those are open enrollment, and if you do well you should then be guaranteed admission to UDC. It would make it gradually become a better school because only people who try will get in.

Unread 08-27-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Hence why they need to make a community college. Those are open enrollment, and if you do well you should then be guaranteed admission to UDC. It would make it gradually become a better school because only people who try will get in.
Few would have a gripe with the overall concept of that. However, the cynic in me suspects that the same people who created UDC would create this community college and the results would be similiar.

The fact of the matter is UDC is populated by a student body that is woefully unprepared for college level work. If they are failing to finish UDC in droves, I have a hard time believing adding an extra step is going to help. And if you have to bust your tail for two years simply to gain admission to UDC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: