U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 7,063 times

Advertisements

I am bringing a group of college students to D.C. from the mid-west this Fall by van (date to be determined).
We are planning on staying in a youth hostel and buying a weekly [metropass]. Is there a museum pass (similar to the [newyorkpass]) that we can purchase? We are staying five nights, six days. We will not be leaving any items in the van, so I am wondering about on-street parking. How do I find out the street-sweeper schedules? I do not mean to sound provincial, but how shall we protect ourselves from bedbugs? This is primarily a museum/cultural analysis tour. Three of the students are from Nepal; one is from Ecuador, so I would like to visit establishments serving this cuisine so that these students can share their cultural knowledge with the rest of the group. Is there a government office or tourism department that assists in planning student visits? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:22 PM

331 posts, read 508,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germangoy View Post
Is there a museum pass (similar to the [newyorkpass]) that we can purchase?
Museums are free in D.C.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:29 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,583,096 times
The majority of the museums you will want to visit, Smithsonian for example, are completely free. As for other museums, I haven't heard of a pass, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. I have heard the Spy museum is excellent, but it is $18pp.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM

2,555 posts, read 1,672,799 times
For discounted tickets, the Cultural Alliance of Greater Washingon runs Ticket Place with a storefront at 407 7th St NW. They offer the NOW card which gets you into the International Spy Museum, Newseum, and the Open Top sightseeing tour for $20.
http://www.cultural-alliance.org/tickets/today.html

Metro does not offer weekly nor monthly passes. You can buy up to $45 on a pass for multiple trips.

For parking, I'd STRONGLY advise NOT parking on the street. See if there are any garages near your hostel that offer overnight parking. Alternatively, economy parking at Reagan National Airport is $12/day. Reagan National is four metro stops from downtown DC.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 AM

Thanks to all. As an alternative to the hostel, might we stay at a hotel/motel on the outskirts of town (e.g. Shady Spring, MD) and ride the metro into the city? Should we look for a hotel with a shuttle to the metro station, or is it acceptable to park the school van in the metro parking lot?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 AM

2,555 posts, read 1,672,799 times
I'd find a hotel with a metro shuttle and park the van at the hotel. Parking at the metro is $1 per hour and you may need to pay to park it overnight at the hotel anyway. You may want to look at hotels in Alexandria, Springfield, or Falls Church VA for more options.

I'd advise budgeting $25/day for parking; it's an unavoidable cost of driving in the DC area.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:46 PM

331 posts, read 508,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Metro does not offer weekly passes.
Metro - Fares - Purchase - Passes & Farecards

7 day Unlimited Fast pass metro cards costs $47, you can buy them online or at any blue metro vending machine.

Don't buy the 7 day short pass though if you planning on using metro during rush hour.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,141,456 times
Bedbugs aren't a rampant problem in DC as they are in NYC. That's not to say they don't exist at all, but you won't find reports of infestations at every hotel in town.

If you are still concerned, some precations you can take: pack clothes in ziploc bags and keep the clothes in the bag and sealed except when you are taking items out of it. Keep pajamas in a separate bag. Set your luggage on the provided luggage rack, away from walls. When you get home, take your luggage directly to the washing machine and empty all of your garments directly into the machine and wash them. Do not mix with other garments.

You might want to contact the embassies of nepal and ecuador to talk about cultural opportunities that your students might be interested in. Embassies sometimes offer embassy tours, exhibits, performances, etc that are open to the public.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:19 PM

Default November 11th University Visit?

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I am considering arriving on November 11th (Veterans Day), so that students will not have to miss Thursday classes. Is this idea ill-advised either because of the flush of tourists or because various institutions will be closed? I know that the bureau of engraving will not open that day. Thanks

Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM

5,412 posts, read 1,375,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germangoy View Post
Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I am considering arriving on November 11th (Veterans Day), so that students will not have to miss Thursday classes. Is this idea ill-advised either because of the flush of tourists or because various institutions will be closed? I know that the bureau of engraving will not open that day. Thanks
It's a federal holiday, so federal employees will have off that day, and they probably won't be doing touristy stuff. I'm pretty sure the smithsonian is open on veterans' day, so if anything, it would be a good time to visit, and it's not freezing cold here yet, though it will be getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC