Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 PM

41 posts, read 96,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
I would love to see an extensive light rail system built in DC. A return to the street car is highly needed, especially considering that the metro is beginning to reach capacity. An extensive lightrail would serve a variety of benefits to the city. A lightrail can serve areas currently underserved by metro, lower ridership on the metro by removing some current short distance metro riders and also provide a ready highly visible transit option for tourists, and over the long term reduce maintenance costs associated with maintaining the WMATA bus fleet. Other benefits associated with an extensive lightrail would be the gentrification and redevelopment of district areas previously untouched by development. IMHO DC has developed tremendously over the past decade with many projects that have moved individuals away from their cars and onto transit. The massive increase in walkable entertainment venues is truly gobsmacking. A developed light rail would only increase and encourage this development.

Speaking to the height restriction I for one would never want to see a relaxation of this law, a few areas yes, but not the whole. The NOMA area would be an interesting area to study for height opening. Additionally the Kennedy stadium, once torn down could prove to be another area for higher height limits 15 - 20 story limits. This softening of height laws coupled with the construction of a few taller buildings within Arlington and even one or two within Crystal City would give DC an interesting panorama of glass structures surrounding the monumental core. Outside of this, DC has plenty of areas remaining that could use additional density and the laws in place would do little to discourage or limit this growth. Afterall one of the unique attributes of this city is that it does not emulate the rest of the country. I am always impressed by the view of the district when entering from the Virginia side. There is almost a Roman quality to the maze of columns, and buildings. The unique horizon of steeples, copulas, and domes is what makes DC.
Jus thought I'd let you know that the light rail idea is already in the works. Within two years it will be completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 AM

638 posts, read 929,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaront View Post
Jus thought I'd let you know that the light rail idea is already in the works. Within two years it will be completed.
Not really. DC ran out of funds for the first segment in Anacostia and the contract expired. If DC had remained on target (without getting involved in the issue of overhead lines), the first segment would be built and running. Remember that the rail cars ordered for the demonstrator line sat (completed) in the Czech republic for nearly two years before being delivered here. In fact they’re now asphalting over some of the layed rail. http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=108815&catid=158 If they continue on their current pace, lightrail won’t be running in the District for some time to come.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:07 PM

331 posts, read 903,954 times
Quote:
Not really. DC ran out of funds for the first segment in Anacostia and the contract expired. If DC had remained on target (without getting involved in the issue of overhead lines), the first segment would be built and running. Remember that the rail cars ordered for the demonstrator line sat (completed) in the Czech republic for nearly two years before being delivered here. In fact they’re now asphalting over some of the layed rail. http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=108815&catid=158 If they continue on their current pace, lightrail won’t be running in the District for some time to come.
The H street line is still being built though and its not that far from being finished. It can be opened in its first segment from Union station to Oklahoma ave sooner then extend it to Benning Road station or Minnesota Ave station making a shortcut and people won't have to go all the way downtown to connect to the red line or vice versa. Plus it'll be more efficient. For that to work though D.DOT needs to order some more streetcars.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
I hate to be 'that guy' but god damn, government is so inefficient at anything except killing.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 PM

159 posts, read 359,977 times
Remove the people.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 AM

638 posts, read 929,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I hate to be 'that guy' but god damn, government is so inefficient at anything except killing.

Exactly, I cannot believe the handling of this project. But to be fair, the lack of progress has been more political than anything else. Especially the roads bloacks that the Capitol Planning Commision have thrown up, yikes!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Exactly, I cannot believe the handling of this project. But to be fair, the lack of progress has been more political than anything else. Especially the roads bloacks that the Capitol Planning Commision have thrown up, yikes!
Exactly, typical government sloth and lackadaisical attitude.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Give me a favorable climate to live in, my complaints are few.

Put me in an unfavorable climate, and you'll never hear the end of my complaints.

In DC, before long, I'd want to tear the whole city down and start over.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:07 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
WHY?

What is wrong with the escalators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
1) Replace all Metro escalators with elevators

Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Uh, don't transients do that by themselves by nature of being 'transients'.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC