Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times

Advertisements

Streetcars are really pointless in my opinion. I hated the trolleys in New Orleans. They are slow, they are limited where they go, and maintenance is not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Eh, it's basically either that or BRT. Both are cheaper than digging up the earth and putting tracks underground, both are faster than normal buses and in the case of street cars can carry more than buses.

What I'm a big supporter of is light rail for the purple line. I mean yeah it'd be great to have a 'medium rail' (AKA what the current Metro is) but it'd be a lot cheaper and easier to just use light rail and have it run on streets or medians.

Also I think they'll be less like the street cars in New Orleans and more like the Muni Rail in San Francisco, which is pretty great IMO.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:42 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
New Orleans streetcars are only slow due to the number of stops. We need an express line down here (if you go out onto St. Charles Ave at night you can see the streetcar flying down the street)

Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM

331 posts, read 904,040 times
I still say a monorail is a better choice for the proposed Georgia Ave line ands it more appealing, its already gonna take 10-12 years to build it maybe even more if all the project delays. If your going to take a 5th of a century to build something make sure its in demand for the future. D.C.'s population is steadily rising and traffic is getting worse. People in this area already can't drive as it is I can't wait to see how many accidents occur with the H street/Benning Road line. Who knows maybe people will realize that a streetcar will destroy their car and use better judgement.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Here's a basic (very basic) list of reasons why:
BeyondDC

#5 is most important, and in fact the only reason that matters. DDOT has floated the idea of having local property owners pay much of the cost:
Commercial property owners may be asked to pay for part of streetcar costs
(In addition to the NY Ave Red Line station, this approach is also being used to pay for the Silver Line.)

The NOLA lines are slow mostly because they're old equipment that's prone to breakdowns. You can't deny, though, that they're rather popular and have helped to direct new development.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Streetcars will close the gaps between the Metro and hopefully take some pressure off. But that doesn't mean you won't build more lines , the DC Metro needs 2 New lines , otherwise the system will be worse then it is now. A separate Blue line is a start , and a new pink line to NOVA. Also a Ring Light Rail line around DC , basically an extension of the proposed purple line. Streetcars are a start just the beginning. In 20-30 years you'll have a Urban / Regional Rail system = to your NYC Cousin. With the proposed / planned System expansions for MARC and VRE it will be easier to get into NOVA / DC. As for monorails there only built for Airport connections , BWI station should get one connecting it to the Terminal sometime in the Future. In 20 years , True HSR will connect DC - Philly - NYC - CT - Boston with speeds up to 230mph.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...ns-dense-core/

Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Please share the MARC and VRE extensions, hopefully Annapolis gets a line.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
Please share the MARC and VRE extensions, hopefully Annapolis gets a line.
VRE and Amtrak extensions for Virgina

Extension of the Fredricksburg line to Richmond , along with Electrification , Grade separation and higher speeds. Electrification would extend the NEC to Richmond or Norfolk.

Extension of the Manassas line to Culpepper & a Branch to Haymarket

Streetcars in NOVA are planned , but the funding has become an issue.....

MARC extensions & Amtrak Proposed Corridors

DC - Annapolis Rail or BRT line

Baltimore - Annapolis Rail or BRT line

Baltimore - Fredrick line

A New Baltimore Bypass line would bring the Camden line to East Baltimore

A Proposed Amtrak line between Baltimore - Harrisburg aka the I-83 Rail corridor its in the Northeast 2030 restoration / upgrade Rail plan

Planned Amtrak Wilmington - Dover - Ocean City line aka the Downstate line in the 2030 plan.

Also possible EMU's for the Penn line and extension to Newark,DE

Service on both networks by the end of the decade should be every 30-45 mins and run between 5am-12am like the Philly to Boston systems. Also bi-directional service. A VRE Engineer told me that. Virgina's plan is more solid then Maryland's , and Delaware's plan with the downstate rail seems to be gaining steam.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:49 PM

Good, all we need is a light rail down to Charles and St. Mary's counties

Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM

Oh and what about the Washington-Baltimore maglev project?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC