Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 AM

81 posts, read 175,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
As well as Teachers College.

Real Ivy League group of schools there.
A school doesn't have to be an "Ivy" to be considered a great school. I never said that UDC was a world class institution, it's anything but. Also, because a school merges and or changes it's name does not mean that it continues to keep the same professors, philosophy, program, etc., they can hire new professors and change their focus. This has happened, for example George Mason's Law school 20 years ago sucked balls, their law school lost it's accredition many times, they changed thier name, hired new professors and now it's has a stellar law program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 AM

13,625 posts, read 20,674,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
A school doesn't have to be an "Ivy" to be considered a great school. I never said that UDC was a world class institution, it's anything but. Also, because a school merges and or changes it's name does not mean that it continues to keep the same professors, philosophy, program, etc., they can hire new professors and change their focus. This has happened, for example George Mason's Law school 20 years ago sucked balls, their law school lost it's accredition many times, they changed thier name, hired new professors and now it's has a stellar law program.
No, a school need not be Ivy to be a great school. Nonetheless, it must have something in the way of Standards and UDC has nothing of the sort. The consequences are clear and predictable.

Perhaps UDC should change their name, hire new professors, and dissolve the student body and admit another? Then they could be stellar.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,452 times
Default UDC is not that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
No BS I don't even wanna go to UDC anymore after reading that.
How can the university of the nations capitol be that bad.

I know UDC is having a lot of problems, but as a first year transfer student there- I am enjoying my semester. To be honest i did not want to go there, but I do not regret my choice of being a student there. Do not rely and depend on what you read, go on campus and talk with other students and faculty.
But there is a lot of improvement to be mad, and we need more students like myself and other people to bring change.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,210,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzozo View Post
I know UDC is having a lot of problems, but as a first year transfer student there- I am enjoying my semester. To be honest i did not want to go there, but I do not regret my choice of being a student there. Do not rely and depend on what you read, go on campus and talk with other students and faculty.
But there is a lot of improvement to be mad, and we need more students like myself and other people to bring change.
Hear hear!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,805,218 times
Well not everyone is a trust fund baby or otherwise rich enough to afford taking 15 credit hours every semester, while simultaneously having to survive and forage for food and shelter.

If students have to drop down to 12 credit hours or even half time in order to work enough hours to afford college, shelter, food, health, etc. and it takes them 5 or 6 years to graduate, more power to them. I don't think it is something that should somehow make them inferior job applicants or less smart when they apply for that entry level job or grad school because they didn't graduate in 4 years***

***By all means attack the people who took longer because they were partying on their parent's dime

Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,855,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Well not everyone is a trust fund baby or otherwise rich enough to afford taking 15 credit hours every semester, while simultaneously having to survive and forage for food and shelter.

If students have to drop down to 12 credit hours or even half time in order to work enough hours to afford college, shelter, food, health, etc. and it takes them 5 or 6 years to graduate, more power to them. I don't think it is something that should somehow make them inferior job applicants or less smart when they apply for that entry level job or grad school because they didn't graduate in 4 years***

***By all means attack the people who took longer because they were partying on their parent's dime
I get if you have children it might be very difficult to attend college and raise a child at the same time. However, the system is basically designed so that EVERYONE who wants to go to college can afford to do so without worrying about affording tuition, fees, shelter, food and health.

First, the tuition at UDC and most community college is dirt cheap, only the private schools or pro-profit places are ridiculously expensive. That tuition is subsidized by the DC and federal government. Most DC residents that recently graduated high school also get federally subsidized tuition reimbursement for out of state public schools, so they get instate tuition at most public universities in the country.

Second, you get federally subsidized loans that pays for both tuition AND LIVING costs. So no, you don't have to work if you don't want to.

Third, you get subsidized group health insurance as a student that has no pre-existing conditions. You also usually get access to free clinics as part of your student fees for more minor medical issues.

The key is whether you attend low cost public institutions (or private institutions with signficant grants) and will take it seriously enough so you'll get the degree and do well enough to get a job at the end of it. If not, you just piled on a lot of debt and your job prospects aren't any better than before you want to college.

So yes, you can be absolutely dirt poor and still go to college (no trust fund needed). You just have to believe in yourself, put in the effort, and stop making excuses that you can't afford it. There may be other reasons why college isn't for you, but it certainly isn't funding. That's a whole other topic.

FYI, this is the speech that Junior Achievement tells 6th graders in Chicago, many who have no idea that access to college is so easy in the U.S. A lot of poorer kids have a misconception that college is just for the rich when it isn't.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,356,930 times
o well, you can't stop people from trying to better themselves, even if they wind up just wasting their money.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 PM

220 posts, read 546,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Second, you get federally subsidized loans that pays for both tuition AND LIVING costs. So no, you don't have to work if you don't want to.
I could be wrong about this, but I do not think that federal student loan limits are high enough to fully cover living expenses AND tuition (+ books, student insurance, fees, etc), even at a public institution. If one isn't getting any family support and isn't willing or able to get private loans, one would probably have to work - might not have to work full-time but probably at least part-time & summers.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,356,930 times
i bet if less fortunate people got absolutely nothing from the feds, some people from the other side of the tracks would bicker about that too. people should just stop talking about taxes all the time, because you're not going to get it back anyway. uncle sam's just going to use it on something else, so get over it.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,855,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinghere View Post
I could be wrong about this, but I do not think that federal student loan limits are high enough to fully cover living expenses AND tuition (+ books, student insurance, fees, etc), even at a public institution. If one isn't getting any family support and isn't willing or able to get private loans, one would probably have to work - might not have to work full-time but probably at least part-time & summers.
Depends on your situation. I didn't say at every public university or any major.

At UDC's community college, full time, full academic year tuition and fees are $3,000. If you are independent, you can get up to $57K of direct federal loans, of which $9,500 can be used your first year and $12,500 by your 3rd year. That isn't easy, but definitely doable. You aren't going to live in a 2BR in Dupont Circle, but you can afford to share a studio (like a dorm room) with a roommate or 2 in a lot of poorer neighborhoods for very moderate cost.

That assumes you don't have a parent or guardian willing to sign a PLUS loan for you, which can be for up to $40K a year. Many parents sign these and have their kids take them over by either doing a loan consolidation or taking over the payments.

Plus, many colleges have need based grants, fee waivers, etc., or even easy part time jobs where you can study while working (i.e. working at the library).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: